4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

transmission slipped? please help asap

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 06:28 PM
impaled
2nd Gear Member

Default transmission slipped? please help asap

i think my transmission was slipping on the way to college today. when i would step on the gas it would free-rev and then catch. it did that only on the way to college. on the way back i was duplicating every possible shifting situation and it wont do it again. i want it to slip again so i know that it is bad, or to never do it again.

here is my question... when a tranny slips once, how long is it before it slips again?

when my dad's tranny went out on his, it slipped once, and by the time we got it home it wasnt drivable.

so if i cant make it slip again (which i was trying to do because i want to know if it is still good or bad, as stupid as that sounds) did it slip in the first place? or do you think i just felt something weird and thought it was slipping?

also do automatic transmissions smell weird when they are dying? i have noticed weird smells in random times the last few weeks (oddly neverafter a high rpm shift or when i was driving it hard)and was now thinking that it might be my transmission, but i have never smelled it when i was the only car on the road, and it has never smelled after i have parked it.so, maybe i am thinking that it might not be my car that smells, but i really dont know. and right now, i am not even sure if it slipped because it wont do it again.

i am open to any opinions, and if you have any idea, please dont hesitate to post because i need some answers (or at least ideas).
Old 08-23-2007, 06:35 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

Default RE: transmission slipped? please help asap

i didnt read like the last few lines in your post cuz im in a hurry

after i beat the hell out of my car sometimes ill smell burning smells, its from the trans getting stupid hot

my buddy has had a t/a thats had a slippin tranny fro like 3 years so idk what to tell ya
Old 08-23-2007, 06:38 PM
shaun12
2nd Gear Member

i once destroyed an auto trans in a 95 GT...i didnt notice any odors or smels, but it did start out with one slip...then about a week and a half later...it wouldnt shift past 3rd gear. Then again...it did have about 190,000 miles on...

You need to have it looked at.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:04 PM
impaled
2nd Gear Member

the weird thing about the smell is that it has NEVER done it after i have beaten on it, and once i am parked, even if only like a minute after, i dont smell it. the smell must be coming from other cars and i am paranoid or something or just thinking about it now after it slipped.

the thing that i dont understand is that when i thought it slipped i wasnt driving it hard. the most importiant thing about my car to me is reliability, so i beat on it to see if it would slip again and it didnt. I beat on it because if it slipped again, i would know for sure that it needs to be rebuilt/swapped, and i would get it fixed and have a reliable car. reliabilitywas the reason that i sold my camaro and bought my mustang, as much as i loved it.

how longdo our 4R70W's last? i know it was treated really well by the previousowner andhe had it flushed and filled with synthetic every 10-15k (whichmight be a little excessive). i myself have treated the tranny relatively well, i jump on it occasionally, but not all the time. i have never eventaken my car past 5k rpm's.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:06 PM
impaled
2nd Gear Member

i forgot to mention i have ~85k on the clock.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:06 AM
FDNYBullitt
2nd Gear Member

First thing is to make sure the fluid level is where its supposed to be, low fluid is the first cause of slipping and burning up the trans. Next is the condition of the fluid, it may be time for a tranny tune-up but don't wait, do it now because you may just be on the edge and you'll save it from cooking itself,good luck.