4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Battery Light Turns On Intermittenly, Car Dies

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 01:11 AM
racemyski
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Battery Light Turns On Intermittenly, Car Dies

Does it help with diagnosis that my lights flicker even when my stereo is only turned up about half way?
There is a 250/1 and 300/4 amplifier running with a capacitor.
Voltage regulators are internal, eh?

Can you guys link an alternator install guide?
Old 09-30-2007, 01:37 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

It's not difficult to install at all...I can spell it out for you right here.

-dettach the neg. battery terminal
-loosen and removethe nut holding the main output wire from the top of the alternator
-remove the "quick-disconnect" plug from behind the alternator
-open the tensioner cover (it has 2 bolts holding it on)
-releive the belt from tension using a 1/2" size ratchet wrench, breaker bar, or torque wrench.
-take the belt off the alternator pulley
-loosen the alternator bracket from the 2 bolts that hold it to the intake
-remove the 2 larger bolts that sit under the left and right side of the alternator
-remove the alternator and attached bracket

reverse for putting it back in....helpful hint***put in the 2 bracket bolts first, then the 2 bolts under the alternator.

Just take it out, take it to the alternator shop, have them put in a new Voltage Regularor, and take it back home and drop it in...

oh and a stereo system wont do anything...I have 2 subs, the mach460, and 2 amps in my car...nothing wrong with that, unless you don't have the remote wire spliced into a 12v lead that only comes on with the key in the ON position. If the amps are ALWAYS running, then ya...you need to fix that.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:45 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: racemyski

As I was on my way home it happened again.... Ran for about two minutes and then went to ****.
2000GT4.6, you say the shorting was internal?

Anybody know where I can get a cheap alternator? Anyone know of an install guide?

****ze. This sucks. Any other ideas??? Everyone is pretty sure its the alternator?
Mine shorted around the post where it attaches to the main power wire. If you think its the alt, just take it off (really easy) and take it to an autoparts store. They will check it for free and tell you if it is damaged .
Old 09-30-2007, 02:02 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: racemyski

As I was on my way home it happened again.... Ran for about two minutes and then went to ****.
2000GT4.6, you say the shorting was internal?

Anybody know where I can get a cheap alternator? Anyone know of an install guide?

****ze. This sucks. Any other ideas??? Everyone is pretty sure its the alternator?
Mine shorted around the post where it attaches to the main power wire. If you think its the alt, just take it off (really easy) and take it to an autoparts store. They will check it for free and tell you if it is damaged .
Autoparts stores CAN NOT check our alternators...especially Autozone/Pepboys/Advanced auto. It is shaped in a way that does not allow them to run it on the bench tester...(thanks, Ford)

Alternator shops have a more advanced bench that will test it, but it's hard to find a good one locally. I was lucky to have one about7 miles from my house.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:23 PM
racemyski
1st Gear Member

?
Old 10-04-2007, 12:18 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like it could very well be a bad ground... when alternators have died on me in the past they just died.... no warning.... but it seems people have had the opposite happen here.... check for a bad ground first.... get a Haynes or some sort of manual to findout where it is if you cant find it... if the ground is tight and clean, then you may need a new alternator... I say new instead of getting yours re-built because you have a stereo! get a bigger alternator!
Old 10-04-2007, 01:55 PM
racemyski
1st Gear Member

Thanks, guys.

Anyone know where the main ground is located?
Old 10-09-2007, 06:22 PM
techsent
1st Gear Member

It's the alternator. change it for a new used one. go to your local gas station an order a used refurbished one from them (about $140.00)and install it yourself.

techsent
Old 10-25-2007, 11:47 PM
racemyski
1st Gear Member

UPDATE: Replaced my piece of "Cheney" Wal-Mart battery with another piece of "Cheney" Wal-Mart battery (free, of course). Problem solved, so far. Light hasn't come back, yet.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:06 AM
scfd524
2nd Gear Member

Since you replaced your battery and it seems to have fixed it, did you ever check your posts on the batteryand/or clean them and make sure everything was connected snug? Just curious.

Quick Reply: Battery Light Turns On Intermittenly, Car Dies