4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Pinhole Oil Leak from Oil Cooler Housing

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 05:21 PM
GGA

Default Pinhole Oil Leak from Oil Cooler Housing

1997 GT 4.6 V8 - There is an oil leak from the housing that the oil filter is mounted to, when the engine is running. I am not quite sure what this housing is that then connects to the engine block - my guess is that it is a cooler although the Haynes manual says only Cobras had this. Anyway, this leak is coming from a pinhole on this housing, the hole looks like it is supposed to be there.

So, my guess is that this hole is here for a reason ie; to indicate a leak from a seal within?

Anyone advise me on what this is, anyone run accross this problem before?

Cheers G
Old 10-28-2007, 10:02 PM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Pinhole Oil Leak from Oil Cooler Housing

Haynes is right the gt doesnt have an oil cooler. Take off the filter and find where it is coming from you may be able to use some JB weld to stop it.Was there any coolant mixed with your oil when you changed your oil last?
Old 10-28-2007, 10:40 PM
GGA

I have removed this item from my car now and it IS an oil cooler, even though I have a GT. Haynes is plain wrong, which is why I posted origionally.

The part number is: F6ZE-6A642-AC doesn't look to be readily available even from Ford. I have no oil/water mix in my coolant or in my oil. This thing is leaking oil and there is no way I can fix it so it will have to be a replacement. Does anyone know whether I can go for an aftermarket air cooler/kit?
Old 10-28-2007, 11:50 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

is it the thing on the block? or the part from that part to the filter??
Old 10-29-2007, 07:45 AM
GGA

Below is a picture of the offending item. Water - oil cooler for a Cobra (and some GT's too). I am looking for the adaptor/bracket that would go in place of this for a standard GT. If anyone knows where I can get one or the part number I would appreciate it. It will be cheaper and easier to do this and fit an aftermarket Air-oil cooler than replace this item. The only reference I have found for this is that it cost $500 to replace!!

Old 11-05-2007, 09:25 AM
felixr_lopez

You are absolutely right about a GT having an oil cooler. Hope this reaches you in time, do not buy a new unit. I have had the same problem. Whats happening is the following: There is a threaded lug where the oil filter screws on to well, you need a 1/2 inch allen wrench and you need to tighten this part. it probably got loose from vibration or when you took off your old oil filter last time you did an oil change. When this is loose, the pin hole will trow out all your oil through the pin hole, probably because it being loose cause the oil cooler to loose pressure or something.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Nine6SVT

fl,
Thanks so much for the post. 10 minute fix.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:10 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

so that hole was a telltale hole indicating that part has to be tightened?
Old 11-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Nine6SVT

Default Oil Leak

Originally Posted by vanquish
so that hole was a telltale hole indicating that part has to be tightened?
Yes. The oil poured out when the engine was runnning. Ruined my driveway. So I pulled the filter off and hand tighted the 1/2 inch allen and put the filter back on. Let in run for a long while and no leaks. Glad I wasn't on the highway.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:00 PM
mschwerin

hey thanks, i was looking a a new part today at the tune of 350 ill bring the wrench home and try it

Quick Reply: Pinhole Oil Leak from Oil Cooler Housing