4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I seriously need to know about intake manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 11:12 PM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

Default I seriously need to know about intake manifolds

Ok, I know people seem to ask a lot of questions about what is better for this or that. But I am just looking for options to do research on. I want to know what intake manifolds are available for a 2v motor. As some may have seen from previous posts I have a VT 302 stroker, EVERYTHING in this motor is built/strengthened/replaced... but for some strange reason is only running a stock PI intake manifold. That is my only bottleneck for what I want out of the car. I need an aluminum intake that flows better than stock PI, cut and dry.

I know of the P-51, Hardball'r and Typhoon.
Are those seriously the ONLY options I have? I just want to get a list of ALL of my options here. Thanks guys for any assistance.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:16 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: I seriously need to know about intake manifolds

ORIGINAL: Injected97GT

but for some strange reason is only running a stock PI intake manifold. That is my only bottleneck for what I want out of the car. I need an aluminum intake that flows better than stock PI, cut and dry.
what's wrong with the PI intake. The money could be spent better elsewhere.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:05 AM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

see your avitar pic? put 2 and 2 together lol. I am currently running a 100 wet shot and will be upping it to a 150. i am wanting an aluminum manifold for the off chance of and n2o backfire. ALSO, better flowing intake manifold couldn't hurt at all. with everything else built so strong and gone over so throroughly, i realy hate to leave a PI plastic manifold on there.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:18 AM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ZW99GT has the same stuff as me but has a stroker (I don't), stage 2 cams (I have custom) and he has a ported typhoon intake (I have stock PI) and I make more power than him. So do I think the PI intake is a bottle neck? No. If I did, I would have replaced it. I'll be running a 150 as well. Most dyno graphs you see on aftermarket 2v intakes loose power all through out the power band, then pick it up later on. Why pay that much money to loose anything? BTW ask JayC to post up the pic of what happens with a N2O backfire and an aluminum intake, it's not pretty.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:45 AM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

i just seem to be hearing a lot about the plastic manifolds being far more prone to getting destroyed and an aluminum one being able to "take it" in the case that a backfire does happen... in no way, shape or form do i want to lose an ounce of power lol. maybe ill just stick to getting the hood, dash, and n2o nozzle im planning on and save the intake for after i blow this one apart, IF i do... who knows. but i am still curious as to if there are any others out there other than the 3 i named.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:57 AM
blackonblacksls
3rd Gear Member

p51 seem to be the best for the daily, street, not super custom type car... to say the intake is not a restriction is kind of dumb because even if it does not hurt power down low, it seems to have been proved that it gives up at around 6200, the bullitt and other aftermarket ones seem to go to around 6500 to 6700.... 2vs suck for power, soi am a firm believer in spinning the crap out of them to be fast.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:53 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 01GT4.6

ZW99GT has the same stuff as me but has a stroker (I don't), stage 2 cams (I have custom) and he has a ported typhoon intake (I have stock PI) and I make more power than him. So do I think the PI intake is a bottle neck? No. If I did, I would have replaced it. I'll be running a 150 as well. Most dyno graphs you see on aftermarket 2v intakes loose power all through out the power band, then pick it up later on. Why pay that much money to loose anything? BTW ask JayC to post up the pic of what happens with a N2O backfire and an aluminum intake, it's not pretty.

Yessir, and I have BBK shorties. Your power(over me) comes from a badass set of cams and LT's. I'd be willing to agree with you and say your intake manifold isn't holding you back one bit.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

so ZW, are you saying that you believe that if you had some LTs and the same cams as he does, you don't think your aftermarket intake man. would make less power on your particular motor than his?
I mean, Like I said, N2O durrability is the main reason im looking into an aluminum intake anyway. BUT, everything else on this motor seems to have been built to be ***** to the wall, but the intake manifold not being replaced makes me think i might get something out of the added flow.

For those who don't know, here is everything i can emember right now(listing stuff, i always forget or leave something out):
-VT 302 Stroker
-Forged flat tops and I-beams from Probe
-Ported and polished heads
-VT Stage 2 cams(I had said comp before, but finaly talked to the guy who installed them and found out for sure they are VT cams, not comp)
-BBK LT's
-BBK o/r X pipe
-flowmaster 40s then dumps
-BBK plenum
-BBK 70mm throttle body
-some random short intake.
-PI Intake manifold
-Larger injectors that I still have not gotten ahold of the previous owner to ask about, pretty sure theyre 35# or in that area.
-high flow fuel pump
-ZEX wet kit with maximizer and purge kit, currently running a 100 shot

thats the majority of the engine stuff im thinking of. i could list every detail of suspension and drivetrain, but i dont think that is relevant to my question. and my fingers would get tired lol.
SO, with all that said, can people actualy, honestly, tell me that a better flowing intake manifold WOULDNT help?!?! I for some reason, am not believeing that. Although saving on my wallet would be nice...
Old 12-21-2007, 05:38 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

the aluminum intakes arent necessarily "better flowing" just because they say they are.

ive heard of people losing HP on blown cars with some of the aluminum intakes.

unless your going with real F/I in the future (turbo or blower because those can crack the plastic from the pressure) i would just leave that 1 on there unless it goes boom.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:57 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

ORIGINAL: 01GT4.6

Yessir, and I have BBK shorties. Your power(over me) comes from a badass set of cams and LT's. I'd be willing to agree with you and say your intake manifold isn't holding you back one bit.
I'll agree on the cams 100%, that's whyI recommend that everyone go with custom cams. I'm not sure if there is much diff between longtubes and shorties, probably some but I'd say that if you have up pullies (which I have the stockers), it probably makes up for the diff in the headers. What I've always wondered and maybe you can help me on this, is there much of a gain between a .020" motor and a stroker?

Quick Reply: I seriously need to know about intake manifolds