4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mustang Performance Packs

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 01:28 AM
ApexGT

Default Mustang Performance Packs

Hey guys, I have a '00 Mustang GT Conv. and am looking for an upgrade. I'm interested in the various "performance packs" that can be found from various manufacturers (Steeda has Power Paks, SLP has Performance Pacs, etc) that include multiple performance upgrades designed to work in conjunction to produce a given HP increase and save some money in the process. In your experience, what packs are available that you know of and which are more worth the money? Thanks.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:56 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang Performance Packs

Welcome, save your money and avoid these packs. The SLP pack is alright but far from a great deal.

If your looking for an upgrade start with your chassis, full length subframe connectors are among the first mods I'd recommend.

If you have a manual, MGW shifter, 3.73 gears, and a tuner. If you have an auto, jmod, 3.73's, tranny cooler, and a tuner.

Exhaust, get whatever catback you want, for the midpipe, choose one that matches where your at, if your in a smog **** area, get a catted x, it may not help reduce emissions but it'll be less of a hassle when your pulled over. Headers, our shorty headers are alright till about 300-350rwhp, then they begin to bottle neck the engine a bit, shorty to mid length headers are recommended for places with smog, longtubes are recommended over shorty/midlength in every way, unless you hafta pass visual.

That'd be where most mustang owners start, if ya have any other questions feel free to pm or start another thread.

Have fun man.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:44 AM
lewistk
2nd Gear Member

i would go with longtube headers and some gears, what do you have 5speed or auto?
Old 12-22-2007, 10:52 AM
ApexGT

Thank you for the advice, as well as the warm welcome. I am not living in an area in which smog is a problem (I live in Charleston, West Virginia). My Mustang is also a manual.

Another very important consideration for me is fuel economy, considering I drive my car to school (a 60 mile round trip) 4 times a day next year. I want to get upgrades that improve my performance, as well as improve, or at least not negatively effect, my gas mileage. Having said that, from what has been suggested, it seems that the only thing that may reduce mileage is the 3.73 final drive gear.

Thanks again.

Edit: Are weld-in sub frame connectors worth the $50 price jump over bolt-on?
Old 12-22-2007, 11:58 AM
True Blue Racing
2nd Gear Member

Yes the weld-in at worth the $50 jump. if you are looking to improve fuel milage go with exhaust and a cold air intake.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:20 PM
lewistk
2nd Gear Member

go with a cold air intake, and exhaust. but if you want some fun driving go with some gears. 3.73s will not affect your mpg that much to worry about. dont buy any of those fuel savers if thats what your thinking about! they all have a big negative effect. there is a sticky of it on this site.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Bolt in's are useless as they require drilling into the chassis and that just makes the chassis weaker.. Cold air intakes gains are really debatable, if your looking for similar gains, remove the snorkel from your stock air box.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:11 PM
ApexGT

I'm looking for increased performance first and fuel economy gains second; If it improves economy, but impares performance, I don't want it. Similarly, if it increases performance and noticeably reduces economy, I don't want it either. Something that increases performance
while improving economy is perfect. All of the suggestions so far seem to meet this criteria, so all is well. :-)

And yes, I'll be sure to go with weld-on connectors.

Something I certainly should have mentioned earlier, the Mustang has a Flowmaster exhaust (what type, I'm unsure) and a K&N filter from the previous owner. Other than this and an aftermarket amp for the Mach 460, the car is completely stock as far as I know.

Now, how does Flowmaster compare to other exhausts? Would it be beneficial to replace it with another, "better" exhaust (especially since I didn't pay for it) or keep it and move on to other improvements? Also, how does the performance air filter weigh in with the cold air intake? Is the intake still recommended?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, hospitality, and patience.

Edit: By the way, is there any particular site that seems better than the others in terms of price and availability for these items? I'm not much of a shopper...
Old 12-22-2007, 06:00 PM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

For a DD with mpg in mind, heres what I would do:

-CAI
-TB/Plenum
-Underdrive Pullies
-New Midpipe (O/R if you can, plus a tune or MILS)
-Catback

and then do other maitenance mods like always keeping your tires properly inflated, royal purple oil all the way around, oil, fuel filter and spark plug changingas needed.

plus you can get yourself a handheld tuner and have someone get you a performance tune for fun weekends/track and an 87 economy tune for daily driving.

Of course the best MPG mod is removing lead from your foot
Old 12-22-2007, 08:39 PM
ApexGT

I am considering perhaps doing all the bolt-on mods I plan on doing, then getting a SCT Eliminator chip. The ability to switch tunes from within the car instantly is very desirable to me. This way, I could have an economy tune for everyday driving. But, if I want to have some fun, impress an occupant, or if a ricer revs his engine at a stoplight, I can switch the selector to "2" and go forth.

Edit: What all should I get for the 3.73 gears besides the actual gear itself? Would I need both the master bearings and the installation kit?

Quick Reply: Mustang Performance Packs