4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Problem..

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 02:47 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

Default Problem..

I went to buy a programmer last night from another member. We unhooked the fuel shutoff in the trunk and then hooked up the programmer. We tried 2 times to upload the tune and it said it was unable to. We then looked to see if my car had already been chipped since it had many mods on it already when I bought it. Sure enough it had a Diablosport chip.

On my way home the CEL (Check Engine Light for those of you that don't know) came on.

I went to Auto Zone and it threw 2 codes P1639 & P1233.

One was a computer aux something, and the other said Manufacturer air and fuel something (I'm thinking MAF?)

Could I have ruined the chip by trying to upload the tune? Can unplugging the Fuel shutoff have also triggered something? I just find it odd it happened immediately after I tried to upload that tune.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:58 PM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Problem..

TTT
Old 12-27-2007, 03:00 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

ive never heard of anyone unplugging the fuel cutoff in the trunk to use a handheld, that shouldnt be necessary. you probably screwed up the chip, if you got far along enough for the handheld to save your original tune, id say try restoring whatever it saved. if not, i think the chip might be screwed.

this is all what i think, ive never run into this occuring. but good luck and keep us updated.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:52 PM
nyuk98gt

ripped camel:

Reset the PCM (remove the negative cable from the battery for 15 minutes) and see if that helps. Clearing the keep alive memory (KAM) may be all that is required. A handheld programmer often can't "reach" the PCM to upload the tune because the chip blocks it.I have not read of anyone having killed a chip by attempting to flash a chipped PCM, maybe you are the first? Usually, the main problem stated is "the tune won't upload" and the solution is to pull the chip off. Like 2002GTAUTOVERT said, you only need to pull the fuel pump and fan fuses in the engine bay fuse panel. (Some people don't bother but if you lose battery voltage during an upload, you risk having to have your car towed to the dealer for a full flash and resetting PATS. I have read a few threads on that subject so be careful.)

GL and post back with an update, please.

Chris
Old 12-27-2007, 03:53 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The P1639 code is saying that the Vehicle ID (VID) in the PCM program is corrupt or not-programmed. If the Diablosport chip is a "4-bank" unit then youmight be able to just unplug it andthen be running on the OEM tune. The piggyback modules do not overwrite the original tune, they just disable it and substitute their programming--however your attempts to flash the PCM may have hosed things up.[/align][/align]However, if the Diablo "chip" is a single bank unit then you probably have mangled the OEM tune and maybe the Diablo overlay data--in that case a trip to a good tuning shop (or heaven forbid a Ford dealership) will be required to get things straigtened out. [/align][/align]This is one area where the Sniper Delta Force package shines--if there's a Sniper shop in your area they will fix things up lickety split.[/align][/align]The P1233 code is saying that the PCM cannot monitor the fuel pump operation--obviously it's working or you couldn't drive the car, but it sounds like the code that does the monitoring got scrambled.[/align][/align][/align]-------------------[/align]BTW--the "disable the fuel pump" stuff is old school thinking, from back top the days when on some cars (MAF equipped in the AFM to MAF switchover era) the fuel pump ran whenever the key was in RUN. On the new-edge Mustangs it runs for 1 second and then shuts down until engine rotation is sensed.[/align]
Old 12-27-2007, 04:13 PM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

^^^ I always enjoy reading your posts cliff
Old 12-27-2007, 04:38 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

Man talk about Irony! I look for a programmer, go to upload it, find out I was blessed with already having a chip, then find out I ruined it! [:@]

I'm going to try the negative cable reset thing.

I called around and so far they want way to much to reflash the chip. So I might just end up buying the programmer.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

The negative reset will not work for your PCM. ECU's with OBD2 now have a type of CMOS. I highly doubt you ruined your ECU or your chip.

I don't understand what's your cars problems. Take it to someone with a Tech2 and have them read everything thats going on.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:56 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I know for a fact that if you plug a handheld into a car that is already tuned, it will erase the previous tune. I've never had a chip, but can't see why it would be any different. Just have the chip that was already in your car reprogrammed. That's why your throwing codes. Just have it retuned.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:00 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

my understanding of a handheld was it copied the current tune immeadietly assuming it was OEM, so if you wanna remove the say "93 octane" tune and go back to stock you can. but i dunno ill leave this to the full on pro's

Quick Reply: Problem..