4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

t56 transmission swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 12:09 AM
aynjell
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: t56 transmission swap

I plan on doing something similar to this. if you're involved in teardown or installation, please post pics. Also, I think the t56 is lighter than the auto, but I guess I wouldn't know. I haven't seen any t56's here at work but I'm sure we have them at least in camaro spec.

T56 will tolerate more hate and abuse, and has a much firmer shift and at least the cobra I toyed with had a stronger clutch feel. I know there are a few picture included documents on the web detailing how to install a T56 into a Manual GT. Some minor body work (read hammering the **** out of) is required where your stick would go or somewheres about, also if you don't want to buy another driveshaft you'll have to cut the stock one, but I'd reccomend just buying an alluminum one. Stronger, and you don't have to take chances on being even 1/1000 too short. *shrug* Only 180$ more, might as well do it right.

Also, if you decide to bail on the project, I'll cover shipping and will pass you my tranny for the t56. =)

Might be useful link:

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...sion/swap.html ( i know it's for a fox, but it's still a similar process)

Anything can be done if you're willing to put time, money and effort into it.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:54 AM
V8Cody
3rd Gear Member

I swapped out the ****ty T45 from my GT with a T56, IMO i think it was defintely worth it. Costed $3700, but its something I will never worry about again. You need to get a shorter driveshaft, new clutch, flywheel, shifter, frame brace....i think i might be missing something.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: V8Cody

I swapped out the ****ty T45 from my GT with a T56, IMO i think it was defintely worth it. Costed $3700, but its something I will never worry about again. You need to get a shorter driveshaft, new clutch, flywheel, shifter, frame brace....i think i might be missing something.
Do you mind telling me about how you made the harness match up and such? I'll be getting the parts and labor for a bit less than that.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:35 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: GhostRider02GT

IMO, its not worth it, the only one truly worth it, and this is just my opinion, is the viper spec t-56 b/c of the super high 6th gear ratio.

You have a 6 bolt flywheel, the cobra is an 8, you will need a gt flywheel, you can pick one up for around 100 bux
The only real help is when you want a good gear still after 110-120 MPH (depending on your rear gear ratio). The .80 first overdrive gear (5th) is what gives the LS1 fbody and 03/04 cobra that legendary "top end" pull... they are still at a .80 overdrive when shifting into 5th while a 5 speed car is lugging it out at .67 or less.

In other words, if racing above 110-120 MPH is your thing, it will help out. otherwise, its just a wasted gear.
yea see, I like the top end racing. The viper spec has a .74 ratio in 5th, while the .80 in the cobra spec. BUT the cobra spec has a .63 6th gear ratio ~.67 5th gear ratio of the 3650. Also the viper spec has a .50 6th gear which could make crusing with low rear end gears tolerable on the highway

edit: oh and you can cruise at the same RPM with 4.30s+t56(viper) in 6th and the stock 3.27+3650 in the 5th
Old 01-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

IMO, its not worth it, the only one truly worth it, and this is just my opinion, is the viper spec t-56 b/c of the super high 6th gear ratio.

You have a 6 bolt flywheel, the cobra is an 8, you will need a gt flywheel, you can pick one up for around 100 bux
The only real help is when you want a good gear still after 110-120 MPH (depending on your rear gear ratio). The .80 first overdrive gear (5th) is what gives the LS1 fbody and 03/04 cobra that legendary "top end" pull... they are still at a .80 overdrive when shifting into 5th while a 5 speed car is lugging it out at .67 or less.

In other words, if racing above 110-120 MPH is your thing, it will help out. otherwise, its just a wasted gear.
yea see, I like the top end racing. The viper spec has a .74 ratio in 5th, while the .80 in the cobra spec. BUT the cobra spec has a .63 6th gear ratio ~.67 5th gear ratio of the 3650. Also the viper spec has a .50 6th gear which could make crusing with low rear end gears tolerable on the highway

edit: oh and you can cruise at the same RPM with 4.30s+t56(viper) in 6th and the stock 3.27+3650 in the 5th
The t56 weighs less than the 4r70w, shifts when I need it to and I can be sure of what gear I am in when I am coming out of a corner, I do not know if you drag guys know how important it is to be in the correct gear.

During slaloms and portions of an autox track where I can keep my foot on the gas through a turn I am quicker than a friend of mine by 1-3 seconds, (his manual eibach coilovers(he'll be tossing them and getting mm's soon) and full length subframes and mine auto, mm coilovers, extreme duty lca, and welded full length subframes.) main reason tho is that I have 2 more events under my belt compared to him. While coming out of a turn with light braking I am more than a full second slower than him out of the corners. I also have a jmoded and tuned auto, a tc will do nothing for me in this situation as it is the bog that happens when I go wot out of the corner. A 2-4 second swing is big whether your talking about drag or road course. Especially when your in similar cars.

The t56 has also been proven to withstand the brutal beating of 600-700rwhp/tq cobra's launching on a drag, so I figure with my power goal being under that, that means I wont have to worry as much about the tranny crapping out on me after a blower install (which means I'll be broke for awhile heh)
Old 01-10-2008, 03:27 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aereon

The t56 weighs less than the 4r70w, shifts when I need it to and I can be sure of what gear I am in when I am coming out of a corner, I do not know if you drag guys know how important it is to be in the correct gear.

During slaloms and portions of an autox track where I can keep my foot on the gas through a turn I am quicker than a friend of mine by 1-3 seconds, (his manual eibach coilovers(he'll be tossing them and getting mm's soon) and full length subframes and mine auto, mm coilovers, extreme duty lca, and welded full length subframes.) main reason tho is that I have 2 more events under my belt compared to him. While coming out of a turn with light braking I am more than a full second slower than him out of the corners. I also have a jmoded and tuned auto, a tc will do nothing for me in this situation as it is the bog that happens when I go wot out of the corner. A 2-4 second swing is big whether your talking about drag or road course. Especially when your in similar cars.

The t56 has also been proven to withstand the brutal beating of 600-700rwhp/tq cobra's launching on a drag, so I figure with my power goal being under that, that means I wont have to worry as much about the tranny crapping out on me after a blower install (which means I'll be broke for awhile heh)
My point is, with the cobra transmission you are no better off performance wise with a 6 speed than a 5 speed unless you are interested in 108-120+ MPH performance (depending on gear ratio). Compared to another 5 speed like a TKO etc it will offer no performance gain due to the extra gear, as you still cannot run any higher gear ratio with the similar 6th compared to 5th.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:17 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aereon

My point is, with the cobra transmission you are no better off performance wise with a 6 speed than a 5 speed unless you are interested in 108-120+ MPH performance (depending on gear ratio). Compared to another 5 speed like a TKO etc it will offer no performance gain due to the extra gear, as you still cannot run any higher gear ratio with the similar 6th compared to 5th.
Your argument would have more validity if he was going from a 5 speed to a 6 speed but he's not. He has an auto, he wants a manual, he found a complete cobra setup, I'm confused on why he shouldn't do this. Even if nothing else the T-56(cobra) will always give you 2 things over your stock 5 speed, strength and the ability to run a shorter gear. Why would he go out and buy a TKO at this point. Did your TKO come with a peddle assembly for the swap? He's going to have a tough time with out it. I say do it and don't look back.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

Aereon,
I am about to do the same swap in my GT convert (w/ an Auto) and I contacted Prestige Mustang parts (Wrecked mustang salvage yard) at 1-866-45-Stang and they seem to be very knowledgeable in this area. They priced me everything that I wouldneed to install a used T-56 in my auto gt for $2,500. That included the wiring harness to hook it up and the drive shaft. Ialso purchased a used mach 1 pedal assembly on ebay for$79.00 that willwork with the T-56. However, I believe youcan use any (99-04) pedal assemblies for the swap.

I should be getting ready to put the T-56 in sometime around mid February, and should be able to provide more insight and pictures on the install, sinceI will be doing it my self. If you install yours before then, definitely post something to let us know how it went!
Old 03-09-2008, 09:25 PM
nice89notch

Figured I would put my two cents in. I have a 95 gt with a viper 6sp. It was an original automatic. It works great with 4:10 gears, and shifts awesome.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

I am actually picking up my car from the shop on Tuesday.

Getting the t56, aluminum driveshaft, dshaft safety loop, mgw short throw, and bullitt pedals installed=P ^^

And I'm getting it for a pretty damn good deal=P

Quick Reply: t56 transmission swap