4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Procharger question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 12:22 PM
kecclest
2nd Gear Member

Default Procharger question

I just picked up a procharger P600-B on ebay. It isn't a complete kit, however because the guy sold it because he upgraded head units. The auction did include head unit, bracket, oil fittings, oil pressure line, oil fitting for the oil pan, idler pulley, shaft and spacers, inlet tube w/ filter, and new belt.
My question is, what other parts will I need? I have a '98 and it is my understanding that they require different parts than the 96 and 97s? I need the bolts to install it as well, and I don't have any specs on those...
About what I want from this setup... I am only looking for low boost. I only want 300-350 whp. Maybe 6-8 psi of boost, because I have the PI heads, and I don't want detonation with my higher compression. I already have 100 shot, which I'll probably take out of the car to reduce any temptations... maybe I'll put the smallest jets possible in it and have it there for the intercooling effect.
Also, I bought a set of stage 2 pnp heads that I have yet to install... are there any gaskets I could use to decrease compression a bit? I've seen the cosmetic gaskets, but they are freakin' expensive. What cam would work best with this? Nothing too extreme... don't want any PTV issues.
I plan on getting it tuned after installing all of this. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:23 PM
kecclest
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Procharger question

Does anybody have the installation instructions for this kit?
Old 01-06-2008, 02:38 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

You have 160k on your bottom end and you want to throw this stuff on it???? Crazy. waste of time and money. Anyways that's your business.
Your kit will be fine for the 98. The only dif that I can think of is they send out a different tuner chip for the 98's because they had a diff. computer tune for thatyear to get 10hp more than 96/97's. You will need injectors, bigger fuel pump, fmu, nuts/bolts, oil feed line, plumbing. You can use regular fuel line for running air hoses and stuff, you need a tuner and a custom tune. Also, with the p600b, I think the max pulley upgrade you can throw on them is 8 or 9lbs. You want an intercooler if you want to make nice gains. Just a s/c is not hardly enough for quality gains, but it will get you at 350rwhp easy with stage 2 heads and cams. Throw an intercooler onthere and you'll get 400rwhp
Old 01-06-2008, 03:25 PM
kecclest
2nd Gear Member

Excellent. Thank you for the good info. I know it is kind of crazy doing all this with that many miles on the odometer, but I can't really be sure anything is really stock on my car. When I bought it, I did not realize all that was done to it... such as PI stuff, rear gears, etc... alot was done before I got the car. So, I suppose when I take the oil pan off to tap it for oil plumbing, I will have a look and see what kind of rods are being used. With any luck, they'll be upgraded, but I'm not going to count on that. I will however count on starting a savings for a new shortblock, but I just couldn't pass up the deal on the procharger.
I have read that an fmu is not necessary if I get a proper tune, is this so? I'm thinking about an ebay special for the intercooler. It doesn't look like much, but they are only 250 bucks for a cheapo intercooler and piping. The max psi for this supercharger is 24 psi, per the chart on procharger's website: http://www.procharger.com/models.shtml
I only want 8 psi though, so the P600B should suffice.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:28 PM
kecclest
2nd Gear Member

Oh yeah, and I'm diggin' the targa top. Did you do that yourself? How much to do that?
Old 01-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

I had 100k on my bottomend before I procharged my car. I've got the pi swap also and you're really gonna want to take a lot of timing out on 8psi to prevent detonation on 93 octane. Tim put my total timing on 10.5*, he said I had like 11.47:1 CR with the ford racing headchange gasgets. He also made the comment that he had no idea where the books came up with the 10:1 CR that they all say. Also I'm not running a FMU since I upgraded my injectors and fuel pump the FMU is not needed.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:51 PM
kecclest
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, my car is about 10.5:1... actually... it is 10.5:1 on one bank and 9.5:1 on the other due to differences in timing from side to side. I will be fixing that issue when I install my new heads and cams. Did you have any issues with the stage 2 comp cams? I heard they might have PTV clearance issues. I am hoping to get about the same numbers as you have. I would be very happy with that. I don't want to push it too much. Since you pulled so much timing, would it be a better idea to just go with stage 1 comp cams? I'm also thinking about a custom grind, but I'll figure that out soon.
Do you still have any of the installation instructions for the procharger kit Chris98Gt?
Old 01-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

My cams are npi cams so they don't have any problems, but you should be ok with pi cams just as long as you don't get too much duration. I do have the instructions and you can call procharger and get an install kit with the right idler pulley and bolts for your car and they'll send you a install manual too. Do you have the mounting bracket for the 96-98gt's? It is different than the 2000+ gt's. Just curious what #'s are you making on motor? I made 271/281 with the stock t/b and plentum.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:08 PM
kecclest
2nd Gear Member

Yup, I have the bracket for 96-98. I didn't realize I could buy a bolt kit from procharger, that would be sweet. I got your message on my other thread... what vortech pump did you run? The only one I have found is like $240. Thats twice the price of the Walbro. It is my understanding that the Walbro needs minor modification to work, so is it worth the extra money for the vortech?
Old 01-06-2008, 04:10 PM
kecclest
2nd Gear Member

Also, what injectors do you use? Did you run an FMU? I'm sorry I'm asking all these questions, but I'm learning alot.
Thank you much.

Quick Reply: Procharger question