4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I Need Seafoam Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 08:30 PM
djcrawf777

Default I Need Seafoam Advice

I want to know everything there is to know about Seafoam. Any experiences?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:42 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I Need Seafoam Advice

Some people think its snake oil, (me being one of them), some people will live by it and say it does wonders. Its basically just pure petroleum that you run through your car, (you can run it through the gas tank, you can pour it in the crank case or you can feed it through the PCV valve, or all three at same time. It is supposed to burn excess carbon build up and clean all parts in the engine. It's advertised as a cure-all, basically. It makes your car blow thick smoke for a while if you put it through the PCV valve, some people say thats all the carbon that is burning off, some people say its just the product itself making all the smoke. Personally, I wouldnt pay 6 bucks for a can of petroleum to watch my car smoke when it wasn't smoking before. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:04 PM
nyuk98gt

djcrawf777:

Let mesuggest that you check out "auto-rx.com"and "bitog.com" (bob is the oil guy site) before you give Seafoam a try. I'm not saying anything negative about Seafoam but you want to make an informed decision, lol. Seafoam has its place but it might not be what your engine needs.

HTH,

Chris
Old 01-17-2008, 01:37 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It's place is as suggested on their website here...[/align][/align]It was made for marine (hence the name) and other engines that run cold or sit unused forextended periods--unless you have one of the listed problems it does nothing except **** off the neighbors. It is mostly kerosene, with a small amount of some more volatile organic solvents.[/align]
Old 01-17-2008, 01:43 PM
CarolinaCobras

My brother ran it thru his 98 Cobra and smoked out half of SC. He says it hasn't ran right since.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:17 PM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

Mobil1 synthetic motor oil will keep your engine very very clean. There's no need for seafoam and all of these other products, IMO.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:25 PM
nyuk98gt

ORIGINAL: CarolinaCobras

My brother ran it thru his 98 Cobra and smoked out half of SC. He says it hasn't ran right since.
There's a very good chance that the O2 sensors became fouled as a result of the treatment. All that carbon has to go somewhere, lol. If your brother has access to a datalogger (e.g.--XCal2 and a laptop), he can watch the sensors switch (or not) and can judge for himself whether they are in need of replacement.

Chris
Old 01-17-2008, 10:31 PM
CarolinaCobras

ORIGINAL: nyuk98gt

ORIGINAL: CarolinaCobras

There's a very good chance that the O2 sensors became fouled as a result of the treatment. All that carbon has to go somewhere, lol. If your brother has access to a datalogger (e.g.--XCal2 and a laptop), he can watch the sensors switch (or not) and can judge for himself whether they are in need of replacement.

Chris

Possibly. He has a SCT flash tuner and has upgraded the software per downloads. He was told that the new software would remedy the issue.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:35 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Seafoam is snake oil.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:22 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

I'd never use it, I agree with cliffyk

Quick Reply: I Need Seafoam Advice