4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Nitrous on High Mileage Motor??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 08:27 AM
BlackMUstang96GT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Nitrous on High Mileage Motor??

ORIGINAL: MU71L4710N

just check over everything (vaccume lines and crap like that), get a compression test, all that stuff and if it all checks out okay then go for it. buddies cobra had over 150k on the clock and he went through bottles all day w/ a 100 shot.

All the vaccum lines and everything seem to be alright. The only thing I need to do it get a compression test, how much would a shop charge to do the test? Thanks for the help!
Old 03-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

100k is breakin time unlless the owner is/was a tool and didn't take care of the engine. Just do the basic checks. If it's gonna fail it's gonna no matter if you give it a shot or not.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanRicer87

wet zex kit, and i dropped a full second in the quarter and trapped 10 mph faster. the only reason i lost power na is because the timing is set back 4 degrees from stock.
You should up it 2 degrees that's way too much timing retarded.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:36 PM
03GTVert
2nd Gear Member

Just remember one good rule of thumb whenver putting a power adder on your car:

If you can't afford for it to break your engine, don't do it.

You'll probably be fine with only a 75 shot, but remember, unlike a supercharger or turbo, n2o hits immediately and all at once. That can be hard on the internals, especially if they're a bit worn from long use.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:45 PM
BlackMUstang96GT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03GTVert

Just remember one good rule of thumb whenver putting a power adder on your car:

If you can't afford for it to break your engine, don't do it.

You'll probably be fine with only a 75 shot, but remember, unlike a supercharger or turbo, n2o hits immediately and all at once. That can be hard on the internals, especially if they're a bit worn from long use.

Alright Thanks for the info! Ill keep everything in mind.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:17 PM
03GTVert
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackMUstang96GT

It's just really sad to see when you have some guy who scrapes together the pennies from under the seats to finally (barely) be able to put the n2o or a blower on his car.. then a few weeks or months later he's in a major jam because his only form of transportation has a connecting rod sticking out the side of the block and he has no way to pay for a new engine.

That's not to say that there aren't a lot of people who do it and get away with it, because plenty of people do. It just really sucks for those that come up on the short end of the stick.

I know that I'd probably cry real tears if my forged shortblock grenaded and it would HURT to come up with the cash to fix it, but first, my Mustang is an "extra" car, it's not my only form of transportation and second, even though it would hurt a lot, I could come up with the money to get a new engine if I had to.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Old 03-06-2008, 01:41 PM
josh.davis
3rd Gear Member

dude if your car oil has been change on time, you should be fine. I would start running royal purple though. You can buy it at O-really auto parts. If i were you, i would not run the zex system, b/c i have a friend that has had the box go bad on him after 3 months. He still had stock air intake, and box leaked gas into his air intake box. There was a puddle of gas in it.

Its still the best money i have ever spent.[sm=wootwoot.gif]
Old 03-06-2008, 01:46 PM
BlackMUstang96GT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03GTVert

It's just really sad to see when you have some guy who scrapes together the pennies from under the seats to finally (barely) be able to put the n2o or a blower on his car.. then a few weeks or months later he's in a major jam because his only form of transportation has a connecting rod sticking out the side of the block and he has no way to pay for a new engine.

That's not to say that there aren't a lot of people who do it and get away with it, because plenty of people do. It just really sucks for those that come up on the short end of the stick.

I know that I'd probably cry real tears if my forged shortblock grenaded and it would HURT to come up with the cash to fix it, but first, my Mustang is an "extra" car, it's not my only form of transportation and second, even though it would hurt a lot, I could come up with the money to get a new engine if I had to.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

I just need something to give me some power for this summer and then this winter if everything goes well I hope to buy a shortblock with all forged internals. I am going to be very careful with the nitrous setup and prob wont use it too much, I just want something that when a fast import or Trams Am pulls up beside me I can give him a run. I understand everything that you have mentioned and I know the consequences that can happen. And Im glad you have gave me your opionion on thisbecause I do have second thoughts about it. If I dont go nitrous can u give me any other options that I can help me out with power, I want something that I can at least notice a difference in power? And thatwill be under $600. Thanks for all the info!!! It helps out greatly!
Old 03-06-2008, 02:27 PM
03GTVert
2nd Gear Member

I just need something to give me some power for this summer and then this winter if everything goes well I hope to buy a shortblock with all forged internals. I am going to be very careful with the nitrous setup and prob wont use it too much, I just want something that when a fast import or Trams Am pulls up beside me I can give him a run. I understand everything that you have mentioned and I know the consequences that can happen. And Im glad you have gave me your opionion on thisbecause I do have second thoughts about it. If I dont go nitrous can u give me any other options that I can help me out with power, I want something that I can at least notice a difference in power? And thatwill be under $600. Thanks for all the info!!! It helps out greatly!
I know how you feel, but unfortunately there really isn't anything significant you can do to actually add HP for that kind of cash OTHER than n2o.

BUT! Looking at your mods, I notice that you don't list gears. Personally, I'd add gears WAY before adding n2o. You'll notice a BIG difference in how your car feels with a set of 4.10's or even 3.73's.

The best part about gears is that you feel the difference any time you get on it and there's no bottles to re-fill, no window switches to worry about, no blown intakes and no additional strain on your engine.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:52 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

PI swap and gears. surprised no one mentioned a PI swap for you yet.

i wouldnt get the zex kits. zex is a good first timer kit because it leaves little to the imagination on installation, but like said when one thing in the box goes, your SOL (and other kits are not at all hard to install). on a different system you could just change or rebuild a solenoid or something. NX = good stuff.

Quick Reply: Nitrous on High Mileage Motor??