4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

electric water pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 10:45 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

Default electric water pump

after reading some of oxford's post about his eletric water pump wanted to hear other ppls thoughts on it, worth the investment?
Old 03-08-2008, 10:53 PM
AmericanRicer87
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: electric water pump

i understang that they are reliable, but as far as putting one in a daily or weekend driver i wouldn't do it. Now full out race car, definately.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:54 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

like someone else said in another thread.. every bit counts, they are just like UDPs.. 3-6 hp for like $200+
Old 03-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: avlon06

like someone else said in another thread.. every bit counts, they are just like UDPs.. 3-6 hp for like $200+
They are nothing like UDP's. unless you mean that they reduse resiprocating drive train loss. They do not increase any pulley size like on UDP's. They simpley act as a dead pulley creating zero drag, allowing the free more hp. I know many people who have them and it will be one of my final mods. 11rwhp is what a few of my friends have had on dyno days where we rented dyno's for the entire day to try different mods and settings.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:21 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sxynerd

ORIGINAL: avlon06

They are nothing like UDP's. unless you mean that they reduse resiprocating drive train loss. They do not increase any pulley size like on UDP's. They simpley act as a dead pulley creating zero drag, allowing the free more hp. I know many people who have them and it will be one of my final mods. 11rwhp is what a few of my friends have had on dyno days where we rented dyno's for the entire day to try different mods and settings.
not saying they act like UDP's but more like the dollar to hp value...
Old 03-08-2008, 11:30 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

IMO it would be a better investment than UDPs in every way. Your engine will run cooler and you'll pick up more hp. Its a little more expensive, but gives much better results. I don't know why everyone is so scared of running one on a DD. They have been pretty reliable from what I've heard.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

And if you ever decide to s/c you wont have to sell the WP like you would the UDP's.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:06 AM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

ok. to add to this post... i honestly want to know, from someone who knows from real experience, WHY everyone says they shouldn't run it on a DD. And no more "cuz this guy said so and he knows" or "cuz my mechanic said" or "this guy said it to that guy who told these guys, and i saw it written on a forum somewhere" crap. Just straight up, a real world reason they say not to use it on a dd.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:07 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Injected97GT

ok. to add to this post... i honestly want to know, from someone who knows from real experience, WHY everyone says they shouldn't run it on a DD. And no more "cuz this guy said so and he knows" or "cuz my mechanic said" or "this guy said it to that guy who told these guys, and i saw it written on a forum somewhere" crap. Just straight up, a real world reason they say not to use it on a dd.
There is no reason not to use one on a DD. On some applications, however, the electric water pumps available don't provide enough circulation to provide ample cooling for extended driving. They do enough to get the car down the track and back without overheating but not much more than that. As far as reliability being an issue, I don't see that as a valid arguement since the belt driven pumps are subject to failing just like anything else. In fact water pumps tend to fail a lot.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:37 AM
StangEatsRice
3rd Gear Member

Isn't it like $360-375 after the actual water pump and the relay kit? Little steep.

Quick Reply: electric water pump