4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

anyone else's clutch do this? or is mine about to go...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 11:56 AM
MoKo_04GT
4th Gear Member

Default anyone else's clutch do this? or is mine about to go...

im guessing the stocker clutch is on its way out. after i get on it a few times, bangin thru the gears (example: racing 2 stop lights in a row, by the time im at the 3rd light), my clutch seems to become "spongy"....almost like its not there. like the pedal will go damn near all the way to the floor, just barely pressing on it. but....if i chill, and not get on it for a minute.....maybe pump the clutch a few times....then it will go back to normal. does anyone elses clutch do this? is this what happens/signs of a clutch about to go? i know the throw out bearing has been "noisy" for well over a year now. lol p.s. still stock clutch with about 70k miles.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

Default RE: anyone else's clutch do this? or is mine about to go...

My stocker did that after it got HOTT.... running the 1/4 twice or more. My Tranny went before the Clutch so i had to upgrade clutch anyway..
Old 03-11-2008, 01:42 PM
lexy
3rd Gear Member

Most clutches do that, don't worry. You'll know when its going out. you can put it in fifth and floor it and if it slips then you need to replace it!
Old 03-11-2008, 02:45 PM
MoKo_04GT
4th Gear Member

thank you for letting me know, im not alone out there! i was starting to worry.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:50 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It's a cable operated clutch, if it is really going "damn near all the way to the floor, just barely pressing on it" when it heats up then something is wrong. As a sort of wildshot I'd speculate thatthe Belleville spring in the pressure plate is shot from getting smoking hot one or more times.[/align][/align]Pumping the pedal with a cable operated clutch should not fix (or cause) anything...[/align]
Old 03-11-2008, 02:56 PM
MoKo_04GT
4th Gear Member

so yours doesnt do this? you dont notice any difference in the feeling of your clutch, after bangin thru the gears a few races in a row?
Old 03-11-2008, 04:00 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

I thought these were hydraulic clutches. Even as hydraulic clutches wear, they compensate so it still has good clutch feel.I think it is just happening because of the clutch being heated up.

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

It's a cable operated clutch, if it is really going "damn near all the way to the floor, just barely pressing on it" when it heats up then something is wrong. As a sort of wildshot I'd speculate thatthe Belleville spring in the pressure plate is shot from getting smoking hot one or more times.[/align][/align]Pumping the pedal with a cable operated clutch should not fix (or cause) anything...[/align]
Old 03-11-2008, 05:13 PM
lexy
3rd Gear Member

I had my GT for 3 years took it to the strip at least 10 times clutch never went out and everytime it felt soft after a run. I just ended up putting a kingcobra on it just cuz i bought one.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:02 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vanquish

I thought these were hydraulic clutches. Even as hydraulic clutches wear, they compensate so it still has good clutch feel. I think it is just happening because of the clutch being heated up.

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

It's a cable operated clutch, if it is really going "damn near all the way to the floor, just barely pressing on it" when it heats up then something is wrong. As a sort of wild shot I'd speculate that the Belleville spring in the pressure plate is shot from getting smoking hot one or more times.[/align] [/align]Pumping the pedal with a cable operated clutch should not fix (or cause) anything...[/align]

Nope, these clutches are not hydrolic. The cable goes from the fork, through the firewall and then to the pedal. No hydrolic assist at all.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:17 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Sounds like a worn out pressure plate. I'd upgrade the clutch now, before it does start to slip.

Quick Reply: anyone else's clutch do this? or is mine about to go...