4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

upgrades while waiting for supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 01:12 PM
greenlantern77

Default upgrades while waiting for supercharger

i want to supercharge my mustang but just dont have the money right now. I want to get the vortech kit, where they program your chip for you, but probably wont be able to get it until next year. However, I want to make some mods now to increase HP but dont want to get/do anything that will have to be taken off when the supercharger is installed or that will conflict with the supercharger system.
I would like some cold air but am not sure if it can stay when the supercharger is installed and also am not familiar with how they work as far as the OEM filter and if that filter and box are not used with the cold air system, do you remove them or do they just sit under the hood, not being used?
The other thing I was looking at was underdrive pulleys. They seem like a good deal (better gas milage, more HP), unless there is something Im missing.
I dont know what else I could/should get or in what order (for example, if you get this, then you should also get this...)
I didnt really know if this was a repost, I did some searching but didnt find alot and wasnt sure what key words to put in the search.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:51 PM
ColdKilla
1st Gear Member

Default RE: upgrades while waiting for supercharger

you could get a new gear if havent done so already...
Old 03-20-2008, 02:43 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

the two mods you mentioned, cold air intake and under drive pulleys you do not want to do if you plan on adding a centrifical blower. You'll just end up taking them back off and having to sell them. I would recommend:

Longtubes
off road midpipe
catback
4.10 gears
throttle body/plenum
SUSPENSION

that should keep you busy for a while...

I dont know what your mods already are but that would be a great start for a blower setup.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:28 PM
BostonBruins 2003GT
1st Gear Member

Idont know the real reasoning behind the OP saying he wants to do more mods while saving for the SC. Heck, just the list of mods above is kinda pricey

ORIGINAL: 97stanger

Longtubes - Assuming its ceramic coated, anywhere from 400-800
off road midpipe - assuming stainless steel 300-400
catback - assuming stainless steel 300-400
4.10 gears - 200 for FRPP + 100 bearing/install kit
throttle body/plenum - accufab 400
SUSPENSION - springs/shocks 800
thats $2500-3100 right there...and thats assuming you're doing all the installs yourself...then between the gears/longtubes/OR midpipe add another 400 bucks for a handheld tuner to a)turn off your CEL, and b) tune it - which is another 300 or 400.

gear install anywhere between 500-800....longtubes, most shops will rape you on labor...

I mean right there you're looking at 3800 - 4700 bucks....which you could go out and buy a 8psi procharger or 6psi kenne bell kit and be a hell of a lot faster....

just keep saving
Old 03-20-2008, 03:32 PM
jlw2387
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, a CAI is gonna be thrown out when you supercharge and UDPs on the crank is just silly..... its gonna reduce the performance of your S/C, and youll need a smaller SC pulley to compensate.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:43 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

Well lets hear what kind of car you have? Im used to dealing with 96-98s so thats why i suggested those bolt ons first. Because i know if you just slap a blower on my car stock you wont even see 300rwhp and i know i would be disappointed with that.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:26 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97stanger

the two mods you mentioned, cold air intake and under drive pulleys you do not want to do if you plan on adding a centrifical blower. You'll just end up taking them back off and having to sell them. I would recommend:

Longtubes
off road midpipe
catback
4.10 gears
throttle body/plenum
SUSPENSION

that should keep you busy for a while...

I dont know what your mods already are but that would be a great start for a blower setup.
+1 to everything you posted, except I would think about maybe going with a 3.73 gear assuming its going to get blown. On a stock style tire height 4.10s will be pretty agressive for a blower car with the above mods.

Any of the above mods would be great, and the comparasion between a stock car + blower and the car above + blower is pretty dramatic. It would be expensive however, lots of money to spend before blower install.

At least get a midpipe/catback and a set of gears.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:15 PM
kcp1989
3rd Gear Member

long tube headers with an off road midpipe, then a catback will let her breath along with a tb/plenum.
When you do boost it, you will be able to make good power with less boost=longer lasting motor
Old 03-22-2008, 10:12 PM
sfi
3rd Gear Member

I wasted alloy of money w/ bolt ons that can't be used with a SC. get a gear 3.73 if your going SC. If going centri, get a TB and PLenum, if going screw, get a good CA and TB. DOn't get underdrives, you'll use your stock set/up.
Something I still could of done different. Work on your suspension first, other wise all you'll do is spin. A good set of lower control arms is a start.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:23 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

full exhaust (lt headers not shorty)
underdrive pulleys
throttle body
if your planning on going with alot of hp you could get forged internals so you dont have to worry about any problems later
ported heads or patriot
better cams
anything you do now will give you more with a s/c i woundnt do a cai cause if ur going f/i theres no point in wasting 200 bucks
Theres so much stuff and once you start you wont stop!

Quick Reply: upgrades while waiting for supercharger