4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Good upgrades to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 08:32 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Good upgrades to do?

After the tuner you could save up a s/c it or do cams or bigger throttle body ur getting sucked into the blackhole of mods for mustangs lol. HELP US!!!
Old 03-30-2008, 09:41 PM
ninelives19821
2nd Gear Member

Good mods to get first imo. LT headers, X or H pipe to finish off the exhaust. TB and plenium and a k&n drop in filter or if you wanna spend the extra money get a aftermarketcai. Just make sure you don't have plans to run F/I in the future, the caiwill need to be removed. Underdrive pullies don't do much, but they free up a little power. *every little bit helps* Agian, if you have plans for a S/C in the future the pullies will be taken off. I'm not sure if the water pump and alt. pulley will have to be removed but the crank pulley will as far as i know. Find a good place that can dyno tune your car, when you make your choice find out what tuner they will need to reprogram your ECU. *a must if you plan on doing morein depth mods in the future, heads, cams, nitrous, F/I*. All the stuff i listed will not make your car a rocket by any means[]But it will make a good difference compared to stock. Don't be shy to ask any questions dude, theres alot smart people here with some very sick ridesthat can answer alot of your questions or atleast point you in the right path. Best of luck!!!
Old 03-30-2008, 09:47 PM
d1a8j
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ninelives19821

Good mods to get first imo. LT headers, X or H pipe to finish off the exhaust. TB and plenium and a k&n drop in filter or if you wanna spend the extra money get a aftermarketcai. Just make sure you don't have plans to run F/I in the future, the caiwill need to be removed. Underdrive pullies don't do much, but they free up a little power. *every little bit helps* Agian, if you have plans for a S/C in the future the pullies will be taken off. I'm not sure if the water pump and alt. pulley will have to be removed but the crank pulley will as far as i know. Find a good place that can dyno tune your car, when you make your choice find out what tuner they will need to reprogram your ECU. *a must if you plan on doing morein depth mods in the future, heads, cams, nitrous, F/I*. All the stuff i listed will not make your car a rocket by any means[]But it will make a good difference compared to stock. Don't be shy to ask any questions dude, theres alot smart people here with some very sick ridesthat can answer alot of your questions or atleast point you in the right path. Best of luck!!!
exhaust is always a fun mod ... it gives ur stang character !!!
Old 03-30-2008, 09:49 PM
ninelives19821
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: d1a8j

ORIGINAL: ninelives19821

exhaust is always a fun mod ... it gives ur stang character !!!
Heck yeah! Go with a O/R x or H pipe to get the full effect!
Old 03-30-2008, 09:54 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

they summed it up man...finish off the exhaust, throttle body/plenum, and nobody mentioned a short throw. After that i would do some suspension/sticky tires and take it from there.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:01 PM
d1a8j
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97stanger

they summed it up man...finish off the exhaust, throttle body/plenum, and nobody mentioned a short throw. After that i would do some suspension/sticky tires and take it from there.
oh yeah... i forgot about short throws !!!

prolly one of my fav "Comfort" mods !!! (go with tri-ax or pro 5.0)
Old 03-31-2008, 01:08 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Short throw shifter, midpipe(h or x), full length sub frame connectors, and then mod to where you want to go from there.

All this talk of throttle body/plenum and whatnot does very little on our 2v's, the same goes for CAI's.

If I were in your shoes and had a stock gt again, I would go through the suspension mods first as I am into autorcrossing, soloII, and corner carving events.

What are your goals?
Old 03-31-2008, 07:26 AM
Northplayer13

Okay first off I know that the mileage is high and the gears i'm not worried about making the mileage high. I have already looked at all of that stuff.

I think it has sub frame connectors or something of that nature not sure.

Also the main goal of this car is make it a quick decent daily. Its not gonna have a supercharger on it any time soon that is for damn sure. I don't have the cash for that and don't need it. I'm pretty sure its gonna be quick enough right now. It just is gonna need a few little things to add a little to it.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:21 AM
d1a8j
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aereon

Short throw shifter, midpipe(h or x), full length sub frame connectors, and then mod to where you want to go from there.

All this talk of throttle body/plenum and whatnot does very little on our 2v's, the same goes for CAI's.

If I were in your shoes and had a stock gt again, I would go through the suspension mods first as I am into autorcrossing, soloII, and corner carving events.

What are your goals?
tb is prolly one of the better bolt ons to do... get like a 70mm-75mm !!!

u will see minimal gains from the following.... cai, udp's, filter, plenum, inlet pipe, maf ...
if u have the money and want the extra power, by all means buy everything u can !!!!

Old 03-31-2008, 08:22 AM
d1a8j
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Northplayer13

Okay first off I know that the mileage is high and the gears i'm not worried about making the mileage high. I have already looked at all of that stuff.

I think it has sub frame connectors or something of that nature not sure.

Also the main goal of this car is make it a quick decent daily. Its not gonna have a supercharger on it any time soon that is for damn sure. I don't have the cash for that and don't need it. I'm pretty sure its gonna be quick enough right now. It just is gonna need a few little things to add a little to it.
if u looking for just a quick dd... i would go with as many little bolt on u could buy.

if u want power go with the blower or a turbo when u get the money !!!

Quick Reply: Good upgrades to do?