4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

H&R SS springs w/KYB GR-2s, CCP's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 09:45 AM
vinson581
1st Gear Member

Default RE: H&R SS springs w/KYB GR-2s, CCP's?

well i ordered maximum motorsports CC plates, H&R Supersport springs, and D specs all around, i wanted to make sure the suspension could be setup properly.

now to the real world expirance.

on a friends 04 cobra (granted a coby but same front end setup) after installing an ebiach pro kit, after the springs settled, was out of spec, and when i say out of spec i mean that one side of the tire was going to wear funny after a prolonged period of time, so we did the plates and al la problem was solved. i dont think you need c/c plates for any of the 1.25 inch drops though, as it seems when you get closer to 2 inches its more pronounced
Old 04-03-2008, 09:51 AM
aCiD
2nd Gear Member

Thanks man. D-Specs would be SWEET.

Only difference I could see to the term is that the front end is heavier, how much heavier it he DOHC motor? I donno if it'd make a considerable difference though.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:54 AM
indisposible_teens
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aCiD

ORIGINAL: IanJK46conv

if you're going to do it, why not do it right the first time? don't cheap out and decide not to spend a little extra on plates and then wonder why your replacing 18" tires on your car more often then now. especially with the h&r springs. i mean, do what you gotta do, but i've been through this and it's common knowledge.
Because I can't. It's kind of a binary decision at this point.

And it's not common knowledge, that's the problem, every person has provided a different opinion, ranging from above "No, you definitely don't need them" to "ZOMG, if you don't get them your tires will immediately shred in the first 10km." So it's very conflicting to interpret.

So what's your first hand experience with this?

It's obvious I'm rooting for the "no CC plates" side, but I still want genuine experience from as many people as possible. I'd rather decide not to do it at all now, then be forced to go deeper when I can't.
First- Yes you will need CC plates if you are going to lower it any more than 1.5". I have the Ford C springs and they were enough of a lower that I ended up having to get CC plates, extended balljoints, and a bumpsteer kit to correct the steering geometry. The steering geometry is only going to be knocked farther off by a much more aggressive spring.

Second- Why do a mod if you can't afford it? If you can't afford to do the mod correctly the first time then you obviously shouldn't be thinking about doing it.

Do you know how hard you car is going to ride with a drop that low? Are you prepared to deal with that bumpy of a ride? I am getting the H&R SS springs next month to replace my C springs but that is because I want to turn my car into a road course car, and I know how hard a lowered car rides.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:59 AM
aCiD
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: indisposible_teens
Second- Why do a mod if you can't afford it? If you can't afford to do the mod correctly the first time then you obviously shouldn't be thinking about doing it.

Do you know how hard you car is going to ride with a drop that low? Are you prepared to deal with that bumpy of a ride? I am getting the H&R SS springs next month to replace my C springs but that is because I want to turn my car into a road course car, and I know how hard a lowered car rides.
That's the point! I don't want to do it unless I can do it correctly! That's why we're here, otherwise I'd have just ordered the springs and crossed my fingers.

Yes, I know the rest.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:21 AM
vinson581
1st Gear Member

a good set of adjustable shocks will deffinently change the ride quality, any thing is better then the stockers and with the ss h&rs yea its gonna be stiffer, but a more controlled plush feel because there wont be so much bob on the body and susupension, because the shocks can controll it properly...

i dont belive you need ball joints and a bumpsteer kit, for a drop, those things only seem to be needed when you do a tubular k member and a-arms (hence geometry change)
Old 04-03-2008, 10:28 AM
aCiD
2nd Gear Member

I just talked to my local alignment shop, who would be doing the alignment after I install the parts.

They said, yes to CC plates, and bump steer if more that 1.5" in the front.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:28 AM
indisposible_teens
4th Gear Member

You don't need the balljoints. They are more of a luxury part for that are highly recommended for road racing. I would highly recommend the bumpsteer kit though and the cc plates are very nearly a must if you are going with that low of a drop. I hate when my alignment is off and my wheel is cocked to the side.

How is lowering the car with stiffer shocks/struts and MUCH stiffer springs going to make for a more cushioned plushfeel? With that low of a drop and stiffer shocks/struts the ride is not going to becomfortable in any way.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:36 AM
aCiD
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Chris. It was stunning how hard it was to find good information & discussion on this issue.

I'm gonna think on everything for a couple days and decide what to do.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:50 AM
indisposible_teens
4th Gear Member

Why not just save up for a bit longer and get all of the parts at once? Also why do you want the KYB GR-2's? You can get cheaper shocks/struts that are still better than your stock ones. I bought the Mach 1 shocks/struts for about $350 shipped to my door and they are twice as good as the stock ones and they were not expensive.

Shocks/struts $350-$400
Springs $180-$250
C/C plates $150
Bumpsteer $150

You could always get a different spring than the H&R's. The Eibach's will give a nice low stance and they are a bit cheaper if Iremember correctly. You can do most of the install yourself because it isn't that hard. If you did the shocks/struts and springs yourself then had the shop do the C/C plates and Bumpsteer kit then the labor wouldn't be too expensive either.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:34 PM
fobra570
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: avlon06

ORIGINAL: fobra570

ORIGINAL: aCiD

Do the sportlines drop more than the "Pro kit"? http://www.americanmuscle.com/eibach...-04-coupe.html

What year/model is your car?
2004 mustang gt coupe
Sportlines is a more agressive drop that the pro kit i have a Xpipe and bad streets i scrap everywhere so unless u got beautiful roads id go with the pro

and as far as the caster camber kits i wouldnt worry about it unless ur going for more than a 1.75 inch drop

i have them on my car they helped buttheir are screw's u can get to adjust the camber instead of spending all ur money on the cc plates
never heard of this.. explain more please?
alright i dont know the whole colaboration on them but when i went to get my car aligned after i droped it they couldnt get the camber in right cause i had the CC plates on wrong i had the strut threw the wrong slot and they said that their are Screws that they can put in and crank to fix the camber without cc plates if u want me to find out what company makes them i can call the place just pm me incase i dont check back

Quick Reply: H&R SS springs w/KYB GR-2s, CCP's?