4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

how to tap the oil pan?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 11:33 PM
fobra570
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: how to tap the oil pan?

ORIGINAL: dimebag

start w. a small punch and keep working your way up... its quite simple
any kind of drilling should start witha punch

Old 04-05-2008, 02:48 AM
FDNYBullitt
2nd Gear Member

2000Gt, I'm glad you said it before me because I'll bet that no one between my post and yours has ever installed a SC or tapped the pan for it, sheeeesh, its amazing.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:01 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

gjscott has it perfect listen to him.^^^^^
Old 04-05-2008, 11:03 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

anduse the sharpest bits you have it wont be hard it they are sharp. If they are dull itll take forever... and you could also use some 3 in 1 oil to keepthe bitcool and make it easier.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:10 AM
jlg32281
2nd Gear Member

I have tapped many of pan, and have never had a leak. I've always used a drill. I do however put a rubber washer and nut on the bac, inside the pan and a rubber washer on the outside. That's why I said it doesn't matter if it's a perfect hole since you shouldn't be using just the threads you'll have in the pan itself, you need to sandwich the pan.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:01 AM
FDNYBullitt
2nd Gear Member

Well thats part of the problem, his pan is on the motor so he can't get inside of it. Again I'll say, DO NOT USE A DRILL, if you have the instructions from Vortec or whomever, follow them. The reason for punching the pan is leave enough metel to cut threads into for the fitting. If you drill it, there will NOT be enough metel for even 1 thread and you will be repairing it before getting it done.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:40 AM
jlg32281
2nd Gear Member

Please don't tell me you're going to super charge your car without forging the bottom end. I assumed you had the block out of the car to build it. If you're just slapping on a SC without forging it, we'll see you soon in the "How do I rebuild?" section. The bottom ends on these cars are quite wimpy and running a SC w/ out a forged bottom end is asking for a rebuild. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:29 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Once again, we manage to have a bunch of people with no idea about what they are talking about posting opinions and not facts.

You can NOT drill the hole (full size) for the tap. If you drill the hole in the pan the correct size for the tap, your going to be replacing your oil pan. Drilling the hole will result in you getting about a 1/2 thread and nothing more, as the pan is very thin.

I did not use a drill at all, and I would not. Start with a starter punch, and then work your way up to the correct size. I used a starter punch to start the hole, and as it was tapered got it to about 1/2 size, then used a much larger tapered punch to finish the hole.

The easiest way to get the hole the correct size IMO is to use a dial caliper and measure the punch to find the correct spot in the taper where the hole is the right size, and then mark all the way around it with a marker. Tap the punch in (lightly/easily) until it reaches this point, and walla.

Once again, if you use a drill the connection WILL leak and it will NOT last. You will be pouring return oil out of hte connection, if it doesn't fall out alltogether. IMO there is no reason to use a bit at all, if the punch you are using will not put a hole in the pan your using the wrong punch.
Both methods are acceptable as long as they are done carefully.
Obviously you can't drill the hole full size because there will be nothing to tap with the same size tap.

The guy seems nervous and if he has not done this before, he stands a better chance of getting it correct with the right sized drill.
The problem with the punch is chances are he is going to use the wrong one, hit it too hard because the pan "feels like thick metal, it's not" and then he is done for.

Dial calipers is a great idea but chances are he doesn't have a set and may not know how to use them properly.

I've done it both ways and personally for an experienced person the punch is the way to go.
For an inexperienced person, assuming the correct size drill bit is supplied etc drilling is easier.

I use a washer like the other said as well BTW

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:46 PM
jlg32281
2nd Gear Member

Hopefully he's not too unexperienced to know that his engine will not last without forging the bottom end. I'm sure the punch method works too. I was just saying that I thought the drilling method is easy and if you use washers, then it's not a big deal at all to punch a pan.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:36 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jlg32281

Hopefully he's not too unexperienced to know that his engine will not last without forging the bottom end. I'm sure the punch method works too. I was just saying that I thought the drilling method is easy and if you use washers, then it's not a big deal at all to punch a pan.
+1 on forging the bottom end.

Yea, both methods work fine as long as patience is used!

Ya can't put the metal back on once it is gone !

Quick Reply: how to tap the oil pan?