4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Which would be best... Billet or Forged?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 04:10 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

Default Which would be best... Billet or Forged?

I'm doing some research for a future build and wanted to know what would be best: A forged crank, or a billet crank? Anyone know the pros and cons of each? This is going to be a 5.4L crank (anyone know what the stroke is? I think 4.415 but am not positive).
Also, what would be the best way to go for pistons and rods? I'm guessing H-beam rods (forged) as well as forged pistons.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:15 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Which would be best... Billet or Forged?

billet is EXPENSIVE and is only needed in exteme cases.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:21 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I see that it is expensive, but my plan is to build a pretty mean setup. I've been saving up some money for a while now, and have started to do the research on parts. The whole project is going to be long term, and expensive, but it is something that I have wanted to do for a while now.

The Billet crank I found is pricey. It is the first one I found, but figured I'd ask so see what benefit a Billet crank would have over a regular forged one.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:29 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SINISTER

Yeah, I see that it is expensive, but my plan is to build a pretty mean setup. I've been saving up some money for a while now, and have started to do the research on parts. The whole project is going to be long term, and expensive, but it is something that I have wanted to do for a while now.

The Billet crank I found is pricey. It is the first one I found, but figured I'd ask so see what benefit a Billet crank would have over a regular forged one.
If remember correctly someone a few years back had a serious setup (probably 1000+hp) and had billet rods and said that he had to change them after so many passes. IMO it's not worth the headaches.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:32 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

How much HP do you plan on running? Are you going to get a differert block? What about a nodular crank?
Old 04-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Fobra
Banned

billet is alot better than forged.. but also alot more expensive
Old 04-10-2008, 07:57 PM
jlw2387
3rd Gear Member

Yeah dude, unless your building something insanely wicked (1200+rwhp), forged is the best. Dont dare get cast ANYTHING if your pushing serious hp. Go to Barnes and Noble and check out the High Performance 4.6L Ford book, it will tell you all you need to know.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:10 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 01GT4.6

If remember correctly someone a few years back had a serious setup (probably 1000+hp) and had billet rods and said that he had to change them after so many passes. IMO it's not worth the headaches.
So, would there be durability issues with a billet crank? I think I would go with forged rods and pistons, but I wasn't sure about the crank. If the billet crank is stronger, lighter and would be able to spin faster, I think it would be a good choice.
As for my plans, I've been thinking about the 351R block from MMR, with a set of worked 4V heads (or maybe the Ford GT heads or something like that) with custom cams. Maybe 8.5:1 compression, and a set of twin turbos. Then, of course, the rest of the car built to handle it all.
Right now I'm just trying to figure out the motor set-up, then I may get a custom made 6-speed, so I could pick my gearing.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:27 AM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

Anyone know if it would be worth the expense? I want to shoot for around 1,000 or so to the tires on the track tune.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:49 AM
98SN95
2nd Gear Member

MAN, if you have that kinda doe to throw around, why not just buy a complete 5.4 ford gt engine! it would be a great starting point for you.

Quick Reply: Which would be best... Billet or Forged?