4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

help with long tube herders...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:09 PM
yellow02gt
1st Gear Member

Default help with long tube herders...

ok so today i finished putting my long tube headers on... i started my car and it sounds like a lawn mower and i have gasses coming out every where. the gasses smell like fuel butis thick like white smoke... my guess is it's a gasket leak. my car's rpms bounce like crazy and it stalls alot, itfeels very powerless. if anyone has a clue as to what it could be please do share. there are no check engine lights on. thanks
Old 04-12-2008, 08:53 PM
timmehtimmeh

Default RE: help with long tube herders...

Any details??
Where are the leaks coming from? At the head/header mating surface? Maybe an unplugged O2 sensor bung??
Did you use gaskets?
What kind of LTs? Did you also install and H or X pipe?
Did you re-install O2 sensors?
Did you use locking bolts?
Did you have any specific problems during the install?
Old 04-12-2008, 09:07 PM
yellow02gt
1st Gear Member

well i started it up again, check engine light has come on =[... i got the mil elims in the back o2's, so if it was a problem it would have to be up in the front o2's. i did how evertouch one of the o2, which i found out your not suppost to do.. but would a bad o2 censor cause my engine to have crazy rpms and have a lawn lower sound? i've never had one go bad...

as for the install it was pretty straight forward no problems, bbk LT's, droped the engine in order to get them in and had all the bolts tightened really good even the hard to reach ones, i couldn't turn them any more.ya installed the shorty x pipe as well ever thing is nice and tighted down.. i double checked everything b4 putting it all back together

would LT's mess with my tune b/c i do have a s/c? the guys that tuned my car said it wouldn't, but i'm starting to think other wise.

other things that i noticed is that the leak or lawn mower sound comes from the side on which i touched the o2 sensor, the other side is just fine.

hope this ifo helps
Old 04-12-2008, 09:27 PM
timmehtimmeh

I am a little confused. Do you have an actual exhaust leak, or is the car just running really rough?
If it an exhaust leak, FIND IT and seal it.
If it is stillrunning rough, this is what I would do.

Recheck all of your connections. I don't know what all you disconnected to get to everything, but recheck it all. In particular, check your Mass Air Meter and any hoses and pcv lines attached to the intake. Make sure its electrical connections are on goodand any intake plumbingbetweenthe MAF and throttle body are tight. Whenever air sneeks into the intake without going through the MAF, it really throws the engine into a fit (very similar to theproblem that you describing).

The O2 sensors shouldn't effect your car's ability to idle and run that much, so I doubt it is a problem with them. If you only touched the sensor once, it should be ok. Just as long as it doesn't get smeared up with grease and oil.

Adding LT's will affect your tune, but again, not so much that your car won't run and idle. Be careful of your A/F ratios after you get it running smooth again. I personally havent installed headers after an s/c, so I am not firmiliar with how much they affect the tune.

Keep us posted...
Old 04-12-2008, 11:06 PM
sfi
3rd Gear Member

I ran into that problem, did you buy aftermarlet o2. Stick w/ the stock o2 fr Ford. Did you screw around w/ a handheld tuner. Advance the fuel, ect. I had major problems w/ th boush after market 02 and it caused my car to run rich and then the sputtering lawnmower sound.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:31 AM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

mine sounded similar when i did my mid pipe prob exhauast leak
Old 04-13-2008, 03:55 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

You should def check the tune after a LT install on a FI car. Any major change and you should check the A/F.

Dunno why it would smoke white though.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:35 AM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

if it sounds like you have an exhaust leak..... then you probably have an exhaust leak. an exhaust leak before the front o2 sensors will cause poor running conditions and will definitly throw codes. i wouldnt worry about the fact that you touched the o2 sensor, just fix the exhaust leak (sounds like a gasket issue to me) and you should be fine. i would doubt that long tubes would of thrown your tune off drastically.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:29 PM
yellow02gt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: timmehtimmeh

I am a little confused. Do you have an actual exhaust leak, or is the car just running really rough?
If it an exhaust leak, FIND IT and seal it.
If it is stillrunning rough, this is what I would do.

Recheck all of your connections. I don't know what all you disconnected to get to everything, but recheck it all. In particular, check your Mass Air Meter and any hoses and pcv lines attached to the intake. Make sure its electrical connections are on goodand any intake plumbingbetweenthe MAF and throttle body are tight. Whenever air sneeks into the intake without going through the MAF, it really throws the engine into a fit (very similar to theproblem that you describing).

The O2 sensors shouldn't effect your car's ability to idle and run that much, so I doubt it is a problem with them. If you only touched the sensor once, it should be ok. Just as long as it doesn't get smeared up with grease and oil.

Adding LT's will affect your tune, but again, not so much that your car won't run and idle. Be careful of your A/F ratios after you get it running smooth again. I personally havent installed headers after an s/c, so I am not firmiliar with how much they affect the tune.

Keep us posted...
i rechecked the tubbing running from the supercharger and there was a leak... retightened everything up and the rough ideling has stopped thank god. now there's only a slight lawn mower sound [:@]i can't seem to find out where it's comming from though... it sounds like it's coming from the driver side back where the egr tube is... i couldn't really get the nut to fit on all that good, any chance that that could be where the leak is coming from? is that possible?
Old 04-13-2008, 07:28 PM
timmehtimmeh

Stuff some rags in the exhaust and get someone to hold them there. That will force more exhaust out of the leaking spot, making it much easier to find.

Once you find it, then you can do what needs done to fix it, wherever it may be. An EGR could leak exhaust, so that could be your leak. But verify that it is your problem before you do anything to fix it. First things first, FIND THE LEAK.

Glad you found the first problem. Leaky intakes can cause all kinds of funny problems.

Quick Reply: help with long tube herders...