4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Having problem cold start up

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:50 AM
Saleen108

Default Having problem cold start up

I have a 99 Saleen with a vortech supercharger. On cold start up after sitting the car has rough idle and dies and blows puff of smoke. Try starting up again and it runs fine. Pulled the plugs and they look great. Did a compression check and around 175 psi all around. Cant figure out the problem any help would be thankful. Car has 104,000 miles on it. But runs strong when after warm up. THANKS Please Help.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Saleen108

Default RE: Having problem cold start up

Also checked for vacuum leaks and cannot find any. This is so frustating.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:57 AM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

My car does the same with the P1SC. I'm convinced it has to do with the fuel map being changed by the PCM to compensate for a cold start up, which throws the whole thing off. In my case it makes it run rich, so I have to start with the pedal to the floor to shut off the injectors for a second.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:57 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Could be a few things.. Does it throw a code when it stalls out?? To name a few: Sticky IAC, bad coolant temp sensor,faulty FPR etc...

If it's throwing codes, see if you can find out what it is... I know it may not be easy to replicate the problem by the time you get scan tool, but it's worth it's weight in gold if you can...

JT
Old 04-16-2008, 11:29 AM
jagsfan
1st Gear Member

Check the thermostat also. If the thermostat is broken or set to a low temp (on the upper range)it could be trying to cool the engine by running coolant it on start up. The coolant should not be running into the engine block when it is cold. In doing this it doesn't allow the engine to get to operating temperature right off the start so you have to juice it to keep it going.

Jag
Old 04-16-2008, 11:45 AM
brian1570
Blart

yeah i had a problem w/ my old car because of the thermostat cutting in way too soon...winter starts/warm upswere a bitch. the guy who tuned my car just changed it when i did a retune. problem solved. my car didnt act like yours tho. not sure if thats because of the blower or not(mine was n/a)
Old 04-16-2008, 11:55 AM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

I really think it is the blower. The MAF counts, since the cold air has alot more "mass", go up and then the car squirts way too much fuel. Once the blower and motor warm up the MAF counts go back to normal.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:39 PM
quitbichyn
2nd Gear Member

even tho i dont have a blower, i am currently having a very similar issue. i pulled the code, P0340, which was something like camshaft positioning timing sensor circuit.. i forget what it exactly called out.. but what it came down to was a new alternator. i went ahead and bout me a nice 200 amp alternator that i will be installing this weekend and then all should be fine. incase you were wondering, i have a very powerful JL sound system in the trunk so it was inevitable. hopefully this helps you out.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:47 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 35thAnni99GT

I really think it is the blower. The MAF counts, since the cold air has alot more "mass", go up and then the car squirts way too much fuel. Once the blower and motor warm up the MAF counts go back to normal.
Although I agree with you in the sense that the MAF could be "spooked," on start up, it appears as if this individual's engine only needs to be cranked/turned over once before it will finally start up... That's not NEARLY enough time to even get the engine past ambient temps, much less warm up to operating temperature...

Maybe I'm not reading it right.. I see the mention of the CPS.. This could be something to look at, but if this is something that appears to be common with blowers, I'd concede my comments, and look for other reasons why the engine isn't liking the cold starts..

EDIT: After re-reading it.. How long does it idle before it dies?? Is it any substantial amount of time (more than a minute or 2)?? Also, from what I've seen here, CPS failures usually result in a "No-Start," condition versus a rough start..

JT
Old 04-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Saleen108

I have no codes. I can start the car first time runs rough for 10-15 sec. then dies. Second start it starts and runs fine. Thanks for all input. I will start looking some more.

Quick Reply: Having problem cold start up