4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Several Issues with my T-45...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:28 PM
ValeTudo
1st Gear Member

Default Several Issues with my T-45...

I got my GT back in late March and have been having a few tranny/clutch related issues which I noticed in the past week or two. I did some searches and found some helpful information, but I wanted to ask specifically to get some input.

1. I get a "clunk" on the 1-2 shift. From what I have read this is a known issue but there was a service bulletin on it and it isn't a problem.

2. The clutch pedal whines. It doesn't sound like it's coming from the tranny itself. It simply makes a whining sound when depressed and released, it is more noticeable when I press it slowly, but its not loud at all.

3. Sometimes the car won't go into reverse. Pretty rare but sometimes I have to move to shifter around a bit, and at times get a slight grind when going into reverse. Also seems to be a known problem.

4. Very rarely I make my 4-5 shift and grind the gears. I bring it back to neutral and shift again and it goes into gear fine. At first I thought it was me being sloppy on the clutch(learned stick in March), but it was fully depressed and it still happened. This has occurred maybe 3 or 4 times in the last month, and only on that shift.

The car has 89k on it with the original clutch and has never been raced. I drive it very lightly as well. Thoughts?

Last edited by ValeTudo; 05-10-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Trob
1st Gear Member

stock shifter? or short throw? number 1 and number 3, i had the same issues on t45, but it was all coming from the shifter ( pro5.0 ) rather then the transmission. Just adjusted the shift stops, and works great now. Thats about all the help i can give you.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:09 PM
ValeTudo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Trob
stock shifter? or short throw? number 1 and number 3, i had the same issues on t45, but it was all coming from the shifter ( pro5.0 ) rather then the transmission. Just adjusted the shift stops, and works great now. Thats about all the help i can give you.
Stock shifter. I'm think about picking up a Steeda Tri-ax and changing the fluid to royal purple. Even if that doesn't fix any issues, the the improvement seems more than worth it. I'm thinking no.4 could have something to do with the shift stops as well.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:14 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

I have nearly all the same issues, cept for no.1 and no.2.

Mine has difficulties going into second, but I am real sure it's my short throw thats causing it. Reverse can be a pain in the *** on mine. The whining sounds almost like the throwout bearing. Probably about due for a clutch job.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:23 PM
nathansee3
3rd Gear Member

More than likely Throw Out bearing is starting to go bad. Mine TOB started goin bad and I drove it for a couple months till it let go. T-45 and T3650 are notorious for being clunky and sometimes difficult to get into reverse, something to do with the synchros. To get into reverse when it wont go, put into 1st let clutch out a bit and slide into reverse. When you replace your TOB, replace the clutch, resurface the flywheel, and replace pilot bearing. Make sure to check clutch fork straightness, and pivot ball wear.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:37 PM
ValeTudo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nathansee3
More than likely Throw Out bearing is starting to go bad. Mine TOB started goin bad and I drove it for a couple months till it let go. T-45 and T3650 are notorious for being clunky and sometimes difficult to get into reverse, something to do with the synchros. To get into reverse when it wont go, put into 1st let clutch out a bit and slide into reverse. When you replace your TOB, replace the clutch, resurface the flywheel, and replace pilot bearing. Make sure to check clutch fork straightness, and pivot ball wear.
Thanks for the input. Any other signs I should look for that would tell me the clutch is going bad? I haven't had any issues with it slipping but this is my first manual car so I don't know if there is any other key things to look for.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:26 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nathansee3
The technique for reverse is the same that I use. It works like a charm.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:17 AM
ValeTudo
1st Gear Member

I was reading some other threads on the TOB going bad and what seems to be described is a bit different than what I've been hearing. My "whine" is quiet and sounds like it is coming right from the pedal or cable. Many people seem to descibe a crackling or a squeal. Maybe I am being optimistic but since the clutch doesn't slip I'd rather not replace somehting that still has a decent amount of life left on it. My biggest concern is the grinding on problem #4, I don't want to damage the transmission. If the TOB is bad then I'd rather just take care of it clutch and all, but I don't want to grind any gears if there is a fix. I think I'm gonna get a short-throw and see if the adjusted shift stops take care of the 4-5 shift issue.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:42 AM
cbbass123
1st Gear Member

An aftermarket shifter will just add more noise to the mix, but is needed for these trannys. I have the triax and it works good, but adds noise as they all mostly do. The reverse gear is always a trip. I usually place in first then in reverse. Sometimes it takes a couple of these "1st to reverse" motions to engage. If your clutch is indeed slowly giving away... its better to change the clutch than have your clutch wear away your tranny which is more money. All clutches are not equal as one can have a stock clutch and abuse the crap out of it and last while another can granny shift with highway miles and it crap out. Replacing clutch with a good one and changing the shifter will make your driving experience a pleasure.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Reverse is not schronized in a T-45 transmission. That's why you sometimes have to put it into another gear before you can get it into reverse. Mine will sometimes grind going into 5th if I downshift to 4th and then back to 5th. It is rare but it sometimes happens.

Quick Reply: Several Issues with my T-45...