4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Car (near) stalling

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default Car (near) stalling

When I drive back and forth from school, my car's RPM generally dip at traffic lights and stop signs recently. My car can be at full operating temperature, and as soon as I come to a full stop (does not matter if clutch is depressed, or the car is in N or 1) the RPMs dip to about 0.5k and then jump back up before it stalls out.

I have run fuel injector cleaner, changed the oil afterwards and nothing has worked. The semester is ending now, so I have time to look into the problem more. I would just appreciate some feedback as to where I can start.

For the record, I have semi-new stock bottom end installed by Ford. The bottom end has about 6,000 clean mostly unbeaten miles on it. I have another 2 years left on my warranty, would they maybe take my car and fix the problem?
Old 05-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Might I also add, that I took apart the air intake assembly and cleaned the filter that is mounted in the fender. I actually took the filter out, and it was already clean... but I used compressed air on it anyway and cleaned out the minimal amount of dust that was in there. The problem still exists. Might it be time for a throttle body cleanse?
Old 05-17-2009, 02:44 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

If you got a warranty left on your car I would take it in and let them worry about it.

Lynn
Old 05-17-2009, 05:54 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

it may seem silly but the first thing that comes to mind is your AC kicking on and off and it temporarily knocks down the idle.

But really what im thinking is its your IAC taking a **** on you. Very common. Take it off and clean it with some carb/choke cleaner and stick it back on and see how that goes for ya.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:32 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

your airfilter is it like a K&N style filter also try unplugging the MAF sensor and see what it does
Old 05-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

I'd also look to see if any of the hoses have come unhooked or maybe the rubber couplers aren't sealed right.

The symptoms you're experiencing could also point to unmetered air getting in somewhere.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:57 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

I recently had that problem of the rpms dropping at stop lights and signs, I hit my MAF sensor with some cleaner and now works great. May wanna try that as well. If all else fails, take it to the dealer since you still have a warranty.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:34 PM
mestit3
2nd Gear Member

sounds like iac to me.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:38 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony
I recently had that problem of the rpms dropping at stop lights and signs, I hit my MAF sensor with some cleaner and now works great. May wanna try that as well. If all else fails, take it to the dealer since you still have a warranty.
The dealer wont warrenty it that was on his shortblock he had put in not on the rest of the car
Old 05-18-2009, 09:39 PM
AirBrontosaurus
2nd Gear Member

Yep, sounds like IAC. Give it a clean and see how that works.

Quick Reply: Car (near) stalling