4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Engine keeps flooding

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 01:11 PM
johnsstang

Default Engine keeps flooding

I have a 4.6l and it keeps flooding itself. I replaced the fuel filter and it still starts, and runs, then floods itself and dies. The color of the fuel though looked really like a brown clolor when it poured out of the old filter. What needs to be replaced and does anybody know how to check fuel pressure with a fuel rail pressure gauge on these cars? Thanks for your time.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:13 PM
johnsstang

Oh yeah one more thing. When it starts up in the morning for the first time and then dies. It will not start back up again until the next morning; strange, I don't know whats happening to my engine.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:36 PM
johnsstang

Is the fuel pump located inside the tank on my car (2000 mustang gt)? If not where is it located? Please somebody help me out I dont have money to take it to a shop right now and I have been out of a car for almost two weeks. Somebody must know the answer to my question.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:09 PM
CAMDUP
3rd Gear Member

sounds like crap in the tank is clogging the fuel pump sock/pick-up...you may need to lower the tank and empty it /clean it/replace the sock......check and see if the new fuel filt has the same crap in it now that the old one did.........and yes your pump is in the tank
Old 06-02-2009, 06:16 PM
johnsstang

When I cycle the ignition to "on" the pump just makes a slight clicking noise. There is also a clicking noise comming from the passenger side front fender in the engine bay. Is there a way of telling if there is a short somewhere?
Old 06-02-2009, 06:39 PM
johnsstang

Where on the engine do I check fuel pressure with a gauge?
Old 06-02-2009, 06:46 PM
johnsstang

Somebody please give me an answer.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:17 PM
mustang_pa
4th Gear Member

Here's your answer. Check ur fuel pump filter sock.
How do you know that your car is flooding? i have never heard of a fuel injected car flooding, i thought that was for carburators (sp). If your car was flooding that would mean one or more of your injectors were stuck open.
Originally Posted by CAMDUP
sounds like crap in the tank is clogging the fuel pump sock/pick-up...you may need to lower the tank and empty it /clean it/replace the sock......check and see if the new fuel filt has the same crap in it now that the old one did.........and yes your pump is in the tank
Old 06-02-2009, 07:32 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

On the passenger side fuel rail there is the schrader valve to check pressure.

If you need to, dropping the tank isn't hard with jackstands and using the jack to lower the tank.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:38 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang_pa
Here's your answer. Check ur fuel pump filter sock.
How do you know that your car is flooding? i have never heard of a fuel injected car flooding, i thought that was for carburators (sp). If your car was flooding that would mean one or more of your injectors were stuck open.
and you're giving advice?

With my old tune my car would flood all the time, OP, if it happens, hold the gas pedal all the way down, and start the car that way, it turns the fuel rails off.

Quick Reply: Engine keeps flooding