4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

TECH: Does your 4.6 GT shut off when idling or die while cruising?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 12:29 PM
STANGTVERT
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Does your 4.6 GT shut off when idling or die while cruising?

ORIGINAL: Fat Nick

Mine would die at idle or in D or R. I just set up the idle set screw.

BAD MOVE, it is just the $85 Do-it-yourself IAC valve
Old 07-01-2005, 01:43 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: JADAS2001GT

now lets say ur taking off when you hit bout 3000 rpms all power is lost even if you floor it what would be the cause of that the same or no. I took her to the dealer but they said there is nothink wrong but its happening again......... helpppppppppppppp
Fuel Filter? Fuel Pump?
Old 07-01-2005, 02:13 PM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan02GT

ORIGINAL: JADAS2001GT

now lets say ur taking off when you hit bout 3000 rpms all power is lost even if you floor it what would be the cause of that the same or no. I took her to the dealer but they said there is nothink wrong but its happening again......... helpppppppppppppp
Fuel Filter? Fuel Pump?

This has nothing to do with the AIC (air intake controller)--At 3000 rpms, your throttle is opened plenty, so the iac valve is not functioning at all--As the guy above says, you're car is likely stalling because you need a tune up really badly--I'd go with a good fuel filter, air filter, plugs and wires. It might not be a bad idea to check your fuel pump too. The rest, just replace to be safe--tune ups on mustang v8s take about 30 minutes with ordinary garage tools. Ridiculously easy. Let us know what happens!

Gaspi
Old 07-01-2005, 02:21 PM
JADAS2001GT

Ok thanks guys
Old 07-04-2005, 02:09 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

I am having this issue as well. I have this problem and also on some days there is a power loss which is quite annoying. On my last oil change, I replaced the fuel filter as well. The power loss is now completely gone. The other day it died on me when I tossed it in nuetral and was coming to a stop at a stopsign. So I've been watching it carefully the last few days. Slowing down and coming to a stop I can sit and watch the tach take a dive. A lot of times when I shift, I can see the tach jump 100RPM's as well.

I'm fairly confident it's the IAC, so I'll be replacing it soon. I'll probably be changing the wires soon to cover all the bases...I need a wire change anyway.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:32 PM
Dave2000GT
2nd Gear Member

My GT almost dies when I roll to a stop soon after I've started it. Sounds like the IAC. Could someone post a pic or explian where it is / what it looks like so that I can clean the thing. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

Well, I don't have a pic, but it's pretty identifiable: You know where your plenum and your air intake body is right? The plenum is the piece with the horse on top, and the air intake is what connects the air filter to the throttle body and then to the plenum. OK, that being said, the IAC is the piece that is staring at you straight in the face when you look directly at the plenum when you stand in front of the car--it has a hose attached to it that leads directly to the air intake body.

What happens is that this hose delivers the air directly from the air intake witout having to go to the throttle body--meaning that this passage is where the air comes into the engine when the throttle butterfly is follu closed (you're not pressing the accelerator). That piece connected to the plenum has the connection to this hose--it is relatively easy to remove the hose, as it's not clamped down--the IAC is held to the plenum by two bolts that are also very easy to remove.

What I have done for you, however, is draw a red arrow where the IAC goes on my old plenum/manifold pic I have. Hope it helps. Cheers!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/12394/F26F5F1CCC7D406990EFBF3E4ADC4E8F.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-09-2005, 12:27 AM
Dave2000GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gaspi101

Well, I don't have a pic, but it's pretty identifiable: You know where your plenum and your air intake body is right? The plenum is the piece with the horse on top, and the air intake is what connects the air filter to the throttle body and then to the plenum. OK, that being said, the IAC is the piece that is staring at you straight in the face when you look directly at the plenum when you stand in front of the car--it has a hose attached to it that leads directly to the air intake body.

What happens is that this hose delivers the air directly from the air intake witout having to go to the throttle body--meaning that this passage is where the air comes into the engine when the throttle butterfly is follu closed (you're not pressing the accelerator). That piece connected to the plenum has the connection to this hose--it is relatively easy to remove the hose, as it's not clamped down--the IAC is held to the plenum by two bolts that are also very easy to remove.

What I have done for you, however, is draw a red arrow where the IAC goes on my old plenum/manifold pic I have. Hope it helps. Cheers!!

Awesome! Thanks for the info, I will be cleaning it tomorrow and I'll post my results.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:43 PM
Dave2000GT
2nd Gear Member

Done, idle is fixed thanks for the help.

I also sprayed carb cleaner deep down the plenum, and it seems to instantly remove the grime that had built up.. of course it has only sent it down the manifold further.. so I took it for a hard run hoping to burn all the **** out while the carb cleaner still has it loose.

Anyway main thing is the idle is fixed.

ORIGINAL: Dave2000GT

Awesome! Thanks for the info, I will be cleaning it tomorrow and I'll post my results.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:36 AM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

That wasn't that hard, was it? Now get some sleep knowing you've saved a good $150 at the mechanic. hehehehe....

Done, idle is fixed thanks for the help.

I also sprayed carb cleaner deep down the plenum, and it seems to instantly remove the grime that had built up.. of course it has only sent it down the manifold further.. so I took it for a hard run hoping to burn all the **** out while the carb cleaner still has it loose.

Anyway main thing is the idle is fixed.

Quick Reply: TECH: Does your 4.6 GT shut off when idling or die while cruising?