4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

TECH: Does your 4.6 GT shut off when idling or die while cruising?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 06:02 AM
Dave2000GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Does your 4.6 GT shut off when idling or die while cruising?

ORIGINAL: Gaspi101

That wasn't that hard, was it? Now get some sleep knowing you've saved a good $150 at the mechanic. hehehehe....

ORIGINAL: Dave2000GT

Done, idle is fixed thanks for the help.

I also sprayed carb cleaner deep down the plenum, and it seems to instantly remove the grime that had built up.. of course it has only sent it down the manifold further.. so I took it for a hard run hoping to burn all the **** out while the carb cleaner still has it loose.

Anyway main thing is the idle is fixed.

ORIGINAL: Dave2000GT

ORIGINAL: Gaspi101

Well, I don't have a pic, but it's pretty identifiable: You know where your plenum and your air intake body is right? The plenum is the piece with the horse on top, and the air intake is what connects the air filter to the throttle body and then to the plenum. OK, that being said, the IAC is the piece that is staring at you straight in the face when you look directly at the plenum when you stand in front of the car--it has a hose attached to it that leads directly to the air intake body.

What happens is that this hose delivers the air directly from the air intake witout having to go to the throttle body--meaning that this passage is where the air comes into the engine when the throttle butterfly is follu closed (you're not pressing the accelerator). That piece connected to the plenum has the connection to this hose--it is relatively easy to remove the hose, as it's not clamped down--the IAC is held to the plenum by two bolts that are also very easy to remove.

What I have done for you, however, is draw a red arrow where the IAC goes on my old plenum/manifold pic I have. Hope it helps. Cheers!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/12394/F26F5F1CCC7D406990EFBF3E4ADC4E8F.jpg[/IMG]
Awesome! Thanks for the info, I will be cleaning it tomorrow and I'll post my results.
Yes... I learned years ago to avoid going to a mechanic at all cost.. unless you are trying to do a gear swap!
Old 07-11-2005, 02:35 PM
durknutz01GT
1st Gear Member

JADAS:

I had the same issue. Ultimately, I ended up shorting out my ignition coil and couldnt get my car to start. from what I was told, my problem was a radio interference filter on some wiring harness that was causing the ignition coil to short. it also fried some thing that controls the radiator fan. $400 in shop labor later, it's running and so far no failures at WOT. I figured I input my .02 in case you were still having problems. I apologize for the lack of detail. Hope this helps!

I'm not sure what they needed to replace the wiring harness, does radio interference transistor sould right?
Old 07-12-2005, 03:55 PM
STANGTVERT
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: TECH: Does your 4.6 GT shut off when idling or die while cruising?

I'm having the same damn problem again, DAM IT!!
Old 07-23-2005, 07:11 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

i was thinking of just cleaning the IAC with some wd 40 or whatever...but my car is still under warranty. so if i go to the ford dealership and tell them what the deal is...will i be able to fix the problem with the new part for free? or would it not be covered under warranty? i have an appointment on mondya at 10:30. so a response by sunday night would be greatly appreicated. thanx.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:12 AM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

9/10 times all you have to do is douse the AIC in WD40 and then some carb cleaner. Clears it right up. As for the car still being under warranty, I don't think removing the AIC would violate the terms of the warranty--But if you've already gotten an appointment, and it's all under warranty, just take it. Not really sure what kind of answer you're looking from us, boss. Good luck!

G.F.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:08 PM
STANGTVERT
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Car_Ramrod

i was thinking of just cleaning the IAC with some wd 40 or whatever...but my car is still under warranty. so if i go to the ford dealership and tell them what the deal is...will i be able to fix the problem with the new part for free? or would it not be covered under warranty? i have an appointment on mondya at 10:30. so a response by sunday night would be greatly appreicated. thanx.

iT SHOULD BE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY, IT IS ONLY $85 000 THOUGH (THE PART), SO IF NOT COVERED DO IT YOUR SELF------
Old 07-24-2005, 04:02 PM
Enterprise01GT

I have an 02 GT with the same problem. I can be driving down the highway at 2800 RPM or pulling out from a stoplight and it will just quit. It will restart, but it is really a dangerous situation. Any help with a cause and a cure would sure be appreciated.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:29 PM
firemedix911
2nd Gear Member

That sounds great guy's. I got the same issue. Also some input. There's something going on with the predator tunner that can also cause your car to turn off like that. Just heard of that.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:53 PM
AwwPhooey

Heya Enterprise (and everyone else, thanks in advance for your help)-

Just had this occur to my wife Wednesday morning. I live in Sacramento, and have a 2000 GT with about 55K on it. Wednesday, she was driving it on the freeway around 7:30 am (so it was only about 80 degree at the time), when it suddenly died on her. She pulled over to the shoulder, turned the key, and nothing (all of the dash lights worked, but it wouldn't start, turn over, nothing- seemingly ignition related, right?).

She called a tow, and about 15 minutes later tried to start it, and it started up just fine. She pulled off the freeway to head to a dealer, and it died again. Waited about 15 minutes, started up fine, drove for about 10, died again.

She finally got to the dealer (it died as she pulled in), and left it. They had it for two days, road tested it, said it never died one them. I asked them if they had scanned the codes or if the onboard computer had any data for them (I'm not sure how all that works, but I know that anomalies are recorded somehow, right?), and they said they didn't find anything.

I just drove it home, about 15 miles, and it made it back ok- but in my tech inexperience, I'm not sure at this point what to do.
????

If the ignition coil was faulty (or anything else, for that matter), shouldn't the service guys have been able to figure that out?

Thanks again,

Phoo
Old 07-24-2005, 08:17 PM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

Everyone: If the car is dying on you while you're pressing the accelerator, even a little bit, then the IAC is NOT the culprit. The IAC channels air into the plenum when the throttle valve is fully closed only. So Enterprise, when you're cruising at 2800 rpms and the car dies on you, it's certainly not a bad Idle Air Controller. To me, it sounds like an electrical problem--Have you tested your alternator lately?

It takes more electricity to keep the car running than to keep the dome/dash lights on, etc. Therefore, you could have a bad alternator, the car would stall out at highway speeds, and the lights on the dash would still be lit. That's a very likely possibility.

Quick Reply: TECH: Does your 4.6 GT shut off when idling or die while cruising?