4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

COP Information

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 02:23 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Most likely a COP or 2 goin south. Any codes?
Old 07-07-2011, 03:16 PM
03_mach_won

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Most likely a COP or 2 goin south. Any codes?
only codes is for the o2 and thats because i don't have the MIL for the o/r x pipe or a hand tuner to disable it. The car misfires during cold start at idle, but very little misfire nothing crazy. I tried to use the IAC mod to drop the revs quicker and it started to misfire even more during idle and it caused the car to smoke out the tail pipes when I was coming to a dead stop. But without the IAC mod the idle is normal and it doesn't smoke out the tail pipe.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:36 AM
rfomlover
1st Gear Member

I know this is old but extremely helpful! So I am suspecting I have a bad coil(s) on my 02 GT. So basically what you guys are saying is while my engine is running, unplug ONE COP and then if I hear a difference in engine sound take note then plug it back in. Then check the next and see if there is a difference and take note. Whichever one(s) DONT make the engine sound different are the possible bad ones that I should probably think about changing?

Thanks so much!
Old 08-01-2012, 02:13 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Well after working with Mark at Weapon X for over a year, doing a number of field tests and beta testing on new designs Back in January of this year i received a set of the current production EFX COPs for extended testing.

Having run them since that time, most recently on a 440 mile round trip in 95°F to 100°F+ heat, I am pleased to say that the heat problems I experienced with the earlier designs have been overcome. The new design performs flawlessly in the high temperatures and delivers the tweaked performance I described in my initial impressions described earlier in this thread--and has been doing so for 8 months and 20k miles.

I also have to say that I have never dealt with a manufacturer/vendor that was any more dedicated to working with me to get things right. Kudo's to Mark and WeaponX for their commitment to their products and customers!!!

Last edited by cliffyk; 08-01-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:15 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Great to hear Cliff! Your car is looking nice, a little different than what I remember. I am really digging the R/W/B stripes! I reallllllly need another mustang....
Old 08-01-2012, 06:23 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I went to a local sign shop almost a couple years ago now, explained to the owner what I was doing, and that I just needed three pieces a couple inches wide by 24 inches. He rummaged through his scrap bin and came up with enough to stripe five cars.

I asked him what I owed and he said "You're making a flag aren't you? Get the Hèll outa' here..."
Old 12-31-2014, 06:33 PM
mjgalvan24

Default coil pattern procedure

is there a pattern procedure that i need to follow? i have bought a set of Accel Super Coil On Plug Kit (99-04 GT). do i jsut installed them with out any order?
Old 12-31-2014, 08:39 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by mjgalvan24
is there a pattern procedure that i need to follow? i have bought a set of Accel Super Coil On Plug Kit (99-04 GT). do i jsut installed them with out any order?
I do not understand your question as to in what order they are to be installed? All eight are identical, just replace the stock coils one-by-one and make sure each is connected to the same harness connector as the one you are re.placing

However I have to ask: Can you return them for a refund?

They do not have a good reputation for long term reliability, often failing in just 15k to 20k miles, and are no better--they actually they have a bit less maximum potential output in my testing (50 kV vs. 55 kV)--than the stock COPS.

Testing an Accel COP (here is a video of an Accel COP firing across a 15 mm air gap):

Results Accel vs. OEM:

The lower output is not enough to be relevant, as it only takes 15kV to 16kV to ionise the gap and just 5kV to 6kV to maintain the spark.

The EECV system fires each plug 3 times in rapid succession at idle and up to 1200 rpm or so:

However their poor reliability history is...
Old 01-01-2015, 03:00 PM
mjgalvan24

good to know the info on the accel coil product. i dont plan to spend $200 every 20k on coils what brand do you recommend?
Old 01-01-2015, 07:03 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Stock.

Why do you feel you need new COPs--they will last 300k miles as long as you change the plugs every 80k to 100k miles--an replace the boots as needed (125k to 150k miles)...

Quick Reply: COP Information