4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cobra brake upgrade issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 10:44 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Default Cobra brake upgrade issues?

Well I just installed my 10th Anniv cobra brake kit I got from BFR. I also added the SS brake lines.

Kit installed fine, got it all buttoned up in about an hour but it feels like something is wrong. Right now the pedal is really difficult to push in. I don't think I could push the pedal to the floor if I wanted to. I mean we're literally talking maybe an 1" of travel before the brakes come on and than it's like trying to push a brick. The brakes grab fast but they don't really feel like they do a decent job stopping the car after the initial grab. Like the actual braking power feels weaker than it was before.

There also seems to be inconsistency in the pedal. It almost feels like something catching on something. I'm going to take them back apart to see if I can figure out what is going on... I just wanted to be 100% positive this isn't what they are suppose to feel like. and to see if anyone had any ideas.

The only thing I can even think that I did that was kinda out of the ordinary is the SS kit gave you 2 copper crush washers per side... So I used both of them, one on each side of the brake line... But other than that... I have no clue.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Confirm a couple things..

Make sure the "crush" washers do not block the passing of fluid through the SS lines.
Make sure you don't have grease or oil on pads that may limit the friction
Did you bleed the air from ALL the brake lines after install?

Jazzer
Old 07-06-2009, 11:01 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Confirm a couple things..

Make sure the "crush" washers do not block the passing of fluid through the SS lines.
Make sure you don't have grease or oil on pads that may limit the friction
Did you bleed the air from ALL the brake lines after install?

Jazzer
Well going on your same line of thinking... my thought on the washers, if because there are 2 of them in there... maybe the banjo bolt isn't lining up correctly or something crazy like that.

I did bleed all 4 corners afterward.

I just can't imagine the pedal being that stiff. If I never had to actually get into the brakes I don't think I would notice. For just casual braking it seems to work fine (actually stops better than before) but if you actually put your foot into it the car doesn't to much for stopping. And when you do put your foot into it, like I mentioned before the pedal feels like there is a catch in it and you can really hear the booster humming.

Last edited by amoosenamedhank; 07-06-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:21 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I guess to me it seems more like something interfering with the fluid in line because I can't imagine that there should be that much pedal effort needed and that would also explain the lack of heavy braking power.

Oh and the car doesn't pull one direction or the other during braking so I hate to assume both calipers are working or not working equally.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Well.... the first half of your above post makes me think the brakes NEEDED work prior to this upgrade. Maybe they already had some air in the lines and needed bleeding. This may account for why your pedal feels much more stiff since this work. On the other hand.... you were able to bleed the brakes on all four corners AFTER this upgrade, so we know the lines are clear. There is just a minute passage way needed for fluid to pass and compress the calipers. This means we can rule out a stoppage in the line possibly caused by the crush washers.

This is beginning to sound like a booster issue. You may have a vacuum leak or just a bad booster. Would seem odd that this happened during your work, so would look to see if you cracked a vacuum line connector during the fluid reseviour refill under the hood or maybe a line is damaged. Check all the connections and see if anything makes sense.

Jazzer
Old 07-06-2009, 02:35 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Well.... the first half of your above post makes me think the brakes NEEDED work prior to this upgrade. Maybe they already had some air in the lines and needed bleeding. This may account for why your pedal feels much more stiff since this work. On the other hand.... you were able to bleed the brakes on all four corners AFTER this upgrade, so we know the lines are clear. There is just a minute passage way needed for fluid to pass and compress the calipers. This means we can rule out a stoppage in the line possibly caused by the crush washers.

This is beginning to sound like a booster issue. You may have a vacuum leak or just a bad booster. Would seem odd that this happened during your work, so would look to see if you cracked a vacuum line connector during the fluid reseviour refill under the hood or maybe a line is damaged. Check all the connections and see if anything makes sense.

Jazzer
Well the brakes were in alright condition, and the entire system was flushed last year so yeah.... I can see what you're saying about the booster (like I mention, she's humming when I step on the brakes) but it would be a horrible coincidence if that gave out at the exact same time that I switched the brakes.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:09 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

just to get this straight you did banjo bolt, brass washer, the box fitting (line), brass washer, then bolted it to the caliper.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:47 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by livefast1
just to get this straight you did banjo bolt, brass washer, the box fitting (line), brass washer, then bolted it to the caliper.
Yes sir
Old 07-07-2009, 04:37 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

does the car have abs?
Old 07-07-2009, 04:48 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by livefast1
does the car have abs?
Originally yes, but I broke the rear sensors when I took the axle out of the car and never replaced them so the ABS light is always on.

Quick Reply: Cobra brake upgrade issues?