4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

My Mustang build plans...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 10:16 PM
GoingHaam

Default My Mustang build plans...

Whats up everybody, I'm considering building a 99-04 mustang with 393 Fuel injected motor, I am looking for a convertible v6 to start with and convert the outside appearance to 03-04 cobra, but my i'm trying to keep the entire build under 10k. i have an idea of what i want to to but i'm not sure of how much i can expect to spend. i basically want to have build a healthy 393 motor but still dependable enough to be driven daily if i wanted to, and quick than your average mustang, i dont know alot mechanical about car but i know a little i know i just really know what i want the end result to be, what do you guys think i need and how muc will it cost, remember i'm trying to keep it as a budget build...
Old 07-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

Well, I Would make a BIG Checklist, Write down EVERYTHING you are going to need....
Engine:
  • Rods-What Brand, Type
  • Pistons-What Brand,size...
  • Heads-
  • Cams-
[B]
Fuel System:
  • Carb-
  • Fuel Lines
  • Tank/Sump
  • Pumps
  • Regulators
  • Filters
Suspension:
  • Front Coilovers
  • A Arms
  • K member-Has to support the motor u want... Base 4.6 wont work(maybe)
  • Subframes
  • Rear Coils

THIS IS JUST A QUICK CHECK LIST. After u Complete a Check list post it on here, im sure you will miss little things... Then Once u COMPLETE the List, Start Finding Where your going to buy it from, How much its going to cost you..... My Build ended up cosing WAY WAY WAY WAY More than i wanted to spend lol.... But Taking it Slow...

Good luck!!
Old 07-07-2009, 12:09 AM
gunpig0313
3rd Gear Member

It can be done for under 10k look around for a car that doesn't have an engine or tranny in it. You can find them for $250 to 1k depending on the model and trim. Look on craigslist I find cars like that all the time. Sit down and write a plan if you need help with anything we can help you came to the right place. GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 07-07-2009, 12:17 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ryan86272
Well, I Would make a BIG Checklist, Write down EVERYTHING you are going to need....
Engine:
  • Rods-What Brand, Type
  • Pistons-What Brand,size...
  • Heads-
  • Cams-
[B]
Fuel System:
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
Suspension:
  • Front Coilovers
  • A Arms
  • K member-Has to support the motor u want... Base 4.6 wont work(maybe)
  • Subframes
  • Rear Coils

THIS IS JUST A QUICK CHECK LIST. After u Complete a Check list post it on here, im sure you will miss little things... Then Once u COMPLETE the List, Start Finding Where your going to buy it from, How much its going to cost you..... My Build ended up cosing WAY WAY WAY WAY More than i wanted to spend lol.... But Taking it Slow...

Good luck!!

fixeddd.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:17 AM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

sounds like a tall order trying to do it for under $10k, but it can be done. like Ryan said above, get together as complete of a checklist as you can and post it up here.. we're all willing to help. just remember to keep a little flex room in your budget because nothing ever costs what you expect it to.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:26 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

yikes...10k...that doesnt sound like its going to be enough. Hell your going to have half that just in paint and body work! You will need the wholed drivetrain, supporting suspension mods, rear end work, wheels/tires, etc.. This would be a little more feasable if you were doing all the work yourself, but being as you stated that you arent a mechanic, id save some more dough.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
fixeddd.
ehhe, thanks!! Missed that Fuel injected part

Either Way OP, I Dont think it can be done For under 10k...The list I made was just the Obvious stuff.... Like said above there are Brakes,Rear end, Putting a 393 Might take a Manual Steering rack over the power steering... Depending HOW FAR you want to take this, This build can cost alot....

What Exactly are your Goals for this car?
Interior -Racing SeatsRear Seat Deletes

Exterior-Cobra Stuff-Probably Around 1k....(thats with GREAT Deals)
Motor/HP wanted ?? That can get Expensive...
Suspension-1k-3k Depending how BIG u wanna go lol
Rear end(Drag Racing/Autox)-1k-2k
Brakes $400-1600
Fuel System-Depending what ur motor NEEDS- $150-1600

Curious to see What all you would like to do for this Build!! Make a Checklist and Post it!!!
Old 07-07-2009, 02:38 PM
GoingHaam

Originally Posted by Ryan86272
ehhe, thanks!! Missed that Fuel injected part

Either Way OP, I Dont think it can be done For under 10k...The list I made was just the Obvious stuff.... Like said above there are Brakes,Rear end, Putting a 393 Might take a Manual Steering rack over the power steering... Depending HOW FAR you want to take this, This build can cost alot....

What Exactly are your Goals for this car?
Interior -Racing SeatsRear Seat Deletes

Exterior-Cobra Stuff-Probably Around 1k....(thats with GREAT Deals)
Motor/HP wanted ?? That can get Expensive...
Suspension-1k-3k Depending how BIG u wanna go lol
Rear end(Drag Racing/Autox)-1k-2k
Brakes $400-1600
Fuel System-Depending what ur motor NEEDS- $150-1600

Curious to see What all you would like to do for this Build!! Make a Checklist and Post it!!!
my goal would be something close to this but in a convertible version...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyO37...e=channel_page

just something later is faster than your average camaro, depededable and comfortable enough to be driven daily(even though it wont be) and fun.

interior wont be a huge focus, just maybe redoing it in leather if the one i get doesnt already have it maybe with so color inserts ( afew things to tire the oustide to the inside) and and a the convertible arch roll bar, not much....
Old 07-07-2009, 02:41 PM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

Well the fuel injected stuff can be had off of the old f150s with the 5.8 since the 393 is going to be a 351 stroker correct? try posting this in the 351 sub section of the 5.0 section.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:54 PM
GoingHaam

Originally Posted by 4.698GT
Well the fuel injected stuff can be had off of the old f150s with the 5.8 since the 393 is going to be a 351 stroker correct? try posting this in the 351 sub section of the 5.0 section.
yes,

maybe my expectations for the cost of the motor was too low, but i was thinking maybe going to a salvage yard getting an old 351 for about $300-$400, going and take it get machine reconditioned, and get stroker kit like. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/351C-...temQQptZMotors _Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item27a4cd5ee1&_ trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A12|39%3A1|72%3 A1171
and start getting it be a good runner

Quick Reply: My Mustang build plans...