4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

clutch adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 09:59 PM
kodiak
1st Gear Member

Default clutch adjustment

I need help on adjusting my clutch.I have a possible t o bearing noise in my trans. If I just lean my foot on clutch pedal noise goes away. It sounds like a bird chirping especially as I am slowing sown with foot off clutch and car in gear. I am hoping I can adjust this out but really dont know where to start. It feels as if I can lower my clutch pedal height a slight bit the noise will stop. Can this be done or is there something else I can do??? Or should I live with it??? Clutch only has 3000 miles on it but really dont want to pay to pull trans out because has longtubes on it and repair shop clobbered me on labor. Maybe any ideas if I have to remove trans on how to get it out with that exhaust on it? thank you in advance for any info
Old 07-11-2009, 10:21 PM
HEAVYMETALMATT
2nd Gear Member

I wish I would could tell you that you could adjust it out, sorry though. The t.o. bearing is a horrible weak point in the Mustang world. I'm goin through the same thing with a much worse t.o. bearing right now. My best info is to go ahead and get it replaced before it messes up more than just the t.o. bearing. I've been searching and so far the best brand I can find is Hays. It's about $70 compared to the $20 Timken from the factory, but it'd be worth it.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:31 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Replace the throw out bearing before it gets worse. I waited to long and just about trashed the clutch fork. The bearing came out in three pieces (no ball bearings), and bent five teeth on the pressure plate along with heat checking the plate and flywheel. Fix it now before it costs you more.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:00 PM
kodiak
1st Gear Member

Default crazy!!

The clutch in the car only has 3000 miles on it. Please do not tell me this. Car has long tubes and the guy I bought car from told me its a nightmare to remove trans. What if I pay to have this done and the noise is still there? Should I go directly to ford so I get a gurantee or should I try myself and what t-o bearing should I use?? Any more info greatly appreciated!!!
Old 07-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kodiak
The clutch in the car only has 3000 miles on it. Please do not tell me this. Car has long tubes and the guy I bought car from told me its a nightmare to remove trans. What if I pay to have this done and the noise is still there? Should I go directly to ford so I get a gurantee or should I try myself and what t-o bearing should I use?? Any more info greatly appreciated!!!
http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/clutcha.htm

do that, its really easy when you figure it out, theres a tab you have to push.

1st pull up on clutch pedel

2nd, push tab and it will click - clutch readjusted.

ive mastered it and can do it while rolling now, just have to take off my shoe

pic of tab (somewhere above accellerator pedel, white tab)

Last edited by Andy13186; 07-12-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:10 PM
kodiak
1st Gear Member

Do you think this could get rid of that throwout bearing chirp?
Old 07-12-2009, 04:13 PM
kodiak
1st Gear Member

Will that bring the pedal upward or downward? because if I just lean my foot against thepedal the noise goes away. Thanks again
Old 07-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kodiak
Will that bring the pedal upward or downward? because if I just lean my foot against thepedal the noise goes away. Thanks again
wont move the pedel, it will just adjust it to perfection , atleast it works perfect in my car

i do it sometimes after powershifting to 2nd and my clutch feels wierd, it should help with the TO bearing noise if you successfuly do it. its not hard and you will be able to tell when you did it, it clicks.

its more like a reset than adjustment
Old 07-12-2009, 05:12 PM
kodiak
1st Gear Member

Which direction should I push tab? Up/down or forward/backwards?
Old 07-12-2009, 06:17 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

i would still consider getting the TOB replaced. i had the same chirp. the pedal adjustment will just hide it the noise, not fix it.

Quick Reply: clutch adjustment