4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Rebuild specs

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 05:08 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Question Rebuild specs

So i'm facing the fact that a rebuild is in the making shortly. I'd say by the winter months parts should be ordered. have a few questions. Which rebuild kit... going to go forged, is flat top better than dished? crank is already forged i believe... debating on doing supercharger/cams. Can i get a cam setup to equal the HP gain of a charger, i'd like the rough idle more than the whine, but what to build it pretty stout. not looking for a drag car, just a street car bad on gas haha, and with a pull to waste some big boy cars. what are you guys thinking i should set this up. Going to be months down the road, but need some budgeting/product ideas. all specs as of know below... what would you do?
Old 07-28-2009, 05:44 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

If you gonna do a blower setup, dished pistons are the way to go. It will drop your compression which is better for boost.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:50 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

what about if i went flat top with cams? would i even come close to the gain of a blower?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:11 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Only way you are going to come near blower hp is higher compression, H/C/I setup. But, if you ever plan on FI, its a waste to do it this way, because you want the lower compression and differnt cams with the blower.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:16 AM
toolegit86
1st Gear Member

manley flat top pistons and manley h-beams are the best. just with some supercharger spech cams. my buddy has a mystic with a 5.1 stroker 2.1 kennebelle on 18psi nos and water/meth its a awsome car! then my room mate has #2 mystic with a simple 4.6 forged and a vortech on 15 psi and its screams! it all depends on what your plans are for your car and how much you want to work on them.

if your going to ues your crank your going to have to get it all balanced. ebay is the best place to get the rods and pistons buy them selfs. are you going to port the intake/heads?? do you plan to upgrade your fuel system? how much hp do you want?

http://www.dssracing.com/ProductDeta...uctCode=PNR46X

http://www.coasthigh.com/category-s/13031.htm

http://www.modmaxracing.com/product_p/99025250.htm
Old 07-29-2009, 01:12 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

well thats what i was bouncing off you guys really. i was planning on 40# injectors and the 255lhp fuel pump. I love that rought idle sound but i want the power of the supercharger. not sure what you mean by H/c/I.. high compression something i'm guessing, yes planning on doing some porting if needed... with or without supercharger. basically if i can't the power i'm lookin for by an awesome set of cams and pistons, i'll go light on that, just forged and go SC with more boost. My car is the fastest car/truck/whatever i've ever ridden in so i wouldn't know what 600hp is like. but i'd say around there...5..600hp max. realistic? to much for the road? just want it to tear up the streets. and a cruiser, something like when you pull up. everybody knows its you kinda thing. and everyone is afraid to line up....whether a twin turbo'd supra will hand it to me or not hahaha.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:14 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

i'd like to stay with just gasoline fed, do realize one is a waste with the other.. i'm debating on one or the other, cause i gotta tear it down to rebuild it anyway. its going to be forged anyway, just for durability, so while its apart in my lap, cams...or supercharger. rather have the rought idle than whine, but not gunna sacrafice power for it. i'm building a motor right? haha
Old 07-29-2009, 01:16 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by disposablehero27
well thats what i was bouncing off you guys really. i was planning on 40# injectors and the 255lhp fuel pump. I love that rought idle sound but i want the power of the supercharger. not sure what you mean by H/c/I.. high compression something i'm guessing, yes planning on doing some porting if needed... with or without supercharger. basically if i can't the power i'm lookin for by an awesome set of cams and pistons, i'll go light on that, just forged and go SC with more boost. My car is the fastest car/truck/whatever i've ever ridden in so i wouldn't know what 600hp is like. but i'd say around there...5..600hp max. realistic? to much for the road? just want it to tear up the streets. and a cruiser, something like when you pull up. everybody knows its you kinda thing. and everyone is afraid to line up....whether a twin turbo'd supra will hand it to me or not hahaha.

Heads/Cams/Intake
Old 07-29-2009, 01:20 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

If you are looking for that kind of power, its not happenening without FI. So get your self some blower cams, port your heads, and if you do a centri blower(you might want to) get a decent intake manifold. If you do a roots/twinscrew, then you obviously will have the intake manifold from the kit you buy. Set up the pistons for lower compression to fight detonation with the boost. You will be happy with that.

Note: cams are worthless without upgrading heads and intake, and realistically you should add longtubes to take advantage of the power that is available.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:20 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

alright so no doubt just heads intake and cams and headers wouldnt push me over 500 you don't think? and if so then supercharger it is, smaller cams, not alot of duration and lift, talking forged dished pistons? what kind of heads/intake if i go vortech? seems the cheaper side...still get a seperate crank?

Quick Reply: Rebuild specs