4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

NEED SOME SERIOUS HELP! Rear Mounted Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 09:36 AM
UpAndComingDallara

Default NEED SOME SERIOUS HELP! Rear Mounted Cobra

I need help from some guys that REALLY KNOW the 4.6 up donw in and out and particularly THE TRANSMISSION.

Hi, My names Nick Petlowany From Tarpon Springs Florida.

Im an avid Indy car fan, With this is mind I am in the middle of building one!
considering that the Honda v-8's and the Drexler Gearbox's they use are like a million dollars. I have decided to use the Mustang Cobra 4.6, since it is a high output easily modified engine, that I found for cheap

Ok SO HERE IT IS, YOU CAN SCRATCH YOUR HEADS ON THIS ONE FOR A GOOD MINUTE. I have the whole front end and cockpit built up and before I weld together the rearend I need to know, and most importantly UNDERSTAND how im going to get the front mounted cobra engine in as a REARMOUNTED, REARWHEELDRIVE for my indycar. i HAVE THE ENGINE WITH THE STOCK MANUAL TRANNY.

When I first started my project I concidered using a FWD V-8, But this would throw the weight diff off not to mention it would look AND HANDLE like ****!

So Im stumped on what I can do with the tranny or a gearbox I can buy? maybe a sequential??????????????????????????????? I have everything else ready to go and I would really love to get this project on the road . Keep in mind that in the end it will be using PADDLE SHIFTERS.

ANY INFO FROM A RELIABLE TECHNITIAN OR SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THIS TOPIC PRETTY WELL WILL BE AAMMAAAZZZINGLY APPRECIATED