4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

ac blows.. but its hot air.. out of freon maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 01:52 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Default ac blows.. but its hot air.. out of freon maybe?

turned the a/c on today and i decided to take the back road to work today, little did i know i'm this 100* day, my a/c was going to pump hot air instead.. still blows fine but hot. freon time? what do i have to do to get it working again? all i know is freon is used, no idea about anything else.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:26 PM
jasondd23

Not sure if the Mustang has a low pressure valve but if it does you can get a recharge kit at an auto parts store, usually a bottle with a hose/gauge. They are cheap. Do you see any oily substance under the front of the car? could be the A/C radiator is leaking a little..... just my .02
Old 08-13-2009, 02:29 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

i'll have to look into that, i'm not sure either.. i've never had a prblem with the a/c before. it blew very cold. not hot. so i should check for leaks on the ground in front of the car? typically oil? i'll give that a look. where would the low pressure valve be located so i can look for it to see if it has one.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:39 PM
jasondd23

It is kind of hard to say where it will be but it should be something easily accessible for this very reason. The substance under the car would look like oil, it will be right up at the front b/c most A/C's have their own radiator tucked behind a larger radiator. I wish I knew where the low pressure service port was on the Mustang, if I did I would tell you. Google may know.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:03 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

yeah, have to break out the haynes, book. do some research, just caught me on the way to work, figured i'd hit up the forum and see if anyone knew.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:04 PM
jasondd23

Good luck man, Nice Cobra!
Old 08-13-2009, 03:09 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

thanks man, i appreciate that. first one to compliment it. :-)
Old 08-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Your A/C compressor isn't kicking on. Most likely you're low on refrigerant. It's not freon anymore, though. That's illegal. Freon is R-12, the refrigerant now is R-134a. Everyone calls it freon, but it's not.

If there's a leak it's going to be hard to find. You'll need a special dye and black light. The refrigerant evaporates when it only comes out in small amounts, so it isn't going to leave any puddles. If it's leaking in large quantities (you'd know if it was) you'd see neon green sprayed everywhere, and it would smell ****ing awful.

I suggest taking it to a shop that services A/C and have them evacuate the whatever's in the system, pull a vacuum, and then re-charge. Don't use those DIY cans, they're garbage. They work if you're just a little low, but I've never had any luck with them. The problem with them is they only hook onto the low side, and your low side pressure could read out fine, but you could be really down on the high side.

For pressures your low side should be around what ambient air temp is (so if it's 80 degrees outside your pressure should be around 80 psi, give or take), and the high side should be in the 150 psi area.

The service ports are in the passenger side of the engine bay, close to the wiper cowl. You'll see a black cylinder with lines coming off of it. The small line is high side, the fat line is low side. If you use one of those kits, it'll only hook up to the low side, so don't worry about hooking it up to the wrong one.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:56 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

thanks for the info. i figure i mine as well do the DIY way before i go pay for a shop to do it. gunna probably be $100 if not more. i can live without the a/c. i'd rather do without and spend an arm and a leg for couple months of summer left.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:04 PM
reznap
2nd Gear Member

+1 on Xemeth's post.

If the compressor is kicking on and off again like every 5-10 seconds your system is probably low on refrigerant. If it's not coming on at all, it may be completely empty. I've actually had good luck with the cans... used one when I bought my car (it was low and barely cool) and it brought it back to life, ice cold now.

Quick Reply: ac blows.. but its hot air.. out of freon maybe?