4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Got a supercharger? I need a favor!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 04:31 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default Got a supercharger? I need a favor!

Hey,

Open call for support from anyone who is willing to help out, this shouldn't take you much time.

If you've got a supercharged GT with ~7-11 psi and modest mods (nothing too crazy), I would love to see a short datalog of your car.

Take your tuner, and datalog a few things for me, if at all possible:
RPM
Load
Spark

I am trying to build a spark table for a supercharged car and I'm curious what I should be looking for to start to protect my fragile bottom end. I'm thinking 18 degrees up top (5k rpm 90% load) at -most- and I'll probably start lower and slowly bump it up. It's ~24 degrees in stock, N/A form.

Or if you've got suggestions, let em fly!
Old 08-16-2009, 06:21 PM
AirBrontosaurus
2nd Gear Member

This is me running a V3-Si with a stock pulley (about 7lbs) on my 2001 GT.

Unfortunately I haven't done any high RPM pulls that I've logged. I'm still wrestling with a part-throttle fueling issue, and this highest RPM I got to was about 3700. However, I was at WOT when I did it, so the timing tables should be pretty much what I can expect up top.

This is also done on a conservative timing schedule, so take it with a grain of salt.

Hope it helps!

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=1...4e75f6e8ebb871

edit: It's an XML table, but you really need to open it in RECON or Excel to use it. I've tried messing with it in open office and it just doesn't work.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShadowDrake
Hey,

Open call for support from anyone who is willing to help out, this shouldn't take you much time.

If you've got a supercharged GT with ~7-11 psi and modest mods (nothing too crazy), I would love to see a short datalog of your car.

Take your tuner, and datalog a few things for me, if at all possible:
RPM
Load
Spark

I am trying to build a spark table for a supercharged car and I'm curious what I should be looking for to start to protect my fragile bottom end. I'm thinking 18 degrees up top (5k rpm 90% load) at -most- and I'll probably start lower and slowly bump it up. It's ~24 degrees in stock, N/A form.

Or if you've got suggestions, let em fly!
What software are you using to build the spark tables? stock your GT will only have break points up to about 90% Load & 6000rpm. You will need to modify the x and y normalizers for a supercharged motor.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:22 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stevecooper
What software are you using to build the spark tables? stock your GT will only have break points up to about 90% Load & 6000rpm. You will need to modify the x and y normalizers for a supercharged motor.
Binary Editor, and the chip is a Quarterhorse (decided against the tweecer).

Yeah it does only have breakpoints for 90% load. Also, 6000 RPM is fine for me for now, I'm not going to be revving it higher than that till I get a new shortblock in there.

What do you recommend for the normalizers and do you know any PIDs? There's a lot of info in my tune.

It's an RKN2 ECU with FBFG2 strategy.

Seems as if this ECU only has one spark table - MBT spark. My friend's 94 (CBAZA) has MBT, base, altitude, and a fourth I can't think of at the moment... Mine should be pretty easy compared to his.

I'm hoping I don't overshoot 100% load, sounds like it's going to cause issues and you gave me great food for thought if I run into that.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:22 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AirBrontosaurus
This is me running a V3-Si with a stock pulley (about 7lbs) on my 2001 GT.

Unfortunately I haven't done any high RPM pulls that I've logged. I'm still wrestling with a part-throttle fueling issue, and this highest RPM I got to was about 3700. However, I was at WOT when I did it, so the timing tables should be pretty much what I can expect up top.

This is also done on a conservative timing schedule, so take it with a grain of salt.

Hope it helps!

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=1...4e75f6e8ebb871

edit: It's an XML table, but you really need to open it in RECON or Excel to use it. I've tried messing with it in open office and it just doesn't work.
GREATLY appreciated, thanks a ton.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShadowDrake
Binary Editor, and the chip is a Quarterhorse (decided against the tweecer).

Yeah it does only have breakpoints for 90% load. Also, 6000 RPM is fine for me for now, I'm not going to be revving it higher than that till I get a new shortblock in there.

What do you recommend for the normalizers and do you know any PIDs? There's a lot of info in my tune.

It's an RKN2 ECU with FBFG2 strategy.

Seems as if this ECU only has one spark table - MBT spark. My friend's 94 (CBAZA) has MBT, base, altitude, and a fourth I can't think of at the moment... Mine should be pretty easy compared to his.

I'm hoping I don't overshoot 100% load, sounds like it's going to cause issues and you gave me great food for thought if I run into that.
Ill dig in a little more later but I should note this for now.

If you plan to run a blower on a mod motor with 11psi you are going to exceed 100% load. Load can also be called VE, when you force air into an engine its not hard to exceed 100% of the engines volumetric efficiency. You should be able to modify the Y normalizer to take the break points to 199% (1.99) load. I'll grab you a couple of screen shots later of where I would start.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:13 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stevecooper
Ill dig in a little more later but I should note this for now.

If you plan to run a blower on a mod motor with 11psi you are going to exceed 100% load. Load can also be called VE, when you force air into an engine its not hard to exceed 100% of the engines volumetric efficiency. You should be able to modify the Y normalizer to take the break points to 199% (1.99) load. I'll grab you a couple of screen shots later of where I would start.
Cool, thanks.

I know the CBAZA strategy has multiple methods of calculating load, by just changing the value of a scalar, you can switch it between load based on TPS voltage, calculated VE, or load as a percentage of possible engine load (based off injector pulse width). So for the first, you'd get a clean 0-100%, for the second you could get anything - 10-200%+, and the last, you'd likely see 2-60% with a proper setup.

All depends I guess. I hope it doesn't exceed 100% load. I am keeping the stock MAF but probably adding that MAF.ia... we'll see. If I add the mafia and change the MAF transfer I know I'll end up over 100%. Just trying to avoid that.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:04 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Here, I managed to find what I believe you mean, the y normalizer doesn't have RPM in it, just load (0, 1, 8) and rows. So I should be able to get rid of some of those negative values (since when will my RPM be negative, anyway?) and add some more positive values so I can extend the rev limit a bit?

At the same time, my spark tables, the column that said 6000 would then be whatever I set the highest to? It seems like I get 30 revs/point, so the highest I could do with 254 is 7620 RPM with this ECU.

Which is also higher than I'll ever want to go.

The ECU has something like 7300 as a soft limit, I forget the pips/min count exactly, but it was near there. I also want to lower that number to get a "soft" rev limit that doesn't cut fuel - but instead stops calculating spark... any idea where to lower that, as well?
Old 08-21-2009, 02:03 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Got a tuning issue now...

I'm using the stock MAF in blow-thru configuration, but I also have a Diablosport MAF.ia to extend its range.

WOT when I start seeing boost the engine goes lean BADLY.

If I don't adjust the tune from N/A, while it was N/A I saw 11 flat at WOT at higher RPM's... I figured this would even itself out with the supercharger.

Instead, at 2500 RPM - 0 boost, A/F is 12.3 or so. 3000 RPM it's 12.8 (starting to get a couple psi) by 4000 RPM I'm seeing 13.3-13.6 and ~4 psi, and I shut it down there because it just keeps getting more lean.

I thought I might have been pegging the MAF that early (no way to data log it yet, friend is using his SCT tuner) so I set the MAF.ia to setting 4, which is a 57% reduction, and multiplied my entire MAF transfer function to the proper amount.

Driveability was like before the MAF.ia was on there - so I know I did that right. But I still saw the same issues when going WOT, as soon as I would start to make boost, it would just go lean.

42 lb injectors, 310lph fuel pump - but stock fuel rails. Fuel delivery really shouldn't be an issue but I worry it is. I need to find a way to datalog fuel pressure.

Suggestions on the tune?
Old 08-21-2009, 02:04 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Got a tuning issue now...

I'm using the stock MAF in blow-thru configuration, but I also have a Diablosport MAF.ia to extend its range.

WOT when I start seeing boost the engine goes lean BADLY.

If I don't adjust the tune from N/A, while it was N/A I saw 11 flat at WOT at higher RPM's... I figured this would even itself out with the supercharger.

Instead, at 2500 RPM - 0 boost, A/F is 12.3 or so. 3000 RPM it's 12.8 (starting to get a couple psi) by 4000 RPM I'm seeing 13.3-13.6 and ~4 psi, and I shut it down there because it just keeps getting more lean.

I thought I might have been pegging the MAF that early (no way to data log it yet, friend is using his SCT tuner) so I set the MAF.ia to setting 4, which is a 57% reduction, and multiplied my entire MAF transfer function to the proper amount.

Driveability was like before the MAF.ia was on there - so I know I did that right. But I still saw the same issues when going WOT, as soon as I would start to make boost, it would just go lean.

42 lb injectors, 310lph fuel pump - but stock fuel rails. Fuel delivery really shouldn't be an issue but I worry it is. I need to find a way to datalog fuel pressure.

Suggestions on the tune?

Quick Reply: Got a supercharger? I need a favor!