4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:11 PM
6BANGER98
1st Gear Member

Talking Lots of questions

Ok all currently I have a 98 v6 mustang and recently have gotten a 98 Romeo GT Block. Im changing the heads to cobra heads though. The only difference in the blocks is the side bolt lengths for the crank and one other thing i forget at the moment. If anyone has anything they are looking to get rid of like a wiring harness for a 96-98 Cobra please let me know. Or if you have any of these parts that I can use. I have only made a list so far of what I am getting. Only parts I have so far are Romeo Block. All bolts (ARP) for motor and Cobra B heads with stock internals.

Upgrades on the motor that will be done:
Bored +.020 over - already done
All Manley Forged Internals
Cobra B heads - already have
Comp Cams Stage II
Comp Cams valve springs
Hardened steel retainers
Kenny Bell 2.2 Blower - non intercooled

Transmission:
Going with a TKO600 transmission
Aluminum drive shaft
Going with forged 3.73 gears
Aburn pro series posi
31 spline axels with c-clip elims

Things debating on doing:
Methane injection - will cool supercharger and boost octane - only reason debating is because I dont want to have to fill the tank and watch it. I would like to do it but it will become a hassle im sure - anyone currently have it on their car? Cant seem to find anyone that has already done it...

Im trying to run around 14 psi of boost on the KB. Im going to get a smaller pulley but not so small that it slips. Going to have a guy tune the car when finished.

The things that im not sure of are:
-What size injectors to go with?
-What size fuel pump? 255 / 155 ltr/hr
-Suspension - of course im going to replace almost everything - kmember, aarms, shocks, springs, braces, subframe connectors - thing im debating is a 4 point roll cage in the back so I can keep the rear seats. I want to take this to the track so im trying to make sure that a 4 point roll cage will qualify and be worth it etc...?

If anyone can give any advice or pointers I would be thankful and the reason I dont just get a cobra and do this is because I am already replacing almost everything. So it doesnt really matter if I start out with a cobra. Only difference is I have to replace wiring harness and few other minor things...

Last edited by lizzyfan; 09-28-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:30 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

why not ditch those B heads for some tumble ports or some 03 cobra heads? as for fuel injector and pump size, i would have a nice little chat with your tuner.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:39 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

That's a pretty big list. I hpe it's a real list and not just another "I wish" list, lol. Good luck, here's my thoughts.

I may not have to say this BUT Check the piston dish and CC of the heads because your compression ration is going to drop if you use stock dish pistons in it's forged counterpart. 7.8:1 or 8.6:1 IDR which, is what you'd end up with with stock pistons and a conversion.

With 14lbs you're going to need at least an in tank 255 and a supporting 255 or KB BAP. (My dual 255's have gotten me to 600ish)

If you're getting non I/C and you're running 14lbs you better have meth. (Or water or anything for that matter)

You'll need a 6pt cage to be track legal IF you reach the track times that require it.

I always say start with 60# injectors. If you're buying them why not buy the max injector you'll predict to ever need when they are almost the same price. I paid $333 for mine through Kurgan Motorsports. If for some odd reason you buy 42's and your pumps start reaching their max a bigger injector can help tune through he problem allowing you to safely reach that number you want.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:25 AM
6BANGER98
1st Gear Member

Ive had seanhylandmotorsports tell me to go with 42lb injectors. Ive had blowbyracing tell me 60lb injectors... etc... im just not sure. I was hoping somone has done most of these mods and can straighten this out. The reason Im going with B heads is because they are one of if not the best flowing heads for a 4.6. They flow better then C heads if i recall and the supercharger/computer is ment for the B heads - less problems.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Definitely go with 60# injectors. You'll need at least a 255 in tank and either a KB BAP or an additional 255 in line pump. Bigger injectors can help the tuning If for some reason you start to run out of fuel and will help dial in the numbers.

Make sure you get the correct Dish pistons. adding pistons that are the same dish as the 2v will lower your compression way down so make sure everything's matched according to your goal.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:19 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

^ good point on the compression, +1 to all the fuel stuff.

O.P i have a cobra intake for sale, you won't need the upper but idk if i can separate. :\

Its a takeoff from my car, im going C heads thus my "B" style intake cannot be used.
If you're interested PM me an offer.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:07 PM
6BANGER98
1st Gear Member

sxynerd - yes I know about the compression rating. I am going with the Manley 11cc dished pistons. It will give me a compression rating around 9.2-9.4 : 1. Kenny bell recommended this compression to get best results. And thank you about the fuel pump.

The reason I wasnt sure about meth injection is because seanhylandmotor told me that in all the years they have delt with KB as long as you get a good tune you dont have to worry about detination. They claim they have run 17 psi set ups on non intercooled versions and never had one returned yet.

The only reason its non-intercooled is because it sits directly on the engine bay. The air goes directly through the intake to the KB. No one makes a intercooler for this set up.

SVT - thanks for the offer but im going to put a steeda aftermarket intake on it. This motor will be built, its just coming down to the money factor at the moment. But slowly I have been getting it togeather.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 6BANGER98
sxynerd - yes I know about the compression rating. I am going with the Manley 11cc dished pistons. It will give me a compression rating around 9.2-9.4 : 1. Kenny bell recommended this compression to get best results. And thank you about the fuel pump.

The reason I wasnt sure about meth injection is because seanhylandmotor told me that in all the years they have delt with KB as long as you get a good tune you dont have to worry about detination. They claim they have run 17 psi set ups on non intercooled versions and never had one returned yet.

The only reason its non-intercooled is because it sits directly on the engine bay. The air goes directly through the intake to the KB. No one makes a intercooler for this set up.

SVT - thanks for the offer but im going to put a steeda aftermarket intake on it. This motor will be built, its just coming down to the money factor at the moment. But slowly I have been getting it togeather.
tell that to KB because they sell a i/c KB.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:31 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Steeda eh? i didn't know they made an aftermarket 4v intake, anyhoo that CR seems a little high, idk i guess 14 lbs isn't too much boost, +1 to Kenne Bell making I/C kits. (its e not y fyi.)
Old 09-29-2009, 03:38 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 6BANGER98
Ive had seanhylandmotorsports tell me to go with 42lb injectors. Ive had blowbyracing tell me 60lb injectors... etc... im just not sure. I was hoping somone has done most of these mods and can straighten this out. The reason Im going with B heads is because they are one of if not the best flowing heads for a 4.6. They flow better then C heads if i recall and the supercharger/computer is ment for the B heads - less problems.
actually, they are near the bottom of the barrel as far as 4V heads go. if they were the best, why did they switch to the C heads for 99/01? or put B heads on the 03 cobra or cobra R?

i would go with the 60's between the two. as sxynerd already stated, its a good idea to have some breathing room with the duty cycle.

Quick Reply: Lots of questions