4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Functional hood scoop on stock GT hood

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:56 PM
offthewall158
1st Gear Member

Default Functional hood scoop on stock GT hood

I have an 02 GT with the stock gt hood. I was thinking about cutting a hole in the hood to make the scoop funtional, although it would only provide fresh air over the entire engine and not directly to the air intake like the shaker hood scoop system. Is this a bad idea?
Old 10-11-2009, 08:59 PM
UmX
3rd Gear Member

i wouldnt recommend it.. I did it. the scoop finallly gave loose and flew off on the eway.. air goes but push up on the scoop pulling all the braces and tearing them.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I doubt it would fly off but it's not going to add anything to it.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:02 PM
natedog
3rd Gear Member

I heard stories abt them flying off, so I took out the honeycomb piece in the hood scoop and drilled through each of the honeycomb holes. It was a PITA but the honeycomb piece still gives it some structure while helping the engine cool a bit. It helps down here in TX on the hot summer days.

Sometimes I can see the heat escaping from the scoop at a stoplight.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:32 AM
UmX
3rd Gear Member

trust me they fly off if u take the honeycomb out.. and drive on the high way all the time.. .. mine hit some caddy that was behind me lol
Old 10-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

don't do it! the previous owner did that and it was nothing but problems for me. if it rained hard enough, water used to get in and find its way down into the plug wells

Old 10-13-2009, 12:39 AM
AirBrontosaurus
2nd Gear Member

I've posted this a few times before:

Don't do it. The underhood airflow characteristics are very important to cooling performance, and cutting a massive hole in the top of your hood and shoving differing amounts of air through it at different times is a bad idea. Furthermore, when it rains you'll be pulling in lots of water that will land on your very hot engine. Hot metal + cold water = stress and strain.

I actually had something similar to this done on my mustang by the previous owner. There was a chute leading from the scoop to my airbox, and a hole cut in the side of the airbox. The opening to the scoop and the hole where actuated by the engine vacuum. When the vacuum was positive, the scoop was closed off and the airbox simply inducted air from the engine compartment. This was great because it made the restriction on the intake air less, as well as shielded the car against rainwater entering into the intake stream.

However, once the vacuum was reduced to zero (at WOT), then the hole was closed and the scoop was opened. Thus, the movement of the car forced a slightly larger amount of air into the engine at high RPMs.

It was a pretty cool design, but entirely pointless. At best, it just looked kind of neat and was a good conversation starter.

Again, I would highly advise you to not do it. You'll be screwing with the airflow under the hood, which is not something you want to do.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:22 AM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

can we make this topic a sticky already. seems like it pops up every week
Old 10-13-2009, 10:33 AM
jgorm
1st Gear Member

You would need a shaker hood and setup if you want to make it "functional". Blowing air onto the engine is not going to do much except cause trouble. A cowl hood will cool things down way more because it will suck out air instead of blowing. I've heard of a few DIY hood scoops blowing off at speed. There will be a TON of force on it at 100mph.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:09 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
I doubt it would fly off but it's not going to add anything to it.
oh it definately will. it may take a few days/weeks/months but the screws holding the scoop down are plastic. they will give way eventually if the honeycomb is removed.

Quick Reply: Functional hood scoop on stock GT hood