4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Camber Unadjustable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 12:40 PM
2012White5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default Camber Unadjustable?

So my Mustang has been having alignment issues, my camber is out of whack and the outside of my drivers side front tire is wearing off. They said there is very little camber adjustment possible on the 99-04 mustangs they said the best thing to do would to get a set of Caster Camber plates and that will allow for a full camber adjustment I found a set for $160 on American Muscle. Does anyone know how much it would cost to have these installed and if it sounds right what I told, what I have read seems to agree with what I was told but I want a second opinion.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

'Tis true there is not a whole lot of adjustment via OEM plates, but if the alignment person is saying that this wear cannot be adjusted out, take your car somewhere else.

Now maybe there is a bent "A" arm or something and cannot adjust via OEM plates, this is another issue altogether, but he/she should be able to tell you that. Do you have any aftermarket springs/struts or suspension work done on your ride?

Jazzer
Old 11-25-2009, 02:59 PM
sv650lex
2nd Gear Member

+1. I would also get some print outs of where the camber is at. Also the camber would have to be way out to be wearing the outside of the tire. Normally the tire would be tilted in and wearing the inside. I would guess it may have more to do with the toe. That is the most common cause for tire wear.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:23 PM
2012White5.0
2nd Gear Member

Its all stock, I was told the same thing before on the alignment and the camber is way out one the print out they gave me. Ive had the car aligned before and been told the same thing, dont really want to buy new tires all the time so im thinking about getting the caster camber plates.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:53 AM
sv650lex
2nd Gear Member

a stock car shouldn't be that far out that it's chewing up tires. Check to see if everything is straight before you get the plates. If it is get the plates and you'll be good.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

This sounds like an issue of possible damage to front end suspension. Are you sure this car has not been in an accident? There is no reason that the stock set-up cannot get you back to standard camber/toe adjustments unless there is some damage or incorrect parts installed.

I have not seen the OEM CC plates in quite some time. Is it possible they are installed incorrectly? That is to say, 90* out of position? I know my own CC plates, when I had them, were originally installed this way and the alignment was not able to be set correctly.

Jazzer
Old 11-27-2009, 08:17 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

The alignment in mine became terrible some time around 30k miles and it's been chewing up tires ever since that. I've owned the car since 5900 miles and it's never been in anything resembling an accident... never even hit a pothole. It's been autocrossed - but the alignment problem started much before my first autocross, it started when I added saleen wheels.

Get Maximum Motorsports plates, huge adjustment range and you can't install them wrong. Best way to go - though alignment shops still can't seem to get it right.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:48 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

i had the same problem after i lowered my car and jack williams said i didnt need camber plates, just longer camber bolts. Long story short they had them in stock and installed them for 30 bucks a pop
Old 12-01-2009, 10:32 PM
2012White5.0
2nd Gear Member

Well first off the car has never been in an accident. I took it around town had 2 other shops look at it and they told me the same thing, the camber is off and that nothing is bent, or broken. So then the only thing left for me to decide is what i want to do. Im tired of of the alignment being off, and i know im going to have the car for another year to two years. Im leaning towards a set of caster camber plates, but have not heard anything about a longer camber bolt.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

OK... get some CC plates, as they are a good idea anyway, but you should not NEED them to address your issue as described. This just makes no sense to me

Jazzer

Quick Reply: Camber Unadjustable?