4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Predator sweetness

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 03:25 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Pubydingus
I dont understand how making the WOT richer would hurt anything, i could understand leaning it out could be dangerous, but increasing fuel is just like getting bigger injectors right... advancing the timing is sucking more air and leaning it out?
Advancing the timing has nothing to do with air flow--either increasing or decreasing it--it simply cause the spark to occur sooner and thereby ignite the air/fuel mixture sooner. Touch it off too soon and you will have destructive detonation.

However as the Predator only lets you advance it by 10% (2.5° to 3.0°) you won't be able to do any real damage...

Regarding the air/fuel mix. while making the mix too rich won't hurt anything right away, it will destroy the O2 sensors and cats before long. Also, having the mix too rich (I have no idea what "40%" means in Predator speak) will cause a significant loss of power.

This said, I believe that the Predator modifies the Stabilized Open Loop Fuel Table when the fuel settings are changed, so unless you are in open-loop mode (WOT at higher loads) the +40% change will have no effect.

Beyond that, you should not be messing with fueling unless you know what you are doing and have a wideband O2 sensor system. You should also get Greg Banish's Engine Management/Advanced Tuning book so that you might learn how engine controls work and interact...
Old 12-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Shaken
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Advancing the timing has nothing to do with air flow--either increasing or decreasing it--it simply cause the spark to occur sooner and thereby ignite the air/fuel mixture sooner. Touch it off too soon and you will have destructive detonation.

However as the Predator only lets you advance it by 10% (2.5° to 3.0°) you won't be able to do any real damage...

Regarding the air/fuel mix. while making the mix too rich won't hurt anything right away, it will destroy the O2 sensors and cats before long. Also, having the mix too rich (I have no idea what "40%" means in Predator speak) will cause a significant loss of power.

This said, I believe that the Predator modifies the Stabilized Open Loop Fuel Table when the fuel settings are changed, so unless you are in open-loop mode (WOT at higher loads) the +40% change will have no effect.

Beyond that, you should not be messing with fueling unless you know what you are doing and have a wideband O2 sensor system. You should also get Greg Banish's Engine Management/Advanced Tuning book so that you might learn how engine controls work and interact...
Cliffyk the diy section on mil's eliminators :thumbsup: !. Having data logged both 7r50D and the newest 9r07b croms, The 7r50d crom for the Predator will give you close to 2 degrees @ 10% while the 9r07b is closer to 3 degrees @ 10%. With out a wideband o2 sensor and a data logger I would not adjust the fuel settings for reasons stated by Cliffyk. Try this link it could give you a better understanding before spending money. http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=64

Pre ignition is something you want to avoid so if you are going to run the timing to max make sure you are using premium fuel.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Pubydingus
1st Gear Member

i dont have cats so theres no fear there
Old 12-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Pubydingus
1st Gear Member

so i should leave the timing up and put the fuel back to normal
Old 12-13-2009, 05:11 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by Pubydingus
so i should leave the timing up and put the fuel back to normal
Listen to what Cliffy told you
Old 12-13-2009, 05:28 PM
atlst180

so your saying that advacing timing leaves no need to add fuel to prevent detonation? lizzy and cliffy
Old 12-13-2009, 05:34 PM
Pubydingus
1st Gear Member

Well it didnt smell like it was running rich and with more bolt ons that breath in air better i should want to be adding more fuel anyway right? and my car felt like it loved it, i have no cats and what kind and where can i get a wide band and what should the numbers be at?
Old 12-13-2009, 05:41 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

A bit of background--the desired spark timing is calculated by the PCM according to a bunch of factors, both sensor inputs and calculated and lookup table based factors. It is then compared to the Spark Borderline Table (SBT) for the current load and rpm.

If the calculated advance value is higher than the SBT value then the SBT value is used. After that the Global Spark Adder value is added in.

Most all of the standard/base "canned" tunes will automatically add 2° to the Global Spark Adder and 1.5° to 2.0° to the Spark Borderline Table, for their basic 87 octane tune. This is because the OEM tune is so lame, setup to guarantee (think "Warranty") that no one will be able--under any circumstances--to hurt the engine.

On top of what these base tunes provide you can easily add another 1.5° to 2.0° in the borderline table for 91 octane, and another 2.0° in the table and 2.0° to the global adder if you run 93 octane. The Predator so-called WOT settings seem to only affect the borderline table.

Adding 10% to the SBT (over what a base canned tune does), is a pretty safe bet.

Once again as to fueling, don't mess with it until you get a WBO2 system. However as the Predator only manipulates the Open Loop Fuel Table, and it takes quite a bit to get our cars into open loop, the result of the 40% setting will likely only be bogging at WOT, with no damage to the cats (if the OP had them) and O2 sensors unless you drive around all the time at WOT...
Old 12-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Pubydingus
1st Gear Member

1.what do you mean by getting our cars in open loop?
2. WOT mean pedal to the floor?
3. wasnt bogging at all last night or today under WOT if that means pedal down
4. 92 octane is our highest
5. where can i get a good WBO2 system
Old 12-13-2009, 06:00 PM
atlst180

does the predator not have a tune that will work good in any climate as a base? Colder denser air goin through a engine require more fuel especially sense the predator puts the ecu on open loop taking the ecus self adjustability away anyway?

Last edited by atlst180; 12-13-2009 at 06:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Predator sweetness