4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Worth upgrading Aluminum Driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 06:58 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Don't get me wrong all these little bolt ons add up (not to a lot though) but the ones you're talking about are at the bottom of the list.

The ones you should be looking at (the ones that actually make a differnce) are gears, tune, and a full exhaust. But a full long tube exhaust will make your ride louder than you might want.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:06 PM
GTVAPSAMTIK
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Don't get me wrong all these little bolt ons add up (not to a lot though) but the ones you're talking about are at the bottom of the list.

The ones you should be looking at (the ones that actually make a differnce) are gears, tune, and a full exhaust. But a full long tube exhaust will make your ride louder than you might want.
I wanted to intall mods that I can do it myself and are easily to install. So far I was able to install pullies and steeda tri axel easily.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTVAPSAMTIK
I wanna buy me a next mod that I can install easily myself. I was browsing around on AM, would love to install Gears but looks like thats very complex job for do it yourself.

Now I am thinking about Aluminum Driveshaft OR SLP Mustang Loudmouth II Catback. I can install these two mods easily myself. Atleast thats what I think. Is there a real advantage for spending $320 on Ford FRPP Aluminum Drive Shaft
http://www.americanmuscle.com/96gtand96coa.html . Its 6LB lighter then my rusty stock drive shaft.

If I have to choose, which of these two mods will give me some extra HP. I mostly drive on street where speed limit is no more then 45. Also on post my exhaust cant be really loud.
This item has been unavailable since end of September. I called AM about this part last month and the woman said "Looks like this has been discontinued and it doesn't look like we have any plans of reordering it in the future."

Also in the last week (if not few days) I noticed it jumped from $260 to $325!!!!
Old 02-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

You'll be o.k. with the LM2 exhaust; I originally had the LM1, which has no sound deadening material, when I was running the stock midpipe, but switched to LM2 (which does have some sound deadening) with the o/r pipe. Even how mine is now with the o/r pipe, it's not obnoxiously loud unless I shift or rev higher than 4 grand. In fact, I see F-350's and Ram 3500's all day that are still louder than me. If you plan on keeping your stock midpipe, I recommend going with LM1 (I loved how it sounded), but even if you change your mind later about the midpipe you can order the LM2 resonators by themselves for about $180.

On a sidenote, I'm a little disappointed about the general consensus regarding the aluminum driveshaft, as I was thinking that might be on the horizon for my car.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:14 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

As long as you realize that they don't add any measurable power to speak of, then by all means go for it.

I mean i did all those little mods, but it was after gears, tune, and exhaust, and i mainly did the rest just to complete the "full bolt ons" list.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:24 PM
GTVAPSAMTIK
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
As long as you realize that they don't add any measurable power to speak of, then by all means go for it.

I mean i did all those little mods, but it was after gears, tune, and exhaust, and i mainly did the rest just to complete the "full bolt ons" list.
Thanks a bunch Mrtstang, thats good bunch of info. I am going with SLP 2.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:53 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTVAPSAMTIK
Thanks a bunch Mrtstang, thats good bunch of info. I am going with SLP 2.
You bet man. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:56 AM
nepopolus

you wont have a problem at all installing the exhaust,even a x/h pipe is easy, one of the bolt's connecting to the exhaust manifold on the passenger side is a little bit of a pain but with a swivel head it is not too bad.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:37 PM
JoeyStangz00

ahhh i would've said to go with the aluminum drive shaft, once you combo the driveshaft with a short-throw and with an aluminum flywheel its beast. I think upgrading your drivetrain is worth alot more then any amounts of bolts on you throw on the car. LM has a nice sound though.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:15 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

well, if your loking for bang for buck....exhaust will make you feel faster, and Throttle body and upper intake. That is about it for seat of the pants stuff. I mean all of it helps some, but those are the ones i noticed. Now on the subject of the driveshaft. I cant say for sure yet, but i imagine where it may not be notiable to the butt dyno, it might add up at the end of a quarter mile. When i get a little extra money ill let people know, because i just rebuilt engine and did a tranny swap. So from my previous best i have now added better gearing windage tray and alum. flywheel. We shall see how it reacts, then when i get a chance ill do just the drive shaft.