4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Do you believe porting numbers

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 06:36 PM
mark a rittenhouse
1st Gear Member

Default Do you believe porting numbers

i talked to ron at fox lake before i ordered my trick flow two valve heads from mmr rons been doing porting for a lot of years he told me that the most additional horse power he was able to obtain from those heads was 20 horse he said he recieved his first sett for porting about alittle over a year ago and 20 horse is about all you are going to get no matter how you slice um. mmr is boasting 35 first port 45 stage 2 and 55 stage 3. i have a tendancy to want to believe ron he has been around awhile and allways talks true numbers. want to do stage three port thru mmr but i am a little skeptical. anyone have any facts on either one?

Last edited by mark a rittenhouse; 02-10-2010 at 06:38 PM. Reason: mispell
Old 02-10-2010, 08:36 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

i think there was an article done recently in either 5.0 or MM&FF where Fox Lake ported a pair of the new Trick Flow heads on their CNC machine. i don't think the flow numbers were significantly better than as-cast, so that sounds about right. now sure if MMR has done any extensive dyno testing to back up their claims.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:31 AM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mark a rittenhouse
i talked to ron at fox lake before i ordered my trick flow two valve heads from mmr rons been doing porting for a lot of years he told me that the most additional horse power he was able to obtain from those heads was 20 horse he said he recieved his first sett for porting about alittle over a year ago and 20 horse is about all you are going to get no matter how you slice um. mmr is boasting 35 first port 45 stage 2 and 55 stage 3. i have a tendancy to want to believe ron he has been around awhile and allways talks true numbers. want to do stage three port thru mmr but i am a little skeptical. anyone have any facts on either one?

Ron is spot on, TFS has the race version coming out shortly that will flow a bunch more but you need a real intake as the plastic PI only allows 200CFM no matter what the head flows without it, and then you are looking at 8000RPM engines.

I have never flowed a MMR head but there is a lot of flow BS out there.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:45 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by nickmckinney
Ron is spot on, TFS has the race version coming out shortly that will flow a bunch more but you need a real intake as the plastic PI only allows 200CFM no matter what the head flows without it, and then you are looking at 8000RPM engines.

+1000--do not EVER take on face value anything someone trying to sell you something says...
Old 02-11-2010, 01:36 PM
cobra dreamer
2nd Gear Member

You have to remember there is apoint when its to much
there are tons of cobras out there running huge numbers (i know its a 4v)
but they do it most of the time threw stock heads meaning no porting
and i do beleave but not sure they flow around 330 ish and that more than enough..honestly a the trick flows the way they sit are perfect fr anybuild no matter the hp number .
i had a friend with a set of stage 3's ona daily driver (tuned by dez) and it was still not very happy on the street
like i said there is a point when there is to much flow.cause u got to remember if it a daily car you are pretty much never in boost
Old 02-11-2010, 03:19 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cobra dreamer
You have to remember there is apoint when its to much

If its still on a stock PI intake, 200CFM is enough as thats all that intake is doing anyway.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:13 PM
mark a rittenhouse
1st Gear Member

If its still on a stock PI intake, 200CFM is enough as thats all that intake is doing anyway.
i am going to be useing them on forged under 12to1 comp edlebrock intake sullivan twin blade cobra twin 64 throttle body spraying a 150 to 200 shot at the track
Old 02-11-2010, 04:19 PM
mark a rittenhouse
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
+1000--do not EVER take on face value anything someone trying to sell you something says...
thanks for the input i am starting to think its bull**** mmr is slinging around!
Old 02-11-2010, 04:21 PM
mark a rittenhouse
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by texas_stang02
i think there was an article done recently in either 5.0 or MM&FF where Fox Lake ported a pair of the new Trick Flow heads on their CNC machine. i don't think the flow numbers were significantly better than as-cast, so that sounds about right. now sure if MMR has done any extensive dyno testing to back up their claims.
sure would like to know what mo, that artical was in any help?
Old 02-11-2010, 04:29 PM
mark a rittenhouse
1st Gear Member

have you heard when? i hope they dont have nearly the problems of the last castings those have taken forever they have recently switched foundries witch has even put them further behind. trick flow told me for every 100 castings they turn back 80 and assemble 20.

Quick Reply: Do you believe porting numbers