4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

SCT chip + radio interferance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:49 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Default SCT chip + radio interferance?

I talked to a local dyno shop today, and was going over what he could do with my car. long story short i want to do a dyno tune with a SCT 4 bank chip installed with cable.

he seems like a very knowledgable guy and is real nice, and has done tons of stangs. owned a 04 cobra and put a chip in it. told me that to keep in mind that its possible the the chip could lessen the radio reception. said its only a problem on a newer cars. Fox bodies dont have this problem.

i was wondering if anyone else has heard of this? or has had this problem?
Old 03-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
I talked to a local dyno shop today, and was going over what he could do with my car. long story short i want to do a dyno tune with a SCT 4 bank chip installed with cable.

he seems like a very knowledgable guy and is real nice, and has done tons of stangs. owned a 04 cobra and put a chip in it. told me that to keep in mind that its possible the the chip could lessen the radio reception. said its only a problem on a newer cars. Fox bodies dont have this problem.

i was wondering if anyone else has heard of this? or has had this problem?
I never once had a problem when I ran an SCT 4 bank. I even switched tunes while driving. I don't see how this would affect your radio reception in anyway, negatively or positively
Old 03-02-2010, 05:07 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

neither do i, but he said he talked from experiance and he not once tried to talk me into using a handheld....which i told him i also had (but its locked and would need to send it to sct) he told me he had an 04 cobra and it happened. but had a stock HU, which i have an aftermarket one.

im just wondering if anyone else ran into this. any and all feeback welcome

stevecooper thanks for the reponse
Old 03-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Eduardo
3rd Gear Member

i dont listen to the radio in my car much but when i have, i never had a problem. my HU is also aftermarket and have a shorty antenna
Old 03-02-2010, 09:42 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

^^ same here with shorty antenna

so its looking like i will do this. just wanted to hear from prople who have one in their New Edge
Old 03-02-2010, 10:07 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It's not inconceivable, however I have not heard personally of any issues.

The EEC-V PCM operates at 18MHz, and the 5th and 6th harmonics of 18MHz are 90Mhz and 108MHz respectively--pretty much both ends of the FM band. As typically J3 extender boards are not well shielded, and any beat frequencies created by interaction of these likely to be strong harmonics within the IF mixer of the receiver could create problems.

However, my gut feeling is that the tuner is introducing a solid "before-the-fact, CYA, just in case" statement...
Old 03-03-2010, 08:19 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

thanks guys, i mean he could have not said anything and just told me a price i liked and sent me on my way then played dumb. but i respect the fact he brought it up all the while did not try to get me to go a more expensive route(like buying an xcal from him).

one guy quoted me $200, another one quoted me just under $300...soo how do you guys choose a tuner? both seem to know their way around mustangs and have done plenty of them while giving info about the mod motors which convinces me they are not blowing smoke up my a$$. what do all of you consider while choosing a tuner? the $300 guy said he could possibly unlock my Xcal 2 for free (but with assumption he tunes my car with the chip, kinda a "while you're here bring it with you ill try to unlock it with my software")

also the $300 guy has heard of radio interferance (but not common), but no personal experiance. i could post the websites, but i dont know how much it will do for anyone to help me. they both could be making themselves look good with pictures and or dyno charts...
Old 03-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
It's not inconceivable, however I have not heard personally of any issues.

The EEC-V PCM operates at 18MHz, and the 5th and 6th harmonics of 18MHz are 90Mhz and 108MHz respectively--pretty much both ends of the FM band. As typically J3 extender boards are not well shielded, and any beat frequencies created by interaction of these likely to be strong harmonics within the IF mixer of the receiver could create problems.

However, my gut feeling is that the tuner is introducing a solid "before-the-fact, CYA, just in case" statement...
Not to question your entire statement as its out of my realm of knowledge, but the EEC-V PCM operates at several different frequencies depending on the year.

I believe the four common frequencies are, 18MHZ, 21MHZ, 24MHZ, and 27MHZ. Mine happens to operate at 24MHZ.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:14 AM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

i have the sct 4 bank and my radio is perfect
Old 03-03-2010, 10:27 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Stevecooper
Not to question your entire statement as its out of my realm of knowledge, but the EEC-V PCM operates at several different frequencies depending on the year.

I believe the four common frequencies are, 18MHZ, 21MHZ, 24MHZ, and 27MHZ. Mine happens to operate at 24MHZ.
Thank you Steve, do you know where the MY breakpoints are?

This could also explain why the vendor said "some" cars develop noise over the audio system. The 5th harmonic of 21MHz (105MHz) falls in the FM band, as does the 4th harmonic of 24MHz (96Mhz) and the 4th harmonic of 27MHz (108MHz).

Of these the 24MHz clock would be the most likely to cause FM interference, sitting almost smack dab in the middle of the FM band.

Quick Reply: SCT chip + radio interferance?