4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What needs to be done??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:34 PM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

Default What needs to be done??

Ok, so I am purchasing a newer engine to put in my car next tuesday. The guy who's selling it told me that the engine had only 30,000 miles on it when he pulled it from his 98 GT in order to put a 351 windsor in it. He also told me that it has been sitting outside for just under a year now but it has been covered, protected from the weather and all exhaust holes and everything were even plugged up in order to keep out pesky rodents and bugs. Now here's my questions. What do I have to do or what would you guys do to this engine before its put into another car? I know to do all the common sense things like replacing all fluids and plugs but what else should I do to make sure this thing will run like it should? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:54 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Do a compression test. Make sure it turns over without any binding. Pull the oil pan and make sure there isn't a pile of broken metal chunks hanging out in there!!!! Also taking a borescope and looking at the cylinder walls and top of the pistons wouldn't be a bad idea.

Personally, I would take it to a shop and have it checked out. Even if this costs you a hundred bucks or so, it will prevent you from installing a junk motor that has been collecting dust for a while.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:31 AM
SeanAndKate
3rd Gear Member

^^what he said. its worth having a shop look at it. just to give it the once over and make sure nothing was messed up when it was taken out. and also to make sure that it sitting hasnt made anything bad.