4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Are these spark plugs shot? pic included

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 04:36 PM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

Default Are these spark plugs shot? pic included

Im changing spark plugs because my car seems to be getting worse mileage and is lacking power...

Here is a picture of the old and new, also my new plugs are the same size but they have more threads....do i have the wrong kind? this is what pep-boys computer said was the best fit... Also this is in a v6

Notice how the tip is more pronounced on the new one, the old plug still has a tip but its not quite as big...

Can i also mix and match spark plugs temporarly? (there both the same i think) Im not sure that ill be able to get them all in at once...so id be riding with some new, some old.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:00 PM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

ok so now i have an emergency....i broke the porcelain off a spark plug...what do i do? can i still remove it? Its still attached to the block!

help! i need this car to run!
Old 03-17-2010, 05:01 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Those definitely need to be replaced. They have seen much better days. The thread count doesn't really matter. The center section of the plug is what determines how far it can be threaded into your head.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:03 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by itsdaveonline
ok so now i have an emergency....i broke the porcelain off a spark plug...what do i do? can i still remove it? Its still attached to the block!

help! i need this car to run!
Relax, the plug should still come right out even if the porcelain is broken
Old 03-17-2010, 05:22 PM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

Well im having trouble getting it out...its the plug thats closest to the firewall on the drivers side near the brake resivor....

I think i may have actually bent the actual plug itself too... but i cant tell because its so cramped and dark.

any chance i damaged the block? god i hope not. I was under the impression that this was easy to do...the first 2 were not bad but forget it when it comes to the passenger side.

Also can i run old/new plugs? i dont think ill be changing the passenger side soon.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:35 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

They shouldn't be that hard to get out. I can change the ones in my 2004 GT in about 45 min takin it easy. Try using a breaker bar if they are in there that tight. Make sure the engine isn't hot or you run the risk of damaging the threads when they are that tight.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:48 PM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

the car has been sitting off for about 2+ hours and it was not hot at all...Thats somewhat of a relief...

Should i try wd40? Even if i did bend the plug using my U joint attachment should my engine block be okay? i cant tell if its bent or if its just at a slightly different angle since its at the end of the block...

Also can i mix match the old and new plugs? it looks as though ill have 3 new plugs in and 3 old ones...Ill replace the passenger side ones later.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:53 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

It's impossible to say without seeing it if you damaged your threads or not. Either way the plug still needs to come out. You should not need a swivel to get those out. I can't imagine there is any more clearance issues with a v6.

But if you can't get to the pass side today, it will not hurt you to run the new plugs on just one side
Old 03-17-2010, 05:57 PM
7 UP Mustang
1st Gear Member

Yes, use some WD 40 as that might help it to come out. I do not think it is bent, if it is that will be a first for me. Good luck.

Larry
Old 03-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

all this over a spark plug change? just get a small magnetic pickup tool, stick it down in there, and pull the plug out. I dont understand the issue. How is it not coming out? Those are the factory original plugs so I dont think theyre cross threaded...

Quick Reply: Are these spark plugs shot? pic included