4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Intercoolers, Superchargers, tons of questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:05 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Default Intercoolers, Superchargers, tons of questions

Im just trying to figure all this stuff out, and which rxact route i'd like to take with my car.

Ok so first of all, The $1500 vortech, its non i/c'ed right? what inter/after cooler would work with it? and who sells these things?

What exactly does a bypass valve do? it lets out excess boost right? who makes a good one? where can i get it andhow do i install one of these things, if i did go this route?

Lastly, will a V2 or V1 Vortech from say a GT or Cobra work on my Mach?

Oh and ive searched a tad too
Old 03-22-2010, 12:28 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by boduke0220
Im just trying to figure all this stuff out, and which rxact route i'd like to take with my car.

Ok so first of all, The $1500 vortech, its non i/c'ed right? what inter/after cooler would work with it? and who sells these things?

What exactly does a bypass valve do? it lets out excess boost right? who makes a good one? where can i get it andhow do i install one of these things, if i did go this route?

Lastly, will a V2 or V1 Vortech from say a GT or Cobra work on my Mach?

Oh and ive searched a tad too
1) non ic yes. read one of the other stickies it shows you how/what you need to install an IC with the kit

2) bypass valve doesnt let out excess boost per say. a blow off valve vents the pressurized air into the atmosphere. with a blow off valve you need to use a blow through maf. with the standard vortech kits (the 1500$ DIY included) it comes with a BPV and you use a draw through maf (like a lightning MAF). you can't vent metered air or the car will run like crap. so a bypass valve recirculates the air back into the beginning of the intake after the MAF. blow thru maf and a BOV is more accurate, but a BPV is fine for boost levels on a stock intake. the stock vortech is good to like 9lbs or so.

3) the head unit itself will work fine, that answer is in the stickies. as long as its CCW rotation and strait discharge.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:02 AM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

Yea, the bypass/blow-off valves release boost pressure on throttle lift. wastgates on turbos let the exhaust skip the turbine to regulate a certain boost level. As long as you have the correct mounting bracket and ccw head unit, getting a piping kit for a cobra and mach should be the same. You can also run the lightning mafs as blowthru and they work quite well on stock bottomend cars, I've got one on my setup for now.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:55 AM
janine
3rd Gear Member

The small back plastic bypass valve included in the charger kit is inscufficient if your are running boost over 10psi. At least, that is my experience. I found that the Vortech blue mini race bypass valve solves all surging problems. Outstanding mod. It will smooth out the overall ride considerably.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:03 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Thanks a Ton Guys, MU71, what does CCW mean?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

CCW = Counter Clock Wise

This is the direction the impeller needs to rotate within the s/c unit for it to work on a mustang.
And as MU71L4710N said, make sure it has a straight discharge.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:50 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

yeah, counter clockwise rotation (i think alot of gm ones are clockwise).

and strait discharge means the exit tube on the supercharger is strait. if you look at a vortech for a fox body, the discharge tube starts to curve, where on the new mustangs its strait.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:48 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

The bpv... It doesn't exactly regulate boost, the pully does... It can, but its mostly the pully size. Its main intent is when driving not under load it vents the boosted air, so that your not constantly is boost, until u get on it...hence the name, bypass valve.

And a stock vortech is good for more then 9psi. Ppl are making 550rw on a standard s trim.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:48 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dimebag
The bpv... It doesn't exactly regulate boost, the pully does... It can, but its mostly the pully size. Its main intent is when driving not under load it vents the boosted air, so that your not constantly is boost, until u get on it...hence the name, bypass valve.

And a stock vortech is good for more then 9psi. Ppl are making 550rw on a standard s trim.
You misunderstand a little. If the bypass valve/blowoff valve isn't big enough you'll get compressor surge - that'll destroy your blower in a hurry.

There's no huge difference between a bypass valve and a blowoff valve. Bypass valve re-routes the air into the intake in front of the supercharger, a blowoff valve vents to the atmosphere. I have the procharger BPV and I vent it to atmosphere - tada, it's a blowoff valve now. The ProCharger one is -nice- but expensive.

If you're using a blow-thru MAF, you can use either valve. If you're using draw-thru (like most Vortech kits are) you need to use a bypass valve ONLY. You can not vent it to atmosphere.

That said, pick up a cheap ebay intercooler - that's probably the best way to go. You'll get some scary high intake temps without one.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:16 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

I completly understand how everything about a blower works, esp on mustangs. I think u may have missed my point. The bpv, and blow off valve for that matter, are NOT there to regulate boost, they are there for when u close the throttle, and when just cruising to vent it so ur not riding in boost all day long. In a sc app the pully is what determines boost numbers, aswell as the engine, ic, etc etc etc

Quick Reply: Intercoolers, Superchargers, tons of questions