4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Intsalling a Kenne Bell Supercharge on a Bone Stock 2002 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 10:32 AM
memozz

Default Intsalling a Kenne Bell Supercharge on a Bone Stock 2002 Mustang GT

Hi,

I have a bone stock 2002 Mustang GT, and i would like to install a Kenne Bell Supercharge,

I havent decided how many PSI i am going to go for.

My question is What do i need to change/replace in the engine to get the Supercharge properly installed??

or shall i just buy it and fix it ?!!! and how to adjust the PSI

Thank you
Old 05-15-2010, 10:50 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

you dont need to replace the motor. you're gonna want to stay under or around 400rwhp thats the breaking point on the stock block. make sure you get the intercooled version. if you have the funds, get a forged motor so you can either guarantee 400 is safe or go higher. you get a smaller blower pulley to increase boost.

how much power do you want...?
Old 05-15-2010, 10:59 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
you dont need to replace the motor. you're gonna want to stay under or around 400rwhp thats the breaking point on the stock block. make sure you get the intercooled version. if you have the funds, get a forged motor so you can either guarantee 400 is safe or go higher.
That^ and a safe tune
Old 05-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
That^ and a safe tune
OHHHH WOWWW Now we see a flyer's avatar? Where was the love in the first round?

I am just as addicted to hockey as I am mustangs, I watch 3-6 hours of hockey a night especially in during the playoffs. I absolutely love your coach Peter Laviolette he was our coach when we won the cup in 2006. He was fired on a really sour note and none of our fanbase liked it, its kinda odd nobody likes to talk about it. Our owner Karmanos was an utter douchebag about the whole process. Good for you guys i'm pulling for the flyers hard now even though I cant stand half the players(Pronger, Hartnell, Richards).

Back on topic....OP if you buy the kit new straight from Kenne Bell(gonna run you around $5,400 when all is said and done)the only thing that you need to buy is 8x NGKTR6 spark plugs to get this kit on and running, that is absolutely it. Do not get the non-intercooled version it is not worth the money. Twin-screw blowers heat the air up significantly more than a centri it is pertinent that you get the intercooler. Your engine will pull massive amounts of timing due to the hot air and the power gain VS cost will not be worth it.

Your engine's limits are right around 400RWHP. With the intercooled kit @ 9PSI you will be playing with fire. Some guys run that setup for 3 years and never have internal engine issues. Some people run this setup and blow their rods up in 3 months, just know your taking a gamble. I'm about to put a KB on and take that very same gamble. I will be saving for a forged shortblock in the meantime.

If you really wanna be safe run the KB intercooled @ 8PSI and call it a day. But thats not fool-proof if your tune isnt spot on it will blow at that power level without a doubt.

I just noticed you are in Kuwait in your other thread. Kenne Bell will not ship outside of the U.S. So if you want a brand new kit, you're going to have to trust somebody to be a middle-man and ship it to you. Otherwise your only choice is to buy it used and its rare to find these kits used, they usually get bought up quick as soon as they are on sale, trust me i know. Then you have to worry about having all the little pieces/hardware included in the used kit.

Last edited by Hangwire; 05-15-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:52 AM
invisableflames
1st Gear Member

Any of your questions can be answered on Kenne Bell's site. They have tons of white papers explaining everything including tech tips and dyno numbers. I cant remember if they have a manual on the site but email them and they would prob send you one. As stated above the kit comes will EVERYTHING minus the spark plugs. The main parts you will replace on the motor will be upper and lower intake. The kit is pretty easy to install and can be done yourself if you have general knowledge about mustangs in just a few days. The install instructions have pictures of every step. if you get stuck you can call Kenne Bell or come on here to ask for help. I do recommend you or a friend is good with soldering and wiring. My brother did car audio installs back in the day and was a great help with the required wiring as soldering is not my favorite thing to do. As stated above too, don't waste your money on the non-intercooled version go for the 9 psi kit with the intercooler.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Snitz
1st Gear Member

lol, if your looking for info on this look at my post in the pipes/boost/juice section of the forums, i asked the same thing about 5 days ago.
9psi kit with the intercooler is your best bet, but you cant do much more because your engine will be at its max. the kit KB sells is complete and is really everything you need. a person above stated that you will need to get your car tuned, this is not needed as KB will send you a chip with a tune designed for your car on it, but you are always better off doing a dyno tune with FI
Old 05-15-2010, 01:20 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by Hangwire
OHHHH WOWWW Now we see a flyer's avatar? Where was the love in the first round?
Wishy washy I guess
Two words SIMON GAGNE!
Old 05-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Shotgun Love
3rd Gear Member

dumb question- how do you forge the internals of a motor?
Old 05-15-2010, 04:35 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
you dont need to replace the motor. you're gonna want to stay under or around 400rwhp thats the breaking point on the stock block. make sure you get the intercooled version. if you have the funds, get a forged motor so you can either guarantee 400 is safe or go higher. you get a smaller blower pulley to increase boost.

how much power do you want...?
i believe you mean the stock pistons and rods. IIRC the 4.6 block is pretty stout.

Originally Posted by Shotgun Love
dumb question- how do you forge the internals of a motor?
lol...i really don't know what to tell you other than the obvious. take out the old weak parts and toss in some new forged peices. not a cheap project.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:27 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

Get the intercooled kit and 400 is not always the breaking point some people break with less than 400 and then some will go over 500 rwhp and be fine for years it just depends on the tune. In order to forge the motor you have to replace the rods and pistons. You can get manley rods and pistons for 1600 dollar I believe.

Quick Reply: Intsalling a Kenne Bell Supercharge on a Bone Stock 2002 Mustang GT