4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Engine Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 10:30 PM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

Default Engine Removal Question

Well, everything is all set on the 2002 GT. I disconnected everything, and began to hoist the motor out today. I had to pull both the engine and transmission because the LTs blocked access to all the tranny bolts. Anyways, I'm letting the engine sit tonight a little back on the motor mounts.

My question is, when I pull the engine/tranny out, the entire car seems to raise. Now, I realize I'm relieving a lot of weight from the springs, but it's at the point where I seem to be lifting the car itself, due to the fact that the engine is entirely suspended and free from all mounts. Now, the driveshaft is still connected to the tranny, but I was told that'll just sort itself out and come right out after a while. Is this true? Should I keep hoisting??? or am I really lifting the car? If I'm lifting the car, the engine crane is a ticking time bomb. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-18-2010, 10:35 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You need to drop the driveshaft--whomever told you it would "sort itself out" was under the influence of some substance...
Old 06-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

I hope he hasnt done damage to the diff by trying to force it up. Or possibly where the driveshaft mounts to the tranny. Hows the Cobra man? Been a while.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:40 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Take that driveshaft out. They do sit up very high when you pull the engine. Here is mine with the stock springs and the engine out, the jack is holding the tranny up.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:51 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
You need to drop the driveshaft--whomever told you it would "sort itself out" was under the influence of some substance...
+1 Whoever told you that is an idiot. Youll be lucky if you didnt mess up your tailshaft on the tranny or the bushing in there. I didnt even know we could pull the motor with the tranny in our cars.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:17 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I do agree it is not ideal to pull the engine with the DS still in it won't hurt anything. After all the Front of the DS just slides into the rear of the trans so when you start lifting the engine out it will slide right out. I would just remove the DS it is to hard to put the engine back in and align the DS with the trans
Also if you still have trans fluid in your trans you are going to make one hell of a mess when you tilt the engine and trans to remove it
Old 06-19-2010, 10:06 PM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
I hope he hasnt done damage to the diff by trying to force it up. Or possibly where the driveshaft mounts to the tranny. Hows the Cobra man? Been a while.
The driveshaft is approximately 2 inches out of the transmission, and not bent, so I think I'm gonna lower the engine/tranny back down and try to remove the driveshaft.

The cobra is great I was a strong believer in "you can never have to much power", but to tell you the truth, this 520rwhp is scary as hell when you let it loose on the street (which is why after one run with my friend's cobra versus mine, I haven't went full throttle since!). haha, but I'm sure once I get to the track I'll want more..