4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Two strange sounds

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Nelson21
1st Gear Member

Default Two strange sounds

2000 GT Auto 94k miles

First
Alright so I attempted to take some videos of my problem but the sound was bad enough that you couldn't make it out. So at idle there's a strange kind of ticking sound coming from passenger side of the engine compartment sounds like metal on meta (tink tink tink tink)l. When I rev up the engine the sound goes away or is muffled by the engine spinning faster. It is time for an oil change so ill let you know if it goes away when I change it, if not any ideas on what it could be?

Second
Doesn't happen frequently enough to try and get a video of it so ill try to explain it. Occasionally when I'm getting on the highway or speeding by someone under WOT and only at 5k+ rpms ill hear this, its not a clunk or ticking, sounds almost like somethings slipping maybe coming from the front of the engine? Maybe these to can sounds are related. This sound has been happening through the last oil change.

I know its a complete shot in the dark but all input/advice is appreciated.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Trying to chase down an internal noise can be difficult because of operating noise. Get a mechanics stethoscope, they are cheap and worth their money when trying to isolate a noise.

A tink tink tink could be anything from a top end noise to a bottom end noise. Getting a steth will help you figure out where it is coming from. Does this noise stick around even after the car is warmed up? I forget which year the 4.6's in the Mustangs stopped being produced in the Windsor plant and built in the Romeo plant, but the windsor 4.6's are notorious for piston slap on cold starts. I think it was in the 00-01 year?

Your belt could be slipping at the higher rpm's. 94k miles, most people never change their belts and if you've recently acquired the car it's probably had a few owners by now.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:13 PM
jserio
1st Gear Member

Well IMHO I think one could be a fuel injector starting to go.I've had that happen on several cars. A ticking at Idle.

As for number two if you have a stick it might be the clutch slipping under heavy load or if it is auto then maybe just approaching the rev limiter.

Anyway that's my .02 worth.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Nelson21
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dan04COBRA
Trying to chase down an internal noise can be difficult because of operating noise. Get a mechanics stethoscope, they are cheap and worth their money when trying to isolate a noise.

A tink tink tink could be anything from a top end noise to a bottom end noise. Getting a steth will help you figure out where it is coming from. Does this noise stick around even after the car is warmed up? I forget which year the 4.6's in the Mustangs stopped being produced in the Windsor plant and built in the Romeo plant, but the windsor 4.6's are notorious for piston slap on cold starts. I think it was in the 00-01 year?

Your belt could be slipping at the higher rpm's. 94k miles, most people never change their belts and if you've recently acquired the car it's probably had a few owners by now.
Where can I pick up a mechanics stethoscope, local autoparts store? Yes I do have a Windsor block, what were the main issues/differences with the Windsor vs the Romeo? The sound actually doesn't change from cold start to when the motor is at normal operating temparture. If I could just get an experienced MF memeber to come over and give my car a good once over

I actually changed my belt maybe a little over a year ago using a Goodyear Gatorback is it possible that it wore out so quick.

Thanks for the replies!

Also having some tranny noises by im confident I could get a quality video of the issue which I will post later.