4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

One Wheel Peel

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:31 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by piledriver
my 03 doesn't have clutch plates in the rear. I think people are just repeating false onfo.
Your the *** repeating false info.
Everyone that knows anything about Fords knows that Trac Lok is Fords version of a Posi rear end and there is indeed clutches in it.
Just because your car might have an aftermarket unit in it don't post here saying something to be a fact when you are the one that is wrong
Old 09-30-2010, 09:43 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It has 373's in the rear, it has traction lock, but there are blocks, no clutch plates... i just had the rear serviced and the guy showed me. it's not a true posi.
If it doesn't have clutch plates, then it doesn't have Traction-lok...
Old 09-30-2010, 07:41 PM
piledriver
Banned

Originally Posted by BraMas
Your the *** repeating false info.
Everyone that knows anything about Fords knows that Trac Lok is Fords version of a Posi rear end and there is indeed clutches in it.
Just because your car might have an aftermarket unit in it don't post here saying something to be a fact when you are the one that is wrong
How come this jerk isn't banned for 2 weeks, he's exhibiting hostile behavior. We're supposed to follow the rules in here, dummy.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:10 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Be the "banishment" issue as it may, do you now understand that either you have clutch plates in your differential--or you do not have Traction-lok?

As to Positraction; that is GM's trade name for their clutch type limited slip differential introduced in the early 60s. Over the years the term "posi" has become a generic reference, used by those who know no better, for LSD's in general--and by those who really don't know crap to refer to locking differentials.

I suspect that "the guy" is one of those who really doesn't know crap, and that what he meant by not a "true posi" was that it is not a locking differential--which is true, that's why it is called a "limited slip" differential.

Also, as it is a Ford product it is not possible for it to be a "true posi" anyway--that would be a trademark infringement...
Old 09-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Cliff notes: If your diff doesn't have the clutch packs it has been modified by the previous owner and no longer has the Traction-Lok limited slip differential that it was originally manufactured with. Bramas was trying to explain this to you, but you're stubborn, and cliffy has a lot more patience than us and did it in a nice way.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:17 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

How come this jerk isn't banned for 2 weeks, he's exhibiting hostile behavior. We're supposed to follow the rules in here, dummy.
what about my post is hostile? You post bad info and I call you out on it so I should be banned? It's the internet time to grow a little thicker skin
Old 10-05-2010, 07:47 AM
MustangManiac67
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
what about my post is hostile? You post bad info and I call you out on it so I should be banned? It's the internet time to grow a little thicker skin
I'm kinda sad to say I am from MI too after that...

Anyways, I agree 3.73s are the way to go. And just so you know it was most likely your right tire not your left. When I go straight or left spinning, both tires light up, BUT when i go right I really gotta throw it or get on it hard to get both to light up or its just the right tire spinning. As you can imagine I usually just go left...or straight...or I don't do it all and save my tires ;P lol
Old 10-05-2010, 09:35 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangManiac67
I'm kinda sad to say I am from MI too after that...l
WTF does that mean?
Old 10-05-2010, 09:50 AM
MustangManiac67
1st Gear Member

lol it was a joke...CHILL!

I am originally from Michigan too though if that's what you meant.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:55 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The Traction-lok system is a clutch type LSD (Limited Slip Differential), which works by using the side thrust generated by the spider gears to load and "lock" the clutch packs--the key word here is limited.

The magnitude of the loading on the clutches, and therefore the "locking", is directly proportional to the torque being transferred through the differential--I.e. more torque = more loading of the clutches = more limited slip.

This all works best when both tires have similar grip, and during hard straight-line acceleration. If either tire has a lot less grip than the other it will spin as the loading on the clutch packs will be significantly unequal. Also, once one tire does break loose (meaning it suddenly has a whole lot less grip than the other) the whole thing breaks down until the forces, loading of the clutch packs) once again equalise.

There are also other scenarios where the load/friction on the clutches in unequal (such as while turning when one set of clutches is already slipping) and you will get a "one wheel peel".

The short story is that an LSD is not a "locker" and will never be a locker--over the years I have probably seen more clutch type LSDs being unnecessarily rebuilt, than I have being rebuilt because they needed it.

Quick Reply: One Wheel Peel