4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

in need of 01 gt help, please

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 03:36 PM
mustang manac

Default in need of 01 gt help, please

I have a 2001 mustang gt. My fuel tank filler neck along with my fuel tank filler neck seal need to be replaced. I leak gas everytime I fill up. Instead of paying $1,000 which was one of my estimates, i'm going to buy it off amazon for $200 and do it myself. I am by far no mechanic. Now my question to all of you out there who have done this before can you kinda walk me through it and give me common mistakes made while doing it and tips of advice to help me along. Also pictures or videos would be greatly useful. Thanks any and all help is appreciated.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:37 PM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

If you pull the carpet panels in the trunk up you should be able to see the filler partially
Old 11-08-2010, 05:26 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Here are all the fuel tank RnR procedures from the shop manual, you will have to drop the fuel tank to replace the filler neck...
Old 11-08-2010, 08:49 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Here are all the fuel tank RnR procedures from the shop manual, you will have to drop the fuel tank to replace the filler neck...
Are you sure you want to get involved in this...Not sure this is a quick fix...no disrespect or anything.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:58 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I agree that it is not a trivial task, however if the OP wishes to take it on it is not beyond the realm of human endeavor either--if one never does these things there is NO opportunity to learn.

There will be a need to purchase some lifting tools (a floor jack and some jack stands), and perhaps other tools depending on the OP's current tool set--Harbor Freight is a good place to do that, and you get to keep the tools when done.

This said however an alternative may be to get the parts needed and find a local repair shop with reasonable "by-the-job" pricing, as opposed to hourly rates, and have them do the work. It is not as complex or time consuming as it "reads" and a competent local shop may do it for a couple hundred or even less if the tank is run down low first...
Old 11-08-2010, 09:04 PM
mustang manac

No disrespect is taken. That manual kinda sacred me off until i ran across this http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...ck-gasket.html and that gives me a little hope. Plus I'm not completely out of the loop on working on cars just never dropped the tank on my mustang and i have every tool i need already. So I'm hoping it goes good. I have a buddy who built a 01 gt frame up, I'm just trying to prove to him i can do it without his help. If not case of beer then.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:00 AM
stangt08
1st Gear Member

good luck hope its a quick no problem job for ya
Old 11-09-2010, 12:50 PM
mustang manac

Thanks I'm going to take pictures to share with everyone in case of mistakes or something breaks.

By the way i forgot to thanks you cliffyk for the manual. Didn't mean to come off ungreatful.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Case's97GT
1st Gear Member

I had the same issue on my car and decided to have a buddys shop do it for me. Hope you get it going
Old 11-11-2010, 12:38 AM
sailorflavor
2nd Gear Member

when I put in my high flow fuel pump I buggered up my filler neck and gasket and replaced them. It took about 1 hour to do it by myself with a 1/2 tank of gas in it. (recommend empty btw) and when I reinstalled it it worked great! The job itself is pretty self explanatory. Take down some bolts under car and in fuel door, drop tank, replace filler neck and gasket! Easy peasy pumpkin breezy!