4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

1000hp+ Cobra Queestion...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 11:48 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

FYI I'm pretty sure that is a Mark VIII 4V. Still pretty cool to see a 4V in a T-bird I don't know why more people dont do it.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:49 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 533y4
Pretty much a "street legal" (under antique plate rules (another 5 years!!!)) drag car that will run anything on the strip or street. That and everyone with a V8 always goes to 900HP and stops. That and I want to be unique. Supercharged and twin turbo'd. Maybe some nitrous for the strip.
Maybe where you're from. Where I live my 700rwhp beater was considered slow and the 1600rwhp 96 cobra down the street was getting it's *** handed to it by a 1600rwhp vette. All street cars that barely saw the track.

Supercharged and twin turboed is not unique, hell my roommate drives his twin turboed with eaton to work everyday (makes 900rwhp).

If you want over 1000hp get the mod motor out of there unless you have an unlimited budget.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

And time. All work and labor is being done myself (except the tune). I've estimated about $50k when it's said and done. Saving a lot on labor, because of my self-labor. This is going to be a 5 year project too, so it's not like it's all coming together in the next year. I'm currently stripping out the car, and prepping it for a new paint job.

Black-on-black. Stripped race interior, with dark tint (I love antique plates) and tinted lights. It's rice-ish, but it'll look good. My last T-Bird (motor blew apart, and I didn't want to fix it) was done that way. Looked great!
50 k is nice, I would buy a low mileaged Z06 and drop 10K into mods like a blower and cams
Old 12-19-2010, 01:41 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

And time. All work and labor is being done myself (except the tune). I've estimated about $50k when it's said and done. Saving a lot on labor, because of my self-labor. This is going to be a 5 year project too, so it's not like it's all coming together in the next year. I'm currently stripping out the car, and prepping it for a new paint job.

Black-on-black. Stripped race interior, with dark tint (I love antique plates) and tinted lights. It's rice-ish, but it'll look good. My last T-Bird (motor blew apart, and I didn't want to fix it) was done that way. Looked great!
If it cost you $50k to build 1000hp then you're doing something wrong. It's only costing me $60k to build my 3000hp outlaw car. There is a guy selling a 96 mystic cobra with 1200rwhp on the bullet for around $30k. Save yourself some money and buy that.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:01 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by oxfordgt
If it cost you $50k to build 1000hp then you're doing something wrong. It's only costing me $60k to build my 3000hp outlaw car. There is a guy selling a 96 mystic cobra with 1200rwhp on the bullet for around $30k. Save yourself some money and buy that.
Speaking of, any progress on the outlaw since we've seen it last?
Old 12-19-2010, 09:07 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

No it's stored in the garage till I get home next month. Engine, trans and turbo's are sitting in the garage ready to go in.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:22 PM
tron2003
2nd Gear Member

Rearend: I know a lot of people are running some serious power through the 8.8, with some upgraded goodies of course but it's hard to beat the the good old 9"

Trans:built up Powerglide, the initial investment will be worth every penny in the long run.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:35 PM
533y4

Originally Posted by BraMas
FYI I'm pretty sure that is a Mark VIII 4V. Still pretty cool to see a 4V in a T-bird I don't know why more people dont do it.
Those 2V SOHC motors are really junk from factory. Rods are a joke. Either way, Cobra or Mark VIII, same block. Internals are being changed out anyway. All I'm going to reuse for my build is the block. Everything else is 100% brand new (nearly custom parts). Especially the exhaust. Did you ever see a T-Bird with true dual exhaust?

Maybe where you're from. Where I live my 700rwhp beater was considered slow and the 1600rwhp 96 cobra down the street was getting it's *** handed to it by a 1600rwhp vette. All street cars that barely saw the track.

Supercharged and twin turboed is not unique, hell my roommate drives his twin turboed with eaton to work everyday (makes 900rwhp).

If you want over 1000hp get the mod motor out of there unless you have an unlimited budget.
Around here, there are mostly riced out Civics making 400WHP, and Mustangs/Challengers making 900WHP. 700WHP (under a OBD-I regular plate) is the state max. No one, and I mean no one around here has a twin system. Everyone is under the impression that turbo and super together are impossible. So around this part of the US its VERY unique. Plus there are more pot-holes than road. BTW, "mod motor"? Explain... Do you mean the Teksid? Everyone always said the Teksid is one of the best (if not best block) possible.

Also, 50K is the limit I'm giving myself for everything left. Paint, the rest of the salvage body work, exhaust, possible (in worse case) labor cost, and misc parts (bolts and hangers anyone?), etc. That is the cost of everything that has left to be done before I see perfection.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:43 PM
533y4

But to answer his question an 8.8 with 33 spline axles, auburn diff, 9" ends, welded tubes and braced axle housing will handles around 1700hp. Use a spool and 35 spline axles and it will handle 2000+hp.
BTW, this does answer the forum "topic" of how to build a "bullet proof" rear end. Thanks...
Old 12-20-2010, 12:06 AM
NinjaMonky
1st Gear Member

I'm not tryin to hate or nothin, but it sounds like you have alot to learn about these modular motors. But if you got the money you can do it, some people criticized you earlier for asking some pretty basic questions, I know I've asked a ton of stupid questions on here but its how i learned. I see you seem to be getting alot of hate but when your goals are high you gotta expect it. With your budget its definitely do-able. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 1000hp+ Cobra Queestion...