4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Is it possible to put a V8 in a V6 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 01:03 PM
memphismustang38108

Originally Posted by SilverStallion05
Putting a S/C on what? Your current engine?
if possible yes. I saw some guy on here said they did it with some assembly required of course.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:19 PM
SilverStallion05
2nd Gear Member

Well... It would affect your torque and HP obviously. Lol. But what else are you concerned about it affecting?
Old 03-21-2011, 03:27 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

i mean yeah it'd give you a nice gain, you could even go with a 4.2 stoker or some sort of built sixxer with an eaton supercharger on top, maybe lil' roush can chime in here thats not exactly what i'd call my area of expertise, the only sixes i've ever looked into are inline and mostly jap.

Paying someone to do all the work for you is gonna cost almost as much as the swap or build itself... if not more, defenetly would be better off selling the six and buying a GT or cobra.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:03 PM
memphismustang38108

cant be to hard. i would love to take it all apart to learn more about it.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:10 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by memphismustang38108
cant be to hard. i would love to take it all apart to learn more about it.
Lol if its not that hard tell me why performance shops or any mechanics are still in business to begin with? I'm all for learning how to do stuff yourself but i just hope you have something else to drive and a whole lot of money, the little stuff adds up quick. Besides that fact, they don"t exactly make kits that give you everything you need and have step by step instructions( to my knowledge anyway) I feel like you should have a bit more mechanical knowledge than you seem to have. Not trying to be an *******, just trying to be realistic and make sure you have an understanding of what you're actually getting into.

Also, may i remind you of the title of this thread? You didn't even know it was possible but yet have the audacitiy to say it can't be that hard.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:37 PM
SilverStallion05
2nd Gear Member

Gotta keep in mind the tools and equipment you would need. That costs more as well.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:43 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Get into the V6 section and poke around. A little reading will take you a long way. There are several guys who know the V6 inside and out, and they'd be happy to help you out.

If you can, return the cold air intake. They don't do anything worth noting on the V6. Same power gains can be scooped up by a K&N drop in air filter and your stock intake tube.

You'll want to open up the exhaust behind the midpipe (dual exhaust of some kind). Magnaflow and Spin Tech are you best bet for power/sound. Flowmaster will get you sound, but free up less power.

I'd just put a supercharger on it and call it a day. Quickest, most price efficient way to make power on the 3.8L without going over board. Don't waste time on nickle and diming your way to power with little things.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:39 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

My friends and I just did this swap 2 weeks ago.... V6 Auto to v8 manual.

It is a bitch and took us a solid week of all day labor (there were about 3 of us always working, with up to 6 people helping)

Like everybody has mentioned, you will need the wireing harnes and all that stuff. things they dont mention is that your brake lines need to be fitted to match the new hydro boost and will not just bolt right up. Its small things like that. ABS will probally not function properly, you you will need a new computer for a v8... that will need to be linked to the instrument panel and you will need to find a way to get it to work with your ignition cylinder (the key part)
Old 03-21-2011, 10:41 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilverStallion05
Gotta keep in mind the tools and equipment you would need. That costs more as well.
good point as well, tools are NOT cheap.... esp specialty tools.

Originally Posted by 0949er
My friends and I just did this swap 2 weeks ago.... V6 Auto to v8 manual.

It is a bitch and took us a solid week of all day labor (there were about 3 of us always working, with up to 6 people helping)

Like everybody has mentioned, you will need the wireing harnes and all that stuff. things they dont mention is that your brake lines need to be fitted to match the new hydro boost and will not just bolt right up. Its small things like that. ABS will probally not function properly, you you will need a new computer for a v8... that will need to be linked to the instrument panel and you will need to find a way to get it to work with your ignition cylinder (the key part)
(insert pic of chalkboard saying "you could learn a lot by paying attention here."
Old 03-21-2011, 11:14 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

from the few posts i actually read, it seems you'd be better of selling your 6'er and getting a GT or modding the 6'er.

by the time you have the know-how, cash, and time to do all that is involved in a motor swap - unless you come across some freakish deals, there will probably be plenty of 5.0 coyote motors laying around. you would then be far underpowered and in the same position as most of the regular New Edge GT owners.

so i say, if you want power, save up for a new 5.0 (and not just the motor)

i'm not saying it cant be done, i'm just saying there's many many other options out there that i feel would be far better.

also keep in mind, that if you did upgrade to the GT motor/trans -- the rear end in them v6's is still just a 7.5" - which are weak as hell. so that'd be one more thing to upgrade. its the little nit-noid things like that, they just add up. i figured 5k for my motor build for a blown piston/rod, i'm up to about 6300.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to put a V8 in a V6 Mustang