4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Sputtering/hesitation in part throttle

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 06:38 PM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

TPS could definitely cause the issues above. If the TPS is falsely reading, it may read wide open, and idle fine as they are the extremes, however anything between that could be a cluster**** if the TPS is giving false voltages during partial throttle.

It could be reading messed up, and the engine thinks it has more throttle than it does. Remember, at WOT the pcm pulls injector data from collected MAF data, and the TPS is really doing nothing. However at partial throttle, the TPS and MAF are used to determine how much air at any given time is being allowed through the throttle body at a said amount of opening.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:23 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KillJoy
TPS could definitely cause the issues above. If the TPS is falsely reading, it may read wide open, and idle fine as they are the extremes, however anything between that could be a cluster**** if the TPS is giving false voltages during partial throttle.

It could be reading messed up, and the engine thinks it has more throttle than it does. Remember, at WOT the pcm pulls injector data from collected MAF data, and the TPS is really doing nothing. However at partial throttle, the TPS and MAF are used to determine how much air at any given time is being allowed through the throttle body at a said amount of opening.
Hmmmm. How about I bring the beast down there and give you and dougie for a ride on saturday to witness this first hand?
Old 03-24-2011, 11:20 AM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jvog
Hmmmm. How about I bring the beast down there and give you and dougie for a ride on saturday to witness this first hand?
Works for me, brah. I'll pm you my number.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:23 PM
SoonerMach

hey man, been watching this thread for a while because i was haveing issues with my 04 Mach1. pretty much the same stuff your describing. I take pride in my rides and when i want to put my foot in any of them I expect them to do what they SHOULD do! so, i replaced fuel pump, intake gasket, o2 sensors. i tested every sensor and relay, more than once, and they all checked out. but there was 1 sensor that i could not find a test for. anyway, it was my fuel rail pressure sensor. on mine its mounted on the front of driver side rail. it has an elec connection and a vacuum going to it. costed $120 at the ford house, its the only place to buy it! hope this helps, peace!
Old 05-02-2011, 11:05 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SoonerMach
hey man, been watching this thread for a while because i was haveing issues with my 04 Mach1. pretty much the same stuff your describing. I take pride in my rides and when i want to put my foot in any of them I expect them to do what they SHOULD do! so, i replaced fuel pump, intake gasket, o2 sensors. i tested every sensor and relay, more than once, and they all checked out. but there was 1 sensor that i could not find a test for. anyway, it was my fuel rail pressure sensor. on mine its mounted on the front of driver side rail. it has an elec connection and a vacuum going to it. costed $120 at the ford house, its the only place to buy it! hope this helps, peace!
Its a possibility, I'll have to check it out. Thanks
Old 05-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Romer
2nd Gear Member

Where is your MAF located?

I had similar issues and it was caused by air hitting the MAF at velocity in the fender through my aftermarket front bumper

I made a simple shield from sheet metal and it fixed the problem.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:55 PM
StangKid018
3rd Gear Member

I Bet you need new coil pack(s), my friend just had to do this to his 02 GT because his cylinder 1 was misfiring because he washed his engine without covering the necessary parts and he ended up shorting it out. Get new pack(s) and youll be good to go man.

And his car was doing the same as yours hesitant and sputter.

Last edited by StangKid018; 05-03-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:47 PM
TheCrimzonKnight
3rd Gear Member

^^^This. My old GT was doing the same thing. I got some weapon x cop and it ran like a champ. Now you don't have to get those but I bet thats the problem. Don't get accel ones there garbage, trust me I know.